All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
frustrated newbie here
      #165665 - 03/31/05 08:37 AM
ebrbetty

Reged: 03/31/05

Hello, I was searching for help for my IBS..gas,bloating.stomach pains,constipation..etc..and found this site,the more I read about Acacia the more excited I became,could relief be that easy?
Now after reading some of the messages here I am totally confussed,seems many of you are unhappy with it. I've been using psyllium,it does help me with the constipation,but the stomach pains,gas and bloating are terrible.
as I said,I'm lost..will Acacia help with the pain and bloating to or is it just being hyped up too sound like a great product?
thanks, Betty

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: frustrated newbie here new
      #165667 - 03/31/05 08:41 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Welcome- ALot of good people and info on this board.
I personally haven't used the acacia- but as you have said there are mixed reviews. SOme people have great results others do not.
I personally use citrucel. I used to use Metamucil but found I got alot of gas with it. I truly don't know if that was causing the gas or the IBS-C was causing the gas. But I switched anyway.
Enjoy the board.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

#165671 - 03/31/05 08:52 AM
ebrbetty

thank you for the welcome. I'm at the point were I can't stand the pain and sick feeling anymore. my stomach is always bloated and making loud noises..sounds like I'm starving,but its the pains EEEERRR

#165672 - 03/31/05 08:53 AM
melissam

Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Are you IBS-C or D or A?
I have alot of pain also- Crampy pain- especially after I eat.
They can be pretty intense sometimes.
You most definately aren't alone.
Keep checking the board though- I am sure someone who is experienced with the Acacia will reply soon enough.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

#165674 - 03/31/05 08:57 AM
ebrbetty

I'm IBS D
what is A? never heard that one before?

#165675 - 03/31/05 09:02 AM
hazlbezl

Reged: 02/11/05

IBS-A is when you've got both D&C.
I used to use Metamucil, but it gave me horrible gas and bloating.
I tried the Acacia and love it. The problems (gas & bloating) went away really quickly.
The Metamucil did help with the D, but seemed to make the other things worse (and the gas was causing me some pain as well).
It seems to me that different sfs work differently on different people and the only way to find out which is right for you is to try it.
I'm lucky that I found mine on the second try-but I know other people had a little more trial and error time.

Good luck and welcome!

#165689 - 03/31/05 09:37 AM
ebrbetty

thank you for the help. I'm just so sick of this,my belly hurts 24/7,I seem to be in a flare the