All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What should I do?
      #168588 - 04/09/05 05:54 PM
jonsie57

Reged: 06/08/04
Loc: dallas, texas

Dont want to make this a long post. But i need help. Been diagonsed with IBS for years. However as i have gotten older it seems to have gotten worse. major flare up last year at this time. Found this site and it has helped me so much. Here's my dilemma..Havent really had a flareup until 2 weeks ago. Was off the diet and joined ww..One night after eating amys roasted vege pizza i had a major attack. Very bad cramps, "D" and feeling lousy. Followed heather's advise with "what not to eat when you cant eat anything. It took 4 days to feel better w/o D...However I can no longer eat anything with whey or glutten. I immediately get "D". I have been lactose Intolerate for yrs, but now it seems anything I eat gives me "D". did you know that most cereals contain whey or some type of dairy in it.? I had special K and 2 hrs later "D" again. I am so disgusted. I am having major dental surgery in a few weeks and the antibiotics will of course give me "D"...I dont know what to do.
ANy suggestions would be helpful. BTW Any fiber also gives me "D"...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What should I do? new
      #168598 - 04/09/05 07:09 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I just recommended Amy's pizza! Still I eat it ok.

Anyway, there are others here who cannot even handle dairy fractions at all and some are gluten free too. I am not so I can't give much advice. Board searching might help or hopefully on Monday when people come here again someone (like Amie) will give advice on staying completely dairy free.
Also Special K had HFCS in it so shouldn't be eaten anyway. So go very strict for a while to get stable and then see what you can do. Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#168644 - 04/10/05 01:56 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yeah you really have to check every label until you know "your" foods. I avoided whey and casein completely while stabilising...and now only have it occasioanlly.

If you think you are gluten sensitive, you should get tested and then probably try an exlcusion diet (cut it out COMPLETELY for a month, the reintroduce it and monitor your symproms the whole time). You'll need more of a gluten expert to help you on that as it's in lots of weird things.

some suggestions... new
      #168645 - 04/10/05 04:22 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

try just going dairy and hfcs free and if that helps... if it doesn't then try gluten free... you may not need all 3 but unfortunately the only tests are trial and error....

I have a family history fo dairy allergies and I have started breaking out in hives with dairy so I completely avoid it... its not easy- means a ton of label reading by everyone but it is possible. *HUG* and good luck.. if you need more specific help let me know. I tend to avoid frozen things that aren't labeled as vegan or that I didn't read labels on carefully= especially amy's stuff a lot of that has a ton of dairy in it!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: some suggestions... new
      #168646 - 04/10/05 04:25 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

try just going dairy and hfcs free and if that helps... if it doesn't then try gluten free... you may not need all 3 but unfortunately the only tests are trial and error....
great suggestion!
I have a family history fo dairy allergies and I have started breaking out in hives with dairy so I completely avoid it... its not easy- means a ton of label reading by everyone but it is possible. *HUG* and good luck.. if you need more specific help let me know. I tend to avoid frozen things that aren't labeled as vegan or that I didn't read labels on carefully= especially amy's stuff a lot of that has a ton of dairy in it! Yep only the two I mentioned are dairy free I think.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

actually my favorite amy's... new
      #168658 - 04/10/05 05:48 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

is her vegan shephards pie! yummy.. dairy free.. not too high fat...though it has some.. and lots of potatoes on top to make it Sf to go with the IF insides...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#168696 - 04/10/05 11:10 AM
jonsie57

Thank you for your replies and support. Reading every label sounds almost impossible to do. I do try to stay away from prepackaged foods. I just thought amys was safe. I completely stay away from dairy but many products have it hidden. I will reread heather's book and this site and take it from there.
Thanks all again for caring.

maybe this??? new
      #168720 - 04/10/05 02:14 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

first off let me tell you...the smaller sugars [glucose and galactose] that help digest milk-products very often disapear after infants are weaned; and most adults have little left. so dont let yourself feel singled out b/c you are lactose-intolerant i noticed the way you mentioned it in your post was sort-of informative to make aware of a special diet. dont worry, i mention that im a vegan alot b/c for most things i feel singled out about my special diet too!

and second..maybe this will help. i remember reading about something to stop D called the BRAT diet.

B-bananas
R-rice
A-applesauce
T-toast

i eat rice and applesauce and alot of toast and havent noticed too much a difference as im a C and heathers diet seems to lean towards eating those things. but i eat them and feel MORE C. maybe it could "stop" you up enough to get stable?? i hope that works for you!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Re: maybe this??? new
      #168761 - 04/10/05 06:47 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

BRAT definitely stops D. I'm a vegan, too.

Re: maybe this??? new
      #169078 - 04/11/05 07:21 PM
jonsie57

So let me ask this question...Do I need to stay on the BRAT diet for a very long time? Today I thought I was okay and ate a few things away from the diet and lo and behold the gas came back and that bloated feeling as well..BTW I didnt mention that I take zantac twice day @150 mg...this helps with the acid reflux..I feel like I am such a mess...I just know that I can only eat small amounts of food and plain food at that. But for how long?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 844 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1026

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review