All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Eating Out
      #166348 - 04/02/05 05:10 AM
Witty96

Reged: 04/02/05

HI, Well this will be my first vacation since IBS, If you have any suggestions about anywhere to eat out, at any meal I would GREATLY be so thankful. I will also pack my IBS safe foods, but come on it's my vacation, and I would like the family to get to go out too, they have been so supportive and I would like us all to have a treat. Thanks so much. - -

Edited by Witty96 (04/03/05 07:27 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eating Out new
      #166358 - 04/02/05 06:34 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

pack your own breakfasts! soy milk comes in individual servings, cereal can be prepacked in bowls.. or even just luna bars...

but otherwise- safe choices... hrm.. panera makes some soups and breads (soup with bread or simple sandwich... and also their bread bowls are safe dairy free sourdough- very high calorie, but yummy.. and I just eat the lining of the bowl and the lid, so more bread then if i got just the bowl of soup, but less then the amount served!) many restaurants will give you a dry potato and plain baked or grilled chicken breast... we have a local smokehouse that makes their own bbq and its safe, so I can have pullled chicken there or bbq chicken breast... many soups are safe if they are made on site and not from cans... so nicer places are safer... I am sure others will have other comments, and do some searches- this comes up often!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#166425 - 04/02/05 01:42 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I knew I'd participated in some threads about various restaurants, so I figured I could just go through the list of my own posts and send you there for some info. Wow - I had no idea I'd posted so much about eating out. Pretty amazing, considering I haven't been doing much of it.

Anyhow, here's the list (plus some Outback posts I read recently that sounded really helpful). I hope these help. To find more, you can do a search like Khyricat suggests. The posts don't always have the words "eating out" in them. You can try "restaurant" or, if there's a particular restaurant you'd really like to try, search on that restaurant name.

Enjoy your vacation!

Moroccan food
Chili's
Indian food
a little information on different chains
Macaroni Grill
Mexican
Indian food again
Outback and general lunch
Outback again, great info

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#166533 - 04/03/05 07:32 AM
Witty96

Reged: 04/02/05

Thank you sooo much, I can't wait to look, then again, I'm still kind of afraid to try them. It seems so silly, but as we with IBS know, it's not. So I'll try to be brave and enjoy my vacation and hopefully EAT OUT

#166541 - 04/03/05 08:29 AM
phoenixrunner

Reged: 04/03/05

I don't know if this fits in this section or not but I will post this anyway. I just found out this past year that I had IBS and also a gluten sensitivity. I don't eat out except for sushi which never, ever bothers me. Well, I have to turn down many dinner invitations especially considering a lot of people do not eat sushi. My husband's family gets offended and assumes I don't want to "be with the family". How do you deal with turning down friend's dinner invitations?

family and invites... new
      #166545 - 04/03/05 08:35 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

a) explain you have health issues that are food related. Ask them to either come to your place (this is a big solution) or carefully explain your diet or offer to bring food with.

b) sushi is my favorite thing to do out but it isn't the only thing I can eat out... check into other alternatives... even if you just go along to a restaurant and eat beforehand and after and sip water.. or get a plain baked potato, at least you are with them.... but many places will have other alternatives too.. I don't have gluten issues, but beyond IBS I keep kosher and am very allergic to dairy as well as some other foods... I do ok with it anyway! you'd be amazed. it just takes some time and experimentation.. and if it helps- call the restaurant in advance and talk to them about it!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: family and invites... new
      #166546 - 04/03/05 08:37 AM
phoenixrunner

Reged: 04/03/05

Thank you for your response. I will try your advice and see if it works!

It's not silly... new
      #166589 - 04/03/05 10:41 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

it's reality. Be brave, but don't force yourself - a difficult balancing act, I know. Here's a trick I use: I eat about a half-cup of applesauce with a teaspoon of acacia in it before eating in a restaurant. I think it helps my tummy, plus if there's not much on the menu I feel safe eating, it makes it easier to settle for a baked potato (very good with just a touch of olive oil) or bread. And pretzels are perfectly portable, look like "normal food", and are great for filling in the empty places between meals.

HTH. Have fun.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2333 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1825

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review