All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
My dirty little secret...
      #168100 - 04/07/05 03:53 PM
Suze

Reged: 02/24/05
Loc: Virginia

I still drink - alcohol! I follow the diet (even forgo chocolate), take my SFS (12g/day), drink fennel tea, get lots of exercise...I feel like I don't have any other vices left! I really like a glass of wine, usually white, with dinner, even if dinner is just a big bowl of white rice with a side of fat-free saltine crackers!!

I'm an A, now mostly C, but that could change - It always seems to! My IBS is much better than it was before I found this site, but some days are definitely better than others. However, the good/bad days don't seem to be related to whether I've had a glass of wine or not. I know in "Eating for IBS" Heather mentions that some people can tolerate a glass of wine now and then on a full stomach... I'd appreciate hearing from both drinkers and non-drinkers about how and why they made a decision about alcohol. Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself to stop - or not.

Thanks, everyone! I so appreciate being able to benefit from the experiences and wisdom of folks on this board!

-Sue

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My dirty little secret... new
      #168109 - 04/07/05 04:41 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I drink alcohol sometimes too. Now I only drink it when I really want to and I am prepared to have cramps the next day. I don't drink beer or red wine anymore as they really hurt but I can drink some white wine, vodka, champagne or cocktails pretty OK. I don't drink nearly as often as I used to and only have a big drinking night very very rarely. I have one coming up this weekend though- a bachelorette party- really looking forward to it!

Alcohol is a really bad idea on an empty stomach and it definitely affects my tummy almost immediately with gas and slight D and it REALLY hurts the next day (regardless of whether I have one drink or ten)

I REALLY DO NOT RECOMMEND ANY ALCOHOL UNLESS YOU ARE VERY STABLE

--------------------
S.

#168128 - 04/07/05 06:04 PM
leoandoreosmom

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Rockwall, Texas

Hi Sue,

I am a little bit different. I have both IBS and IBD. I know that I am not supposed to drink, but I will admit to it as well. I am also not supposed to drink coffee but that is another issue (Sorry Heather! ). I drink wine, both red and white. Usually one before dinner and more with dinner. Red wine affects my GERD more that white. I do not notice any other problems.

One thing that you will notice is that many of us have different triggers. I recently discovered that I cannot tolerate Sun Chips. I have not had any for eons but that was because I have been trying to "eat healthy". I also am getting a crohns flare under control...and things that I was unable to tolerate six months ago I find that I can tolerate them now.

I keep my IBS/IBD more stable if I take my SFS which I do EVERY day. It is crucial for me to keep every thing working correctly. I am also careful to eat my solubles first and the insolubles after I already have something in my tummy. I do not always do this perfectly, but I am still learning!

Take care,
Karen

Your secret is MINE, too! new
      #168129 - 04/07/05 06:06 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

As a C, I find that when I drink, I definitely am able to go the next morning. In fact, if I'm just super backed up, I'll sometimes drink to get things moving.

I've found that one or two glasses only makes me bloated for the rest of that night: I seem to be perfectly normal the next day, with the added benefit of being able to go. But more than a glass or two of wine causes me to get bloated and stay bloated for several days.

I drank almost 2 BOTTLES of white zinfandel on friday night and am just now getting stable again (although since I was on my period, that could have made it harder for me to get stable, too). My fiance and I are throwing an engagement party tomorrow night, so I will most likely have a glass or two of wine, but hopefully no more than that.

Enjoy your wine, dear!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

I think a lot of us... new
      #168143 - 04/07/05 07:16 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

... have dirty little secrets. I cannot drink alcohol *at all*, thanks to the antidepressants I'm on more so than my IBS. But I learned very early on that high fructose corn syrup doesn't bother me in the slightest, so I drink caffeine-free soda now and then.

I will stress, though, like Sinead did, that IF YOU ARE NOT YET STABLE, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT DOING THIS. It really is absolutely necessary to cut out ALL triggers at first, learn how to eat properly, get your symptoms under control, and THEN see about experimenting more.

Alcohol ((shudder)).... new
      #168145 - 04/07/05 07:21 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I don't touch the stuff, not even during cooking when the alcohol is burnt out. Every couple of years I'll think, hmm, I might have a little drink. 2 sips and my belly starts burning and within half an hour I'm off to the loo. 2 sips!!! So I steer clear of it completely but if you tolerate it okay, I'm all for having the odd glass on a full belly. Hope this helps.

--------------------
Amy

#168168 - 04/07/05 08:22 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Don't feel bad! I just threw back a stoli razz, 7up and a splash of cran and a budlight after class with friends tonight. We all need to live a little somehow!

pop and immodium before hand and your good to go!

--------------------

Wow, totally am with you, e...... new
      #168185 - 04/07/05 11:08 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

i always find that I can go after drinking. It is nice, but the gut ache is horrid. I only have alcohol occasionally, but as you know, I'm nowhere near stable. i have not even OFFICIALLY been diagnosed, but it's IBS. Alcohol is not a goodie for me anymore. Dang it.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#168188 - 04/07/05 11:44 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I agree with Sinead...this could really mess up getting stable. I am pretty stable and I have the occasional drink...NEVER more than two glasses of wine (and that's a binge drink for me ) but as long as it's not often and I don't drink if I'm feeling iffy then I'm fine.

#168278 - 04/08/05 08:44 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I still drink now and then. But it is mostly wine. I was at a wedding this weekend and had a little too much. With being on my period and being C plus the time change I have had a rough time getting regular again. I think everyone cheats occasionally. I don't think you could make it through life sometimes with out doing it. But I do agree with everyone else DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE STABLE!

#168283 - 04/08/05 09:01 AM
trapley

Reged: 03/16/05
Loc: Miami, FLorida

I occasionally drink, but I dont drink more than two glasses of white wine, or one cocktail. I only drink when I'm at a club or that type of atmosphere.If I dont over do it, I am okay the next morning. I am still in the process of stabling myself out,sooo. maybe I should cut it out for a while. AWWW man!

--------------------
Keep Smiling

#168286 - 04/08/05 09:07 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

This is the one way I cheat one the diet, too! I htink that my body is used to the alcohol now, so sometimes I can be alittle sick the next day (I am IBS-A, mostly D). That is usually only if I party really hard though. Usuaully i can have glass after glass of white wine (pinot grigios) and am completely fine. Red wine makes me feel alittle weird, beer makes me VERY ill, sometimes I can do ok with a smirnoff ice but it usually will make me uncomforatbly bloated the rest of the day.
Vodka and cranberry juice always goes down ok with me too!
I also agree with the others and say that this is not a good idea if you are not stable.

--------------------
-Sheri

#168299 - 04/08/05 09:53 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I can't touch alcohol. My last drink was 20 years ago and (as usual) I got very ill afterwards. I'm very restricted when it comes to food and drink maybe because I've had IBS for so long.

The one thing I can tolerate, contrary to the IBS diet, is lemon. I squeeze fresh lemon on my dinner every evening. I love it and it doesn't bother me and the Vitamin C probably helps protect me against colds. Oddly, I can't tolerate orange or any other citrus fruit other than lemon.

Personally I won't touch anything that I know is going to make me sick. In my opinion nothing, and I mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, is worth a few seconds of culinary enjoyment if you know it is going to result in an IBS attack. I will not waste one more second of my life than I have to being sick from IBS. No way! But if you know you can tolerate something that is not recommended ... then by all means go ahead and enjoy it ... as long as it doesn't make you sick.

#168301 - 04/08/05 09:56 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I seem to be able to handle a couple of glaases of wine now and then without problems!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2381 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1737

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review