All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Another Fiber Question
      #169377 - 04/12/05 06:19 PM
taconno

Reged: 01/30/03

Hello,
I have a question about fiber supplements, and I apologize if this has been asked a million times before (someone got annoyed with me for asking a question that is "always" asked a while ago so please bear with me).
Last December, a doctor I met with also had IBS and was such a relief because he could sort out all of the various do's and don'ts I had heard over the years. He recommended Konsyl (absolutely the powder only, which tastes terrible but I put in oatmeal). I also sometimes use Benefiber, which I don't find works as well. Anyways, ever since, I have been so much better (not great) and my husband can tell a huge difference. But it seems that I get almost a tolerance to it and it tends not to work as well over time, even increasing the dosage. Recently, I was looking at an IBS site from the Mayo Clinic, and it stated that fiber is good, but should not be used daily, as your body can come to rely on it and you cannot go off of it and have your digestive system work without it. Needless to say, for me it really doesn't work without it anyways, as my husband pointed out to me. But, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they have heard anything like this from a medical professional as well. One great comment from me, I am now pretty much Pepto Bismol free for the first time in my life!!!! Any comments. Thanks for everyone's support. This site has physically and emotionally helped me in so many ways!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Another Fiber Question new
      #169382 - 04/12/05 06:50 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

First of all, congratulations on being pepto-bismol free! Even though you're not feeling great (yet!) that's good progress. Hang in there! I'm sorry someone got annoyed with you, but I'm glad you're back and asking questions. (Maybe that person was having a bad IBS day and was just irritable. )

I haven't heard anything about building a tolerance to fiber supplements. I wonder if regularly switching among SFS would help or if you'd have better long term results getting more fiber from food? Have you tried Heather's acacia or anything other than Benefiber or what your dr gave you?

I went to mayoclinic.com to look for that article you mentioned. I only came up with this question and answer regarding long term use of fiber supplements. It actually suggests people suffering from IBS should use an SFS indefinitely. Would you be able to provide a link to that article you refer to?

#169386 - 04/12/05 07:30 PM
taconno

The site you linked to does seem to support the use of daily fiber supplements. I will try to link the address here. http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objectid=701D9D6A-2877-4596-B7CBB9C8BF8B6DD7&MOTT=AN00130
Sorry, I don't think that worked well, but maybe if you copy and paste into the address bar? The information is at the bottom of the page and the title is called Don't be lax about laxatives. I may just be reading too much into it, but I was just wondering if that was why my fiber supplement was seeming to not work as well after a while. Have you tried the Acacia? Does it work well?

I know Kandee mixes them up new
      #169390 - 04/12/05 07:47 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

She takes like 4 different kinds in the same day. FiberChoice, Acacia (as she bakes with this one), Konosyl, apple pectin, and maybe some others. I don't know if it's because of the tolerance factor, but perhaps so. That would explain it.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#169391 - 04/12/05 07:50 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

No, I haven't tried acacia but I've heard a lot of good things about it from others on the board. I've been using Benefiber since December, and it's been working fine for me (although I've been forgetting to take it the past couple of weeks ). I take 1/4 tsp twice a day. I also get soluble fiber through diet (Luna bars!).

Thanks for providing the link--it worked! That is confusing information, yet I feel that last part was mostly aimed at true laxatives (stimulants). I hate to play the linky-link-game, but you got me wondering so I did a search on this site for more SFS info. Here's what Heather had to say about SFS and long term use. And here's a previous discussion about building up a tolerance to SFS.

#169396 - 04/12/05 08:55 PM
taconno

Wow, you are good at this! I guess I should have looked a little more. I'm glad someone else is having this problem too! I guess I thought I was doing well because every morn I started with a tsp Konsyl in my oatmeal with wheat toast, and yup I love the Luna Bars too!! Then I would put a tbsp of Benefiber at night. I think that is about 10g of soluble fiber mixed with some insoluble for good luck! (I can handle wheat pretty well.) But, honestly, I have slipped on the Benefiber myself for a while.
It's funny about the Mayo website. My PCP once told me he hates how much medical information is on the web because at least 90% is wrong or contradictory and many people self diagnose wrongly because of it. It's scary the Mayo site wouldn't be a little clearer, but that's why I rely on this site. My PCP had never heard of Acacia either. Maybe he should have? Anyways, I may try it. Thanks for all of your help!!!!

Sorry if I'm butting in but ... new
      #169397 - 04/12/05 08:55 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I use acacia and it works well for me (I'm IBS-D). As everyone keeps saying over and over and over, start low and go slow. I started with 1/2 tsp once a day and increased by 1/2 tsp every 3 days or more.

I also remember that Kandee mixes hers up. I think it has to do with being IBS-C; from some of the posts I get the impression that some C people have to fiddle more with their SFS than Ds. Sorry, very vague, here, since I'm D and didn't pay a whole lot of attention. You might try searching for "Kandee acacia benefiber" and see if you can hit her post or posts.

(Someday we need a way to see A, C, D next to everyone's name.)

I don't think you can become resistant to SFS - I think taking one is like eating lots and lots of bread or bowls and bowls of white rice. What you're getting is just soft bulk (sorry, TMI). Like Maria, I think the Mayo warning is for true laxatives.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I'm a "C" and I mix and match... new
      #169405 - 04/12/05 09:57 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

but always have some Acacia and Konsyl daily. I take the Acacia during the day when home, either straight in water or in baked goodies, but take the Konsyl at night, just before bedtime, because of the bloat factor. When I travel I like the ease of taking Fiber Choice tabs, especially before meals. I also add some apple pectin caps in there when I think of it. But to tell the truth I've had fairly good luck with Benefiber and Citrucel too. I PREFER Acacia because of it's purity and because of the prebiotic factor. The only ones that didn't do a thing for me was Equalatin and FiberCon. I suspect it is because they are calcium based and seem to be better for "D"s. But believe me, everyone here is different and you have to find what works for you...it's all trial and error..
But yes, I love Konsyl for the "C".. if you can handle the straight psyllium, then Konsyl is a great choice because it is ground differently. It adds a degree of bulk to stools that no other SFS will. Kandee

--------------------

You got the wrong end of the stick with that info! new
      #169430 - 04/13/05 04:00 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

The site is NOT at all clear. SFSs are in a totally different category to stimulant laxatives (which you should NOT take as they are dependency-creating). Take SFSs forever if they control your IBS! I'm certainly going to.

And, fyi, I take Acacia.

Right on.. new
      #169502 - 04/13/05 08:10 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

The site is NOT at all clear. SFSs are in a totally different category to stimulant laxatives Yes, and how many times has Heather stressed this over and over and over again! (which you should NOT take as they are dependency-creating). Take SFSs forever if they control your IBS! I'm certainly going to. Oh Yeah, me too Linz..that plus probiotics and digestive enzymes and exercise.Kandee

And, fyi, I take Acacia.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 311 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3948

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review