All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New to this
      #165788 - 03/31/05 12:58 PM
Alicia T

Reged: 03/15/05
Loc: York, Pa

I was diagnosed with IBS a little over 5 years ago, and have been living with the symptoms ever since. I have learned through trial and error which foods would trigger an attack and which were what I thought of as "safe". A month ago I decided that I wanted to get things more under control and started doing some research, that's when I cam across this website and Heather's books. I immediately bought both of them, and started following the diet recommendations. I have been symptom free for 3 weeks. Now that I am getting used to this, and my family is starting to adjust to the new diet too, I have a few questions. Is there anyone who is able to tolerate dairy products in small amounts? Cereal and milk was once what I considered a safe food, and I miss it! I know that I probably shouldn't use 2% milk anymore, but would small amounts of skim milk every once in awhile be ok? Also, when looking at the ingredients in food packages, what should I be looking for to avoid? I am totally confused with this. And this is probably an easy question... for the past three weeks I have only been drinking water or peppermint tea. Although I am impressed with the amount of water I am drinking (I never got enough before) I was looking for something safe for a change of pace. I guess I just didn't want to try something without knowing. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give!

--------------------
Happiness is a choice that requires effort at times.
IBS-A, predominately D!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Try soy! new
      #165799 - 03/31/05 01:06 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Although I'm okay with tiny bits of dairy, that's talking about way down on the list of ingredients for something NOT poured over milk! Skim milk and even Lactaid milk aren't much help for IBS as the fat, the lactose, the whey AND the casein are ALL triggers.

Soy should be introduced slowly so your body can adjust, but then it's really useful. If you don't like soy, try rice, but that's really thin and un-milk-like.

I drink lots of different herbal teas, water, a little fruit juice (after SF) and decaf black tea with soy milk. Plus the occasional small glass of wine! Oh and choc/strawberry soy milks - yum.

Hi. Welcome. I am a total cereal fanatic.... new
      #165806 - 03/31/05 01:12 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

So giving up my morning bowl was not an option. If you are IBS-D then may I reccomend Rice Milk. It's not as good as regular milk but it's something wet to pour over your cereal. I unfortunately am IBS-C so while I like rice milk I can not over indulge. Soy Dream is what I usualy use though I have used Soy Silk and also West Soy (I liked it but it made me very bloated.) Also if you like Ice Cream there are alot of Soy Ice Cream products out there that are amazing! Good luck with everything.
Casper

Re: New to this new
      #165867 - 03/31/05 02:35 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Alicia T,
Welcome to the boards! I am so glad to hear that the diet has really worked for you and that you have been symptom free, that's so great! Congratulations, you should be really proud of yourself for figuring your body out!

Dairy is generally something that most people have to steer completely clear of. I think that it is one of those foods that you might be able to have once with no bad reaction, and then try it again and have a terrible attack. I admit that I cheat once in a while and have some cheese or something made with milk and am sometimes okay, but I am always prepared that it MAY result in a major attack.
If you miss cereal and milk, though, there are always soy and rice milk alternatives. Finding a soy milk you like might require some guessing and testing, but I used to have vanilla soy milk and cereal and thought it was really nice.

When you are looking at packages, there are LOADS of things to look for and I can't think of them all right now (maybe someone else will have more info), but some are.. Any milk ingredients, casein, egg yolk, sorbitol, MSG...
Um, my mind is drawing a blank right now...

As for drinks, there are lots of other herbals teas you can have (just make sure they are caffeine free - most are, I think).. Some of the fruit teas, cold make really nice ice teas for the summer.
Smoothies are another option, and one way to get more fruits and stuff into your diet. There are lots of recipes for smoothies on the IBS Recipe Index (as well as lots of other drinks, actually!).
I drink cranberry juice, it doesn't bother me, but stay away from all other fruit juices. I also sometimes mix the cranberry juice with flattened gingerale.
And of course soy milk (chocolate silk brand soy milk is AWESOME!) or rice milk.
Good luck!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Hi. Welcome. I am a total cereal fanatic.... new
      #166198 - 04/01/05 01:01 PM
Alicia T

Reged: 03/15/05
Loc: York, Pa

Thanks everyone for the advice!! I have tried soy milk, and just can't seem to make myself like it. So I will buy some rice milk tonight and see how that goes. I am trying to make smarter choices in finding things I can eat, and everything you told me really helped! Thanks for the support.

--------------------
Happiness is a choice that requires effort at times.
IBS-A, predominately D!!!

