All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
ive been noticing...
      #165752 - 03/31/05 12:16 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

i just made this connection between today and yesterday. i have my list of safe foods..which always work fine for me. if i eat one at a time..and space out my eating periods, i dont bloat. does this happen to anyone else?? its almost if i eat 2 [or more] things off my safe food list, i can count on bloating. and if i eat something a little more risky like white-rice w/a seasoning, its guarenteed bloating will be there. so now im aware. how do i deal with this? its fine if i wake up in the morning b/c i can eat my breakfast and do my very early morning things [yoga..] but if i eat a snack too early or munch on something inbetween making a meal, i get bloated! it puts my system behind b/c when theres too much food in my stomach, my intestines cant process it as fast and i get C. im terribly afraid of this happening again but sometimes when i get worried/stressed a search out a snack--which is bad! so if anyone else deals with this..would you tell me some of your secrets?? thanks-so-much!!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: ive been noticing... new
      #165756 - 03/31/05 12:20 PM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

What an interesting post-
I am someone who is bloated all the time-- Except in the morning as soon as I wake up. So I personally have not figured out exactly how to stop this bloating. I kind of just figure it is a part of my life now and that's it.
But I am quite anxious to see some more replies.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

This is probably something to do with... new
      #165759 - 03/31/05 12:22 PM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

food combining. I've been reading a lot recently about how and when you eat and certain foods inhibit the digestion of others if you eat them together as each food group digests at a different rate...so it could be this?!

That's an interesting idea. new
      #165764 - 03/31/05 12:26 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

If it is that (and if I understand the theory correctly) then a good all-round digestive enzyme should help.

Remember that while snacks are VERY good for IBS, over-eating is a BIG trigger....so if you're going to be snacking, keep meals small-tiny. I overdid my dinner tonight (there was one tortilla left and I ate it ) and within 5 minutes I was 8 months pregnant!

Possibly... new
      #165767 - 03/31/05 12:29 PM
nikjones_uk

...but as fruit (esp Melons) digest at a rate of knots not sure if say eating them (not that i would, ouch) after a meal that a digestive enzyme would help?! As I say, not sure about it all as I'm new to this food combining malarky, but apparently there is a lot to be said for it?!

Food combining?-Nik? new
      #165771 - 03/31/05 12:31 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

What types of foods are not supposed to be eaten together?

This would make eating very difficult, wouldn't it? I always have a potein (fish or chicken) with a grain and a veggie for dinner. This is probably wrong according to the food combining "rules" right?

Or if I take a digestive enzyme, would it be okay to combine like this?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Do you personally food combine?-nt new
      #165772 - 03/31/05 12:32 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

me too!! new
      #165777 - 03/31/05 12:47 PM
little bear

you do the pregnant theory too!?? i thought *I* was the only one who thought of it that way AND dealt with it!! cool except not b/c its sucha pain!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Hehe new
      #165780 - 03/31/05 12:50 PM
Linz

You obviously missed Michelle's (ecmmbm) post a while back when she'd done a website with a photo of her stomach out-to-here...it looked SO like she was pregnant but it was "only" a bad meal!

food combining new
      #165781 - 03/31/05 12:52 PM
little bear

i usually do alright during the day. if i eat breakfast really early in the AM like 7ish...then ive started my day and my food periods are normal..lunchtime is lunchtime, dinnertime is dinnertime..and so-forth. my scariest meal i think is dinner b/c its usually my biggest meal. now that ive been thinking about the combining theory ive been really scared to eat my soups! i have a veggie-alphabet soup and im scared each veggie will have a different effect. i keep thinking that if just 1 is problematic, the others will overule it and i wont have an issue but now im second-guessing that. 1 food item i count as 1 meal, which i know is not the best thing to do but its what i can manage. do you do this too?? ive been being really careful about what i add in as far as flavor too

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

?? new
      #165785 - 03/31/05 12:54 PM
little bear

what does the "-nt" in the subject line mean? ive been wondering that..

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

fun metaphors are always helpful! new
      #165787 - 03/31/05 12:57 PM
little bear

i know i get bloated thru-out the day when my meals and snacks overlap eachother. i think of my digestion like a conveyer belt. a normal GI tract has a normal setting. but as im always C..my setting is a little slower.

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Re: Hehe new
      #165791 - 03/31/05 01:00 PM
little bear

really?? i had absolutely no idea the pregnant feeling happened to other ibs-ers. sometimes i feel like im in one lonely boat alone but then i come here to type!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

nt = no text new
      #165794 - 03/31/05 01:01 PM
Linz

It should be in the list of abbreviations (sticky post near the top of the 1st page of this forum).

Funny you should use that description.... new
      #165795 - 03/31/05 01:02 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I always describe my condition to my friends as "I feel like I'm perpetualy four months pregnant."

Re: fun metaphors are always helpful! new
      #165797 - 03/31/05 01:03 PM
little bear

wow--thank you guys for all of your replies everyone responded so fast!!! thats cool! i had actually been thinking about these theories with my meals and foods and digestion but didnt ever want to say them b/c i thought they made me sound like i had an eating disorder im glad to hear [and read!] that everyone knows what i mean! its great to share theories~thanks again

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

It means "no text" so it's just what is written on this line -nt new
      #165798 - 03/31/05 01:05 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

Re: Food combining?-Augie... new
      #166023 - 03/31/05 10:50 PM
nikjones_uk

Ok, there are three groups of food,

Group 1 - proteins (meat, poultry, cheese, fish, eggs, milk, nuts) produce acid juices for their digestion - they digest slowly

Group 2 - Carbs - all grains and the foods made from them (bread, pasta, cereals, flour, biscuits etc) and starchy veg like pots, yams and s/corn which produce alkaline juices. These digest quickly and require different enzymes to proteins.

