All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Three questions would appreciate some help!
      #166529 - 04/03/05 07:17 AM
crystal2

Reged: 02/26/05

1) If I get on Heather's break the cycle diet, how long do I stay on it before I start to introduce insoluable fibers, chicken, fish, etc.?

2) I suffer from IBS-C with flatulence at night and during the morning (which I hate). When is water safe to drink to minimize gas, during meals or inbetween?

3) I understand that pasta is a soluable fiber but if I eat pasta, I get really gassy. One of the only things (other than dairy products) that gives me smelly gas? Why?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Anybody? n/t new
      #166536 - 04/03/05 08:09 AM
crystal2

n/t

Taking a Stab at your three questions new
      #166538 - 04/03/05 08:17 AM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

1. The breaking the cycel diet is a personal thing. When you feel your stomach is strong enough try to introduce other foods in Small amounts gradually (for me it's about 24 hours)

2. I have the same problem with water. Don't drink it with yuor meals or on an empty stomach. If you feel you need a tiny sip in the morning for your dry mouth that's ok but I always eat a bowl of cheerios before I drink anything. Again... this is also personal. Alos the water temperature can make a difference. If it's too cold or room temp it can make you gassy. I drink room temp with obne or two ice cubes to cool it.

3. If you are using oil in your pasta that could adding to your gassiness. But pasta makes me gassy too so I try not to eat more than a cup at a time.

Hope this helps.
Chany

a few answers... new
      #166543 - 04/03/05 08:32 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

breaing the cycle- when it starts to feel better (most people seem to say a week to 10 days, some less, some more...) then start introoducing things one at a time, maybe 1 new item a day or so... depends on symptom response- some of us get responses up to 48 hours later...

keep a food diary to help track symptoms and triggers too!

water: you need a ton, btu a) avoid ice cold water.. for many of us this is a huge trigger... b) no straws c) many people seemt o find if they avoid drinking with the meals it helps (I don't have that problem, but thats me)... so experiment some...

Pasta:

are you eating plain pasta? pasta with sauce? maybe the sauce is disagreeing with you... what type of pasta- plain or whole wheat or low carb?? how is it prepared- just noodles in boiling water should be ok... but again temp can have an issue.. and as someone else mentioned- oil int he water can be a trigger for some.. DH is getting used to stickier pasta finally because I don't get set off by it. if its at a restaurant its cooked in oil and rarely safe!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Taking a Stab at your three questions new
      #166547 - 04/03/05 08:38 AM
crystal2

Casper,

Thanks for your response.

I didn't realize the induction phase could be as short as 24 hrs.

So do you get all your water after meals?

The pasta thing may just be me because I can't eat it because I don't use any oils or sauces.

Thanks again for your response and time.

if pasta is a trigger.. new
      #166551 - 04/03/05 08:41 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

are you sure you don't have some sort of gluten sensitivity or celiac???

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

I am not sure new
      #166558 - 04/03/05 08:57 AM
crystal2

My main symptoms are occasional constipation and gas. My doc did a few tests and diagnosed me with IBS. Maybe that is something I need to look into.

Drinking liquids new
      #166565 - 04/03/05 09:43 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I never drink with meals. However, I do usually drink about 8 oz of water, followed by 8 oz of slippery elm tea in the morning. Then I wait 20 minutes and then eat my breakfast. I then wait 30-60 minutes before drinking anything again.

My question is for others. Do you guys think it is bad to drink before eating, like I am?? Do most of you not drink until after you have eaten something?

I am confused?? Once again!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Looked at symptoms new
      #166567 - 04/03/05 09:45 AM
crystal2

Again not sure if I fall into this category. I did notice that missed periods are possible because of sudden weight loss. Maybe that explains why I am a week late.

This is all soooooo hard to figure out new
      #166570 - 04/03/05 09:48 AM
crystal2

Esp. since there are a lot of general things that work and things that are very specific to the individual. I am divorced and single and if I don't get my health under control, I may be lonely and alone for the rest of my life! Not being able to control my situation is starting to make me very anxious and depressed.

There are tests for all that... new
      #166572 - 04/03/05 09:53 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...you shouldhave had both antibody blood tests and probably also a colonoscopy to look for celiac and microscopic colitis...and you can have a test done and/or do an exclusion diet to test for a whea or gluten intolerance.

I don't fuss about it myself. new
      #166573 - 04/03/05 09:55 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'm okay with a drink with a meal so just make my tea as I make my breakfast. I have a glass of water before anyfood to take with my meds tho. As long as I sip I'm fine.

Re: Three questions would appreciate some help! new
      #166574 - 04/03/05 09:57 AM
thetreester

Reged: 07/26/04

To sort of echo what everyone else has said, this is a trial and error process, which I despise. A lot of times in life, I wish someone would tell me exactly what to do, but just as your personality is different then everyone else's, so is your body. I would just say take it slow, and you will gradually be able to expand your diet. I've been on this diet for a year, and am still experimenting, and I plan on adding and experimenting for the rest of my life.

Water... you best friend ... and greatest enemy.... new
      #166616 - 04/03/05 02:39 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I usually don't drink more than a sip or two with my meals. I do drink after and in between meals though. I'm also a fan of herbal tea, which I brew and refridgrate so I can drink it cold too.

I don't think pasta is a trigger but I'm not sure.

As for the 24 hours - again - that is personal. Just follow what your body tells you. The first thing I always like to eat is Heather's rice Porridge Soup. It's yummy and warm and fortifies your stomach.

Feel Good.
Chany

I drink room temperature water and new
      #166676 - 04/03/05 07:22 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

hot tea on an empty stomach every morning. I don't think it causes more problems at all. And it does help start my liquid intake for the day when I get 2 cups in right off the bat.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Straws are bad, but... new
      #178452 - 05/12/05 06:50 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

is it okay to drink from those water bottle sports bottles with the plug you pull up and the liquid comes out of the hole of the cap?

Do you know what I'm talking about?

Or does this also increase air swallowing and thus gas and bloat?

Re: Is there tomato sauce on your pasta? new
      #178482 - 05/12/05 08:28 AM
Canada25

Reged: 05/10/05
Loc: canada

Quite possible it's what's on your pasta( tomatoe, veggies)
When I'm having bad gas problems i'll eat linguini with panfried salmon on top and a little lemon. Using salmon makes up for the fact that its plain because of the strong flavor. cover it when you cook so there's a little juice to pour on the noodles as well! hth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1292 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2150

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review