Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
3 questions I'd love to know bout you all too
      #168969 - 04/11/05 02:33 PM
ToilettPrisoner

Reged: 02/20/05

How old are you??

How old were you when IBS began?

How old were you diagnosed?

How long have you been helped "Heather style"?

Uh oh that was more than 3, sowwy!

Ok I'M 25.
I'm suspecting I've had IBS since about age 16 actually, but it was pretty mild. It got worse with age and reared it's very ugly obvious head after my Csection 1-9-04.

I've never been officially diagnosed.
A Dr said I was "classic IBS" tho when I finnaly saw a Dr in July '04. It was then I became aware of what it was I had...before then I had NEVER heared of IBS. Thankyou Google!

I think around late Jan '05 I began treatment "Heather Style". And a month ago began taking the Acacia and Fennell tea and caps an all she sells.

Ok your turn!
And can you give me an idea what lies ahead for me?? How long before you saw improvement?
THANX!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 3 questions I'd love to know bout you all too new
      #168971 - 04/11/05 02:44 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hi!

I'm 23 years old

My IBS began when I was about 16 I think but it was really sporadic. When I was little I wouldn't go for days, but it never bothered me or hurt. Then when I got older i'd randomly get D when I ate mcdonalds or something like that but not always. When I got to college it became way worse, and now i'm all D.

I was diagnosed at around 17, before it got too bad, but when it was definitly there.

I have been following heathers guidlines since last april. To be honest I haven't seen significant improvement, but it has helped a little. I tried the acacia for six months, got to the highest dose and it didn't help, so right now i'm just watching what I eat, and hoping the FDA approves a new med for IBSD thats not gonna harm me, kill me or have bad side effects. My IBS isn't terrible, and I can live with it. I've crapped in many a walmart or mall, but there are way worse things. I generally just pop some immodium if i'm desperate. I don't let it immobilize me one bit.

--------------------

#168972 - 04/11/05 02:45 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I am 33.

I suspect I've had IBS symtoms for at least 10 years, but they were very mild up until recently. Everything started going haywire last fall.

I was 32 when I was diagnosed, but it was only about a week before my 33rd birthday.

I've been trying to do Heather's diet to some degree since mid-late February. It helps a lot, but I still have gas to some degree and am working on getting the IF balance right. I'm waiting for my first shipment of fennel tea and hoping for the very best!

#168976 - 04/11/05 02:50 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Quote:

How old are you?? 29

How old were you when IBS began? around 19 but not bad enough that I went to the doc. It got real bad this past summer.

How old were you diagnosed? 28

How long have you been helped "Heather style"? about 8 months. I find most of the guide lines ar every helpfull. I don't take an SFs though, it made things much worse in the trapped gas area. I have learned to handle my IBS and it doesn't realy stop me from doing anything like I thought it would.
HUGS

--------------------
Heather7476

#168993 - 04/11/05 03:18 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

lets see...

I'm 33 now...
I have had IBS since I was probably about 10/12, wasn't officially diagnosed until a few years ago... it was sporadic, major triggers were bad, and high stress times but otherwise it was ok for years....

and I've been on this diet since I changed docs and she gave me this site among others last fall...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#169001 - 04/11/05 03:24 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

How old are you??
How old were you when IBS began?
28 when got very bad, have been "sensitive" to certain foods
for about three or four years on and off, and have been suffering terribly after alcohol for about a year before diagnosis. Abdominal cramps are my main symptom as opposed to D or C.
How old were you diagnosed?
28, last August (hmm repetition...)
How long have you been helped "Heather style"?
The day I was diagnosed I googled and found this site.

--------------------
S.

#169021 - 04/11/05 03:54 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

How old are you??

How old were you when IBS began? I had C really bad as a kid. Then as a teen I started getting D out of the blue.

How old were you diagnosed? Not really sure. Everyone knew I had IBS since it runs in the family. Sometime in my early 20's I saw a GI doc and had an upper GI and small bowel follow through and he went ahead and diagnosed me with IBS.

How long have you been helped "Heather style"? Since last April, after a particularly bad spell. Went more strict in June. Hey today is my one year anniversary!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#169023 - 04/11/05 04:00 PM
kidsx4

Reged: 04/02/05
Loc: Fairfax, VA

I am answering for my son, Brian. He is ll and was diagnosed in March. We've only been using Heather's diet for a month, but along with medication, there is a tremendous improvement. He is back in school and learning the proper way to eat. We are very fortunate to have found a great pediatric GI doc.

I'd like to know if there are any other children out there with IBS. I find this site a wealth of information but have not come across any other parent of an IBS child. He'd like to know that he's not the only kid out there with this affliction.

#169027 - 04/11/05 04:08 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Quote:

How old are you?? 20

How old were you when IBS began? I realize now that I've probably had it my whole life - to varying degrees. I've had random D and cramps and such most of my life, but it only started getting really bad (such that it was seriously interfereing with my life) about a year and a half ago.

How old were you diagnosed? I "self-diagnosed" myself with IBS a year ago (that would be age 19, after having vaguely suspected it for a while). I was officially diagnosed by a doctor with all the tests and such last summer.

How long have you been helped "Heather style"? Pretty much since I "self-diagnosed." It started to help immediately but I still wanted to go to the doctor to be sure there wasn't something worse wrong with me (well, my boyfriend forced me to go to make sure of that... I'm not a big doctor-fan, lol). It definitely has helped me *a lot* since then. I don't think I would consider myself "stable" but I certainly know how to control it, and it doesn't interfere with my life for the most part any more. I saw improvement probably within the first few weeks of being on the diet simply because I was able to identify triggers I hadn't suspected (like whole wheat) and to employ eating strategies that ensure I don't feel sick after eating anything (SF base, eating small meals every few hours, low fat etc.). So that helped a lot. A few months later I went on acacia and within a few weeks of that I saw more major improvement - D lessened significantly and cramps and bloating too. I still get all three of those things but they are certainly improved from before. I've also seen improvement with digestive enzymes, probiotics and peppermint caps - all of which I take regularly.

I think what remains between me and getting stable is lifestyle factors - getting enough sleep, less stress, more exercise (though I've been doing well with that lately), eating often, etc. I *know* I can be stable if I diligently stick to those (as I've had stable periods before), so I know this diet and strategy works for me. It's just a matter of staying low-stress, getting lots of sleep etc., which is difficult in university!

Re: 3 questions I'd love to know bout you all too
      #169030 - 04/11/05 04:12 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

I'm 24
My IBS started probalby as young as 13 but got out of control around 22
I'm not diagnosed because my doctors wont give me a time of day...
I've followed the diet for about 3 months now...I LOVE IT!I THANK GOOGLE TOO!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2166 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5905

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review