I prefer rice milk for cereal... new
      #166205 - 04/01/05 01:09 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

and now that I've done it for awhile I can't imagine switching back!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Rice Milk is okay for C folks, isn't it? new
      #166298 - 04/01/05 07:10 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I never thought something like Rice milk could cause worse constipation. Have other C folks noticed that rice milk causes them worse constipation?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Rice Milk is okay for C folks, isn't it? *DELETED* new
      #166307 - 04/01/05 07:39 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

Re: Rice Milk is okay for C folks, isn't it? new
      #166367 - 04/02/05 07:10 AM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

I use almond milk. It is pretty good and occasionally I buy the choc almond milk for a treat. It makes great hot cocoa. I also buy sorbet. It is dairy and gluten free and comes in a lot of varieties.

Soy also bloats me up so I steer away from it when I can.

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

No soy for me! new
      #166369 - 04/02/05 07:28 AM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

I am a "C" and soy milk even in moderation will make me bloat and cramp.

--------------------
"puffy"

Does Rice Milk make your C worse... new
      #166387 - 04/02/05 09:33 AM
Augie

Like Casper said it did for her?

--------------------
~ Beth

What brand Almond milk new
      #166389 - 04/02/05 09:39 AM
Augie

do you use? I know you are GF. Do you avoid rice milk becaue it cause you to be more C, or just because you prefer the taste of almond milk?

I cannot find a brand of almond milk that does not contain carrageenan, which I read that studies show it causes crampiing. Many doctors advice IBS folks to stay away from products with this ingredient. So, I play it safe and avoid it, which is hard. Most dairy substitute products (cheese, milks, etc) contain this ingredient to help thicken up the product. UGH. Frustrating.

What type of sorbet do you buy that is GF? I heard Haggen Daaz is okay.

--------------------
~ Beth

Yeah some people just can't tolerate it... new
      #166406 - 04/02/05 10:45 AM
Linz

...which is another reason to introduce it slowly. Digestive enzymes *should* help with that, but hey.

But, newbies, do NOT be put off soy b/c of this...if you can eat it (and most people can) then it opens up so many more diet options.

Oh. I always thought that ALL rice products are constipating - nt new
      #166539 - 04/03/05 08:25 AM
Casper

Huh? new
      #166586 - 04/03/05 10:18 AM
Linz

White rice is a good source of SF. Brown rice has a good mix of SF and IF for those who can tolerate it.

SF is not constipating in any amount...it's lack of IF that can be constipating (or IF eaten unsafely!).

But when I eat rice products I get very C - nt new
      #166615 - 04/03/05 02:31 PM
Casper

I've heard this from other C folks too new
      #166678 - 04/03/05 07:33 PM
Augie

And I think I may have more C with white rice. I have read others reposrt this as well. So I think for some, White rice can cause more C. I don't think rice milk would do it, since it is made from brown rice.

--------------------
~ Beth

Thanks. That's good to know. I like rice milk better than soy - nt new
      #167028 - 04/04/05 05:38 PM
Casper

Re: What brand Almond milk new
      #167029 - 04/04/05 06:03 PM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

Beth,

I use almod breeze, but not a whole lot of it at any given time. I has 60 cal per cup and tastes pretty good. The sorbet I buy is Safeway brand, sold by our local grocery store. It is dairy and gluten free. I know Godiva has one-but I haven't checked it out yet. Again, I eat very little at a given time.

I am starting to wonder after reading your posts if the oatmeal is causing some of my ssues. I just did some more research and some people still can't tolerate it. I have been having a bloating issue chronically for about 2 mos now-around the same time I added the oatmeal back in. I am going to try cream of rice tomorrow. Where did you find the cream of brown rice? I wish they had an instant. I am on the 3rd floor at work and the microwave is on the 1st. We can't have one on our floor so it's a pain-We do have a boiling water thing though. I will let you know-you got me thinking and it's worth a try. I haven't tried Heather's diet without the oatmeal which may be what keep me from stabilizing.

And I have yet to find a cheese substitute that is completely dair and gluten free. I just gave up. If I find one, not sure how good it would be anyway.

Any other ideas??

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

Rice milk is fine for me new
      #167040 - 04/04/05 07:34 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Hi Beth,

I've been drinking rice milk for almost a year now and haven't had any problems with it. Mine is made from brown rice. In fact I really like rice milk, beats the socks off soy - blergh.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 623 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2358

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review