All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What's the trigger in my drink?
      #16660 - 08/07/03 09:07 PM

Unregistered

Hi

Sometimes I make a drink and have a soluable fibre first but even then sometimes I have a trigger after drinking my special smoothie. I have IBS-d.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the tigger is in my smoothie?

1 banana
1/2 sm. container vanila or strawberry soy yogurt
vitasoy milk or rice milk (low fat)
1 tsp SiSU liquid calcium, mag, vit D -natural vanila flav
1/2 peach
4-10 frozen strawberries
1 tsp honey

And even without the liquid calcium I can still get a attack later. I tried this morning having it with some dessert tofu and 1/2 a skinless peach and that didn't help either.

I would like to figure out which is causing the trigger so I could cut it out of my diet all together! I also seem to not be able to handle peppermint sometimes especially the entricoated tablets is there something the same as in one of these?
Also is it true honey is a mild laxative and can cause an attack?

Edited by Robyn (08/07/03 09:10 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What's the trigger in my drink? new
      #16664 - 08/07/03 10:12 PM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

Hi,
I'm IBS-D too for me your smoothie would cause problems
because of 3 things, peach, strawberries and mag.in the Calcium. I would choose just 2 strawberries or 1/2 peeled peach and add more bananas and have smoothie with soulable fiber food, piece of toast, rice etc...
I haven't had problem with honey.
Hope this helps.
Paintlady

#16669 - 08/08/03 03:50 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Robyn!

I have smoothies like this often (I just made a banana, peach, & strawberry 2 days ago! ), but I've never had a problem with them. I do have them with either a bagel or english muffin, right after I have my fiber supplement (I always have my smoothies with breakfast), so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Yes, it is true that honey is a mild laxative, but I'm not sure how much you have to have for it to work as a laxative. I have noticed I'm kind of sensitive to honey. I used to make "mock-sticky buns" a long time ago, and if I had them 2 days in a row, problems. Basically it was toast with honey, raisins, & cinnamon. Also, once I made a chicken recipe from the Recipe Exchange that used honey and I had some probs with that. But, I do use a little in my smoothies and I have no problems with it.

Maybe try one day without the peach, & see if you have a problem, then one day without the strawberries?

#16717 - 08/08/03 12:06 PM
airplane girl

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Indiana

This may sound silly, but I too have D and seeds give me so many problems, so if the strawberries, even though frozen, have seeds on them maybe try cutting the top layer off the berry before using them.

#16761 - 08/08/03 07:36 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I do this with strawberries sometimes also. If I'm having some diced on my cereal. I use a vegetable peeler & just peel the seeds away. Works great for peeling the stringy part of celery away also.

#16811 - 08/09/03 12:51 PM
mleonard

Reged: 06/25/03
Loc: Payson AZ

It might be the bananas. Some people can't tolerate bananas or oatmeal. My husband has IBS - D. He can eat all the safe foods with the exception of banans and oatmeal. IBS can be very quirky so be carefull. Nothing is good for you if it makes you sick. Hope this helps. Michaela

#16813 - 08/09/03 01:23 PM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Hi Robyn,
It might be too much acid from the peaches and strawberries. Maybe you should cut one of them out and see how that works.
Good luck
Cloudygirl

#16814 - 08/09/03 01:29 PM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Hi Robyn,
I'm not sure what happened to my first post, it disapeared.
Any way, try taking out either the peach or strawberry from your drink. It may be too much acid is the problem. You might want to take your soluable fiber supp. at a different time than when you drink your smoothie. Too much fiber all at once? Not sure if that could cause a problem.
Good luck
Cloudygirl

#17071 - 08/12/03 01:12 PM
Galwae

Reged: 04/10/03
Loc: Seattle, WA

Try elimating all soy from your diet and see what happens. Soy can also cause,exacerbate diarhhea.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2305 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3214

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review