All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Probiotics---advice?
      #169241 - 04/12/05 10:43 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I've just come back from two weeks of traveling (one week for work, one for fun) and my digestive system is all a wreck! Anyway, I've been hearing a lot about probiotics on this board and I'd like to give it a try. (Currently trying to wean myself off dairy as well. First attempt at soymilk was moderately successful). Anyway, can anyone direct me where to look in the U.S.?? I have no idea where to buy any in capsule form, or what to look for. Thanks!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Probiotics---advice? new
      #169245 - 04/12/05 10:53 AM
Silver

Reged: 10/22/04

i swear by probiotics and i definately think they will help you. you can buy them at many place, like natural pharmacy's, health food stores and vitamin stores. get ones that have to be refridgerated like Udo's Choice. i am currenly taking primal defense which are HSO's and it has made a difference for the better.

#169345 - 04/12/05 03:33 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

OK I'm not in the US but I'm pretty sure that you can get them at most drug stores or HFSs. From research I've done on this, there aren't really any superior brands - just make sure you pick one with no fewer than 1 billion organisms per capsule (most have much more - the more the better and if you can find one pick one labeled "superstrain"). Also make sure you get one that needs to be refridgerated (if it doesn't that's your signal that all the organisms are dead and won't help you anyway!). Take them with food, and keep in mind that you need to give it a few months or so before you'll start noticing results.

I'd really recommend probiotics - I know I've had a lot of success with them. The key is to give them time though! Good luck!

Thanks! new
      #169387 - 04/12/05 07:36 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Thanks for your help ladies....I'll be heading to the health food store tomorrow to stock up on various things to try. I appreciate it!

--------------------

#170006 - 04/14/05 09:52 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

So it really takes months for it to start working? Awhile ago I bought a bottle of these chewable probiotics, do you think that's a good one to have? It says each tablet has 90mg of L.Acidophilus and 25mg of L.bifidus. How many should I be taking a day?

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2103 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 537

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review