All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How do you get rid of constipation?
      #166351 - 04/02/05 05:34 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I haven't had a BM since Tuesday or Wednesday and I can't figure out why. I'm not uncomfortable, though. I haven't been any gassier than usual, but still, nothing. I've been drinking plenty of water. The only thing different in my diet this week is I started Benefiber powder. Could that cause it? How do I get rid of the C or should I just wait for it to go away on its own?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How do you get rid of constipation? new
      #166352 - 04/02/05 05:49 AM
Snorkie

I am just amused. The short answer is, you post about it and wait a few minutes. The your body does what it is supposed to. But I'm still interested in answers! Thanks.

#166362 - 04/02/05 06:45 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

That's usually what happens. Talk about it and you get your wish! I'm not IBS/C but I'm sure it's the benefiber.Someone else could probably answer this. And welcome to the site. take care Sue

#166364 - 04/02/05 06:52 AM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

I have celiac and IBS C. I have added 2 TBSP of ground flax meal to food during the day. I take benefiber every day. the flaxmeal is great in oatmeal, soup or on vegies and it is the key for me. The days I skip it-I can tell.

Make sure you drink plenty of water - i drink 8-10 glasses and have at least 8 oz when I have flax with a meal.

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

Flaxmeal is a lot of Insoluble Fiber new
      #166391 - 04/02/05 09:49 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I am also GF with IBS-C. I am trying to add in flax to my diet to get more fiber because I don't seem to be able to tolerate Soluble Fiber Supplements very well.

How do you add this flaxmeal to meals and still be IBS safe? If you add it to veggies, isn't that too much insoluble at one time? Do you eat it with a soluble fiber base, like white rice bread or white rice?

Aslo, how much flax do you take at one time? It sounds like you try and spread the 2 Table spoons out throughout the day.

BTW, you said to put it in oatmeal. Being GF, do you take the stance that Oatmeal is safe for GF diet?

I have been eating Cream of Brown Rice cereal and putting 2 tsp of flaxmeal in it along with some cooked fruit, but I am afraid this is too much insoluble fiber at once. And I am too scared to add it to veggies as the IF would be great especially with something like millet.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

How much benefiber do you take?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Stick with the SFS.... new
      #166405 - 04/02/05 10:43 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...these are especially important for anyone who's ever A! Just make sure you're getting enough IF veggies - safely of course. If I start getting C (I'm A but tend towards D more often than C) I just up my IF intake.

Re: Stick with the SFS.... new
      #166427 - 04/02/05 02:19 PM
Snorkie

Thank you for the advice! I am taking 2 teaspoons of Benefiber twice a day. I am IBS-A, but it's usually more D than C. Good to know about the IF. I may not have been getting enough lately, because I've been staying away from many items that are under "eat often but carefully" list on the IBS cheatsheet.

Re: Flaxmeal is a lot of Insoluble Fiber new
      #166472 - 04/02/05 06:24 PM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

Hi Augie,

First, I take 1 TBSP of benefiber daily in herbal tea in the AM or in a glass of spring water. I worked up to 1 TBSP. I started with 1/2 tsp and increased each week until I could do 1 TBSP.

As far as the flaxmeal- I do spread it out over the day. About 2 tsp in oatmeal or oatbran, 2 tsp in soup, and 2 tsp in rice or vegies later. Some days I only get in 1 TBSP. Flax meal is both soluble and insoluble fiber. I am not sure why it works for me-but it does. I still struggle with bloating at the end of most days-but the pain and constipation are almost nonexisitent when I stay with the flax routine. (I always feel fat-so it drives me nuts) But the bloating is still nothing compared to what it was before the IBS diet and when I am constipated it hurts. I am beginning to think I just have to deal with the bloating as a fact of life-I feel better and I think that is what really counts. I also think that the insoluble fiber keeps the colon distended which explains why my tummy is flat as can be in the AM and puffy in the PM. I also gradually worked up to the flaxmeal. I started with 1 tsp in the AM. Drinkng water is critical though when you are eating flax.

The most recent research on Celiac has shown that oats-oatmeal, oatbran etc. are safe for us. I didn't eat oats for a long time, but when the recent research came out I tried oatmeal in the AM. I have been OK and attribute alot of the ability to stay regular to the oatmeal daily. I have problems with soy and just finally gave up on most of it.

Have you tried millet or quinoa? I am interested in what they are like. I eat a lot of brown rice, sweet potatoes, rice pasta, but am always looking for something new.

Unfortunately it seems like everything for us is trial and error - and what is good today maybe a problem next month. Keep the faith!

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

Up the SFS and get lots of EXERCISE and water!-nt- new
      #166481 - 04/02/05 08:42 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

--------------------

Re: Flaxmeal is a lot of Insoluble Fiber new
      #167050 - 04/04/05 07:54 PM
tmc

Reged: 03/07/05

I am IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, and new to this site and this diet, but am doing well for the first time in a while! In addition to a little over three scoops of Citrucel daily (before each meal--abt 2/3 clear mix, 1/3 orange for flavor) with a little Acacia mixed in, I've also been having 1 tbsp of ground flax after breakfast and after dinner. I just mix it in a little non-fat soy milk and try to chew it well. I figure that if it is at the end of the meal, the IF will be well supported by the SFS drink and SF I've already eaten. Also, it seems that the mix of IF and SF in the flax itself, as well as the fact that it's ground, make it more tolerable than, for eg, bran which used to help me tremendously with C bfr I had IBS, but can't go near anymore. The flax in soy is quite delicious as well--kind of nutty. And of course--lots of water. Good luck!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7227 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1210

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review