If you eat groups 1 & 2 together, the competing enzymes and digestive juices will fight and neutralise each other. The result is that food doesn't get digested properly and rots inside the gut, causing gas, bloating, heartburn, tummy pains, malabsorption, indigestion and energy drain etc

Group 3 - salads, non-starchy veg, roots, seeds, herbs, spices, nut & seed oils. These can be digested with either Group1 or Group2 above.

Group 4 - Fruit - This is out on its own and holds the record for the fastest digestion rate. Fruit uses completely different enzymes from all other groups!!

So it says - don't eat Group 1 (proteins) and Group 2 (carbs) together at the same meal!!

Group 3 (veg) can be eaten with groups 1 or 2

Group 4 (fruit) must always be eaten on its own, at least 30 mins away from other food groups. It's best to eat fruit on an empty stomach, pref in the morning with no other food types. If you eat fruit after a meal, it can't go anywhere, because its stuck behind food that takes much longer to digest, so it will ferment in the gut. When fruit is mixed with other food groups you can expect bloating, flatulence, indigestion (never mix melons with other fruits. Melons digest fastest of all fruits - therefore eat alone or leave alone!!

Leave two hours after a carb meal before eating protein, leave three hours after a protein meal before eating carbs - protein takes four hours to reach the bowel, and carbs meals take two hours from mouth to bowel!

ACCORDING TO GILLIAN MCKEITH!!

So that goes against everything I've been doing for the last 27 years, eating a big roast dinner with potatoes, meat, and veg all in one!! No wonder I'm ill!!!!!!!!! ARGH - so many conflicting stories!!!

Re: Do you personally food combine? new
      #166024 - 03/31/05 10:52 PM
nikjones_uk

Not right now, but I'm thinking of trying it. I always eat rice with chicken and a bit of veg - thats a meal to me? I can't get my head around just eating some carbs then two hours later eating some chicken?!?! Whats that all about?

-nt means new
      #166031 - 04/01/05 01:15 AM
nikjones_uk

Theres no text in the message, to save you clicking on it...

Re: Food combining?-Augie... new
      #166037 - 04/01/05 04:25 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

wow- this was very informative.
Melissa

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Re: Food combining... new
      #166040 - 04/01/05 05:14 AM
nikjones_uk

I got it from Gillian McKeith's You Are What you Eat book - not sure if you're privy to our Gillian, but she's pretty good - personally I have to make sure I follow the IBS guidelines as well, as I'm going to end up a right mess!

Thank you new
      #166206 - 04/01/05 01:11 PM
Augie

for typing all this out for me! I don't know what to think of this. Very confusing to me. I wonder if it really works. I'm afraid I would'nt have the discipline to do this. I like to eat all my food mushed together. Tastes better to have fish and chicken with herbs or Braggs sauce or lemon mixed in with my rice, quinoa, or millet. Plus, it would be difficult to have two separate dinners. First the grain and veggies, then the protein. I don't have all night to eat!

--------------------
~ Beth

Let us know if you try it and how it goes!-nt new
      #166208 - 04/01/05 01:12 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Exactly my sentiments... new
      #166318 - 04/01/05 09:58 PM
nikjones_uk

..its a real nightmare....

I will x - nt new
      #166319 - 04/01/05 09:58 PM
nikjones_uk

Re: ive been noticing... new
      #166366 - 04/02/05 07:04 AM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

I start in the am feeling great and end up the day bloated as well. I just attributed it to stress. How interesting. The other night I was on travel-very stressful trip-and despite all attempts to stay relaxed, eat right, and taking phasyme-I still had the 8 mos pregnant look when I went to bed. I understand the anxiety. I never know how clothes I put on the am are going to feel by 3:00 in the afternoon. It stinks, but I too am learning to accept it as a fact of life.

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

I tried the food combining diet... new
      #166380 - 04/02/05 09:03 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

of one of the many million diets I tried before going on this diet. I was on it (strictly) for about 2 weeks and it didn't help at all. In fact I think I remember I was worse. (Of course I wasn't yet paying attention to the IBS guidelines so I was still eating salads and such but still.) But that might just be my experience - it might work for others.

I'm not sure how you would modify it to fit the "soluble-fiber-base" rule though - you pretty much could never eat protein with SF, since pretty much all the SF foods are either grains/starches or fruits. A "safe" meal on this diet could be a chicken breast and a cup of cooked veggies (NOT starchy veggies though so you're pretty much left with IF veggies) - and for me that would not be safe at all. So not quite sure how that would work.

FYI too there has been *tons* of conflicting research done on this diet, some saying it works and others disproving it totally, so just to let you know. I think I digestive enzyme with every meal, as someone mentioned, can do a pretty good job to solving some of the problems the diet suggests.

Thanks, Laurel new
      #166384 - 04/02/05 09:27 AM
Augie

Now I don't have to feel so guilty for not having the discipline to do this!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2097 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3970

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review