All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Food Additives
      #16821 - 08/09/03 02:26 PM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Is anyone familiar with these books and info from Australia regarding food additives? I found this website when I was looking for some additional information on one of my symptoms. A lot of the symptoms described for intolerance to food additives and salicylates sound like what I've been experiencing. But the diet sounds really restrictive and difficult to follow. Curious if any of you are familiar with this theory. http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Food Additives new
      #16843 - 08/09/03 05:33 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

This is one of the better websites I've seen regarding food additives.
I've done alot of research on the topic, because my 7 year old has been a hand full since the day he was born. He use to scream 2-3 hours at a time and my husband and I didn't know what to do. The first time I took him to a doctor about his behavior, he was two and the doctor wanted to put him on medication. I took him to another one and I got the same answer.
We were living in Texas at the time and we had friends from Germany and South Afica and they told us foods were the source of his problems. After research about additives we took red color, yellow color, MSG and anything related to nurtra sweet out of his diet. The hardest thing was finding medications without food color added to it and meat. Thank goodnees Bendryl makes a dye free brand. He was getting bite by fire ants all the time. He thought they were fun to play with.
Try to cook as much as you can from scratch. Wash your fruits and veggies well - or grow veggies like I do. One of my friends told me to buy only organic meat and organic eggs, because of the hormones pumped into the animals. We have a local farmers market that sells organic products for less than the stores.
I too avoid additives as much as I can. Good luck on finding what triggers your IBS. I avoid MSG, food color, nutra sweet. I'll e-mail my sister-n-law for a website she sent to me a few months ago about how MSG affects IBS.
Hope this helps.
Barb

#16983 - 08/11/03 02:10 PM
Judithg

Thanks, Barbara--very interesting stuff. I have been really trying to stick to cooking everything from scratch, as well as buying organic. All fairly difficult for me as I am really not a cook! I just try to keep it really simple.

One thing on the food additives website that sort of worried me: the author talks a lot about salicylates and their effect. When I read the symptoms of salicylate sensitivity, it sure sounded like what I experience. But then I realized that salicylates are contained in varying amounts in anything that is plant based! I don't fully understand how it would be possible to avoid them. Have you heard anything about this issue?

I may try to get hold of the book to read up, but I just hate to think of eliminating even MORE foods from diet. Eek!

Thanks for your post.
Judithg

#17029 - 08/12/03 09:00 AM
BarbaraS

Hi Judith,
I need to do more reading about salicylates before giving an opinion. From what I read I understood small amounts are okay, but if you can not even eat small amounts - what can you eat? Where did you find the symptoms of salicylates? I couldn't find it.
I'm not very cook myself, so I try to stick with the basics. I switch seasonings (look at the ingred. before buying) and when I have left over chicken or turkey I make soups or cass. with it. Everyone is adjusting to the diet changes. Of course my family still indulges the pizzas and other high fat foods and I'm use to making something seperate for myself.
Hang in there with the cooking. You will get it.

#17054 - 08/12/03 11:45 AM
Judithg

Thanks for your encouragement, Barbara. It sure can be a struggle.

I will check the site again for the salicylate symptoms. There's a lot on that site, and it was in one of the articles. Will get back to you with a link.

Thanks so much!
Judithg

Link new
      #17059 - 08/12/03 12:09 PM
Judithg

Barbara--there were a couple of articles with symptom stuff, and I couldn't find one of them. This is the other one: http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/factsheets/Factconstipation.htm

I am usually IBS C, but currently more D. The description of feeling C & D at the same time rang true for me, and it says to suspect salicylates.

The article is a little gross, but I guess that's all part of the wonderful world of digestive problems!

#17123 - 08/12/03 07:45 PM
BarbaraS

Hi Judith,
Check this website out and let me know what you think?
Barb

http://www.barhamchiropractic.com.au/allergy_salic.html#whatare

#17159 - 08/13/03 08:51 AM
Judithg

Barbara--very good explanation of salicylate intolerance. I'm not sure if this is going on with me or not, but maybe I can try sticking to the lower salicylate foods, many of which appear to be IBS safe. Just experiment to see. I notice that when my latest bout of IBS started I was eating tons of foods listed in the high to very high categories. Thanks for the info!

Judith

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3535 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 843

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review