All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gas- how to help-using diet
      #167972 - 04/07/05 11:24 AM
red1

Reged: 04/07/05

Hi I am using the diet very carefully and still suffer from so much gas- I never eat dairy, wheat, take probiotics- use the fennel tea- do meditation. Any help or suggestions- has aqnyone out there been helped in the gas area with this diet. Please I really would appreciate feedback. thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gas- how to help-using diet new
      #168131 - 04/07/05 06:24 PM
Suze

Reged: 02/24/05
Loc: Virginia

Hmmm, are you taking a soluble fiber supplement? If so, which one? Some, like Metamucil, seem to make gas and bloating worse. Acacia or Benefiber might be worth a try. Acacia has helped me enormously. I still have C and D (I'm an A), but almost no gas. Transfer to or start a new SFS gradually. Gas-X and Beano also sometimes help. For me, the insoluble/soluble fiber ratio is crucial...I have to eat A LOT of soluble fiber first to tolerate any insoluble fiber. Are you keeping a food diary? That may help pinpoint the problem. Just because something is listed as safe on the IBS diet doesn't mean you won't have problems with it...everyone is different.

Good luck, and don't give up!!

-Sue

Re: Gas- how to help-using diet new
      #168140 - 04/07/05 07:02 PM
Sharon Mello

Reged: 08/23/04
Loc: 25 miles from Yosemite National Park in Ca.

Red1 - (Guess you saw The Pacifier, Red 1!) Anyway, back to gas--my favorite subject. I, like you, followed Heather's diet and still suffered from bloating and gas. I've tried pre and probiotics and many other herbs for intestinal and stomach problems. Nothing helped.

I found the website www.foodintol.com and it had a lot of helpful information, if you pay for it, which I think is a tub of crap if they truly want to help people--like our lovely Heather! Anyway, I took the bait because I was getting desperate and feeling miserable. I downloaded all the Tuesday Club stuff and began to read and take a few little tests.

I realized I had a food intolerance, to wheat (I think). I obliterated wheat, rye, oats, spelt, kamut, triticale and anything connected to wheat (like modified food starch) and within 2 days the gas was gone and so was the bloating. But in your case, I notice you've already stopped eating wheat products so you might think about another food intolerance, and there are many. For instance:
yeast, fructose, dairy, wheat, gluten, Sorbitol to name some. Also, some people are allergic to foods. The two are quite different.

They have a Detection Diet which is much easier than an Elimination Diet. In essence, you write down everything you put in your mouth that lands in your stomach and record your reaction to the food, whether it's mood change or gas, etc.

I hope this helps.

Sharon

Sharon new
      #168141 - 04/07/05 07:07 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Do you think it was worth the money to download this sight? How much was it?

I too have already eliminated all gluten from my diet but still have major gas. I would like more info on other possible intolerances. I suppose I could try and do it on my own, but I don't seem to be able to identify anything in particular.

Do you think the program is something worth investing in? Or do you think it is all pretty much something you can do on your own just as well? Does it give you specifics on what to eat?

Did you have any other food intolerances?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Yeah I have! new
      #168192 - 04/08/05 12:09 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

A SFS, this diet and fennel tea when needed have sorted most of my gas problems out! I still have issues when I eat triggers, but that's just my own stupid fault.

I'm also like Suze in that IF is a big problem for me if I don't get the SF/IF ratio right...so re-introducing IF was a big challenge for me.

Sharon's right...you need to work out if you have food intolerances on top of the IBS or you won't get far. Try a food diary. You say you've cut out wheat - are you actually gluten intolerant?

Linz - Neat new picture! new
      #168223 - 04/08/05 04:38 AM
Suze

Reged: 02/24/05
Loc: Virginia

Wedding picture?

the biggest helps for me... new
      #168229 - 04/08/05 05:07 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

were diet, fennell tea, and acacia... and the peppermint caps and I use simethecone if I know I'm going to eat something that will set me off....

I stopped eating onions, broccoli, and some other things that were big gas producers (not beans amazingly enough) and found a huge help.. I can flavor things with onion, just not eat it myself...

acacia and benefiber also were a huge help for me...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Sharon new
      #168259 - 04/08/05 07:58 AM
Sharon Mello

Reged: 08/23/04
Loc: 25 miles from Yosemite National Park in Ca.

Augie - I guess if you've eliminated all gluten from your diet, you've in the process eliminated all wheat, right? I think the $100 was worth getting all this info so I could sit down and read through, take their little tests (although I think you can take some small ones w/out joining first).

I don't think you can do it on your own unless you're pretty well versed in the human body, how it works, what affects it, the differences between food intolerance and food allergy, what to look for on labels, etc., etc. I really didn't want to spend the money, but I thought it was worth it. Sometimes their "on-line helpers" aren't the most sympathetic ones, which they should be, but they're still helpful with answers to my questions. It's an Aussie website so a lot of their quantities in their recipes are metric, so I just did a search on conversions and you'd be surprised what's out there in WWW-land!

Let me know how you make out w/foodintol.com. I don't log onto helpforibs that often so if you want to privately email me, just send to slmello@aol.com. My profile may say something different. I'll check it out.

Sharon

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2680 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1251

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review