All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Multiple Questions!
      #168132 - 04/07/05 06:26 PM
Caliya

Reged: 03/24/05
Loc: USA

Hi my name is Caliya and I'm new to this board! I have been surfing this site for awhile and have come across many questions that I hope some of you may be able to answer for me!
*Is yogurt safe for IBS sufferers because I heard that it actually can help people who are lactose intolerant
*Can fibercon be taken on a long term basis?
*Can acacia be purchased in regular stores?
*What are the symptoms of Celiac Disease because I'm worried I may have it?
*I'm usually an IBS C but sometimes...like maybe once a week I'll get D...any advice?
Please give me any sort of feedback possible as I am really desperate! I don't want to suffer any more embarrassing moments!
Thank you so much!

--------------------
Caliya ;p

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Well, I can answer a few... new
      #168142 - 04/07/05 07:10 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Yogurt is NOT SAFE for people with IBS. Dairy products as a whole are unsafe, and not just because of the lactose.

Fibercon is a soluble fiber supplement and can be taken long term, yes.

As far as I know, acacia is not yet available in stores... but I know Heather's working on that, so hopefully it will be soon.

If you have both C and D, you are most likely an IBS-A, or alternating. That's what I am. Fun, isn't it? I don't have any real good advice, except to avoid laxatives like the plague and go *lightly* on any anti-D meds (like imodium) that you might try to use. I find that if I take more than one imodium (half a dose) it swings me over to C. Other than that, just follow the diet STRICTLY and work on getting an SFS up to a good dose. It's definitely manageable, but it can be a little tricky at first to find a good balance... so be patient!

Celiac disease symptoms, as far as I know, can mimic IBS. If you're concerned that you might have it, request testing from your doctor. You can read more about celiac disease at http://www.celiac.com

Hope that helps a bit!

Hi! And Welcome! new
      #168144 - 04/07/05 07:19 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I think Casey's pretty much covered everything. Coeliac does mimic IBS and many patients are first diagnosed with IBS when actually they have coeliac disease. The test for it is usually a blood test, then possibly a gastroscopy (tube down the throat, but don't panic, I've had 2 and they sedate you, it's really nothing)to check that the little hairs in your throat are standing upright (they lie flat in a person with Coeliac). Hope this has helped and hope you start feeling better soon.
I'm an A too and mimic Casey in that any more than a half dose of Immodium and I'm clogged for days and stay completely away from laxatives! They're scary!
Love your name btw. My eldest daughters called Kahlea, I suspect it's pronounced the same as yours!

--------------------
Amy

Re: Hi! And Welcome! new
      #168191 - 04/08/05 12:05 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

What's healthy about some yogurts is the probtiotics...which you can get in soy yogurts or in capsules, so you can get the benefits without the dairy!

You should have been tested for celiac before you had your diagnosis. However, even if you don't have celiac (which is an IBD) you can still can a gluten or wheat intolerance on top of IBS. There are some tests for it, but the best way to test (if the most tedious) is an exlcusion diet...cut it out COMPLETELY for at least a month, monitor your symptoms, then re-introduce it and monitor your symptoms. If you are intolerant, you'll improve when you cut it out and then have a recurrence of symptoms when you reintroduce it (it's important to reintroduce it so you know any improvement wasn't coincidental).

I'm A too! A SFS has been the most help to me...that and following this diet. If I'm having a D streak I can take 1 Immodium tablet and only get very slightly C, but you have to work out your own tolerances - some people only need a tiny amount. And stay away from laxatives!!!

Re: Multiple Questions! new
      #168231 - 04/08/05 05:20 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Hi, welcome to the boards.
Great place for support and info.
I was diagnosed IBS-C also but maybe once a week I get "stool frequency"- I guess it's my bodies way of cleaning my insides out somewhat.
Alot of people here are that way.
Hope you get the answers to all your questions here on the baords.
Melissa

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Re: Oops I think I may have been confusing back there... new
      #168249 - 04/08/05 06:42 AM
Caliya

Thanks so much you guys for responding! I think I may have been a bit confusing in my first post though because I really am an IBS C but what I meant with the whole D once a week thing is that I have to take a laxative or else I wont go at all and when I finally do it's almost always D... . Thanks so much for your support though! My doctor prescribed me on miralax but it hasn't come in the mail yet...wish me luck with that! Oh and Amy, I can't believe your daughter has the same name as me! I have only come across one other person with the same name! YAY! My doctor didn't check me for celiac before she diagnosed me so I probably have to figure it out myself as I really don't want to have to go in there one more time.
Thanks Again!

--------------------
Caliya ;p

Sounds like laxatives... new
      #168523 - 04/09/05 11:42 AM
Linz

...are a REALLY bad idea for you. They're bad for any IBS-er as they are dependency making, but for someone like you or me they'll just be making you worse in the long-term. A SFS and Miralax is a way better solution.

Re: Sounds like laxatives... new
      #168532 - 04/09/05 12:11 PM
Caliya

Thanks so much! My miralax and previcid just came in the mail so I'm very excited! I hope they work! I also am going to start taking fibercon so I hope that works too! By the way I love your picture linz!

--------------------
Caliya ;p

Hello Caliya, Welcome! I'm new too! new
      #168536 - 04/09/05 12:37 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

This board is fantastic for anwering the mysteries of IBS. Man, I researched on the computer for DAYS and DAYS before I came here, and it was clear as mud. Now it makes great sense. The people are AWESOME!
I'm mostly C with some D too, so you can call me an A.
I have found that if anything, laxatives aggravate the crap out of me. Literally. They also probably physically hurt us way more than they would anyone normally.

I'm taking Metamucil and holy COW is it helping!! My pain is lessened and I'm going Every day!!! Amazing!

I'm having a difficult time giving up yogurt too. It's so darn good and I don't feel any after effects. (I've tried soy yogurt which is good, but not the real thing, lol, and a LOT more expensive.) I thought I just had lactose intolerance till recently when dairy free, I get cramps/bloating/C/D with other food.

I haven't begun the diet yet, but am just getting used to what SUCKS for my gut. i had my last real ice cream last night, and blew a big kiss goodbye. I also had pizza, and it was an almost instantaneous reaction. Darn, I'm being forced to eat right.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Edited by SoreTummyMommy (04/09/05 12:41 PM)

Yeah, most of us get that! new
      #168572 - 04/09/05 04:20 PM
Linz

With IBS, your bod is pretty good at teaching you to eat right! I don't think I'm alone in saying the best thing that got me sticking to the diet was how, whenever I strayed, I got so ill! It just wasn't worth it!

I'm trying to cut out sugar for my Fibro atm and I'm finding the same thing...every time I cheat...and then feel bad...it decreases my cravings! Hopefully soon I'll want sugar as much as I want cheese (hardly ever! ).

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1512 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1415

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review