All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is it possible to get IBS after getting a bug in your tummy? Does this sound familiar to anyone?
      #167055 - 04/04/05 08:05 PM
JillM

Reged: 04/02/05

Hi everyone,

I was just curious to find out if anyone is in the same boat as me. I went to the Philippines in January and had D and some sickness due to a bug I probably caught there. 1 month later, I developed IBS symptoms. Major D. Whatever I eat would be out of me by an hour. I get an urgency to go to the washroom and just have to let go... if you know what I mean?! I'm sure you do...

Anyway, since getting the IBS book and following the diet, I found that my D has decreased to just the mornings. So I'll have a soft stool, then about 15 minutes, I'll have an urgency to go again but this time it's softer and more D. Sorry for the explanation. Then I'm ok until the next morning. Does anyone have these symptoms?

I did end up changing doctors. Thanks for those that replied and he said I may have Ulcerative Colitis or Crohn's Disease based on my high white blood cell count in my stool sample. I'm going to get a colonoscopy sp? done soon to make sure. I'm really scared. Has anyone had this done before???

Thanks so so much for listening. I can only vent to this group as I don't know anyone with IBS.

Take care.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is it possible to get IBS after getting a bug in your tummy? Does this sound familiar to anyone? new
      #167066 - 04/04/05 08:54 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi there! It is possible to get IBS post infection and some of the people on the boards got it that way. I didn't but I know there are some of us who did.
Your symptoms do sound like IBS but it's important you get the colonoscopy done. I had one a couple of months back. They give you some laxative pills which I found the worst bit and make you drink litres of prep which tastes like awfully sweet lemon cordial. I was most worried about getting tummy cramps with it but I didn't at all. Got sick of dashing to the loo in the end but it didn't hurt. The actual procedure you're given a memory blocker and sedative so you won't remember a thing. I was terrified of mine, if you do a search you'll find most of us were only to discover it wasn't as bad as we feared.

--------------------
Amy

Yeah I did too! new
      #167092 - 04/04/05 11:21 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It was an Australian bug and a bunch of stress on top that did it for me!

The colonoscopy prep is the worst part, but if you look at the top of the Crohns board, there's a fantastic post from JillSklar that gives great advice for getting through it. The actual procedure is no problem at all!

Re: Is it possible to get IBS after getting a bug in your tummy? Does this sound familiar to anyone? new
      #167278 - 04/05/05 12:51 PM
kidsx4

Reged: 04/02/05
Loc: Fairfax, VA

Yes, it's possible. That's how my son ended up so sick. They kept telling me it was an intestinal virus that would go away on its own. Well, it never went away and now we're dealing with IBS-D. After being so sick and all the nonsense going from doctor to doctor, at least now "it" has a name and we're working on treating it.

Post Infection IBS new
      #167400 - 04/05/05 07:52 PM
bdcanfield

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: Carlisle, Pa USA

I have been finally diagnoised with Post Infection IBS and also possible functional dyspesia. My doc told me that in about 35% of the PI-IBS patients they recover in about a year. I was just diagnosed on St. Patty's day but I have been sick since the first of the new year , starting with flu like symptoms. What is helping me is using good bacteria supplements (the live cultures found in yogurt)!

--------------------
Smile and the world smiles back

Don't eat dairy yogurt tho! new
      #167452 - 04/06/05 03:07 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

There's absolutely no need as welll...some soy yogurts have probiotics in them or you can buy them in capsules.

Probiotics new
      #167561 - 04/06/05 10:20 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

As Linz says, they are helpful little critters after a bug's stripped all your good bacteria away....

#167580 - 04/06/05 10:39 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I had some IBS symptoms before, but they got much, much worse after the Chinese Food Incident. It was from a restaraunt here in the US, but I will never order beef & brocolli again...anywhere. Anyway, I sympathize.

#167636 - 04/06/05 12:38 PM
trapley

Reged: 03/16/05
Loc: Miami, FLorida

I got IBS as a result of the stomach infection H.Pylori.

--------------------
Keep Smiling

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 929 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1344

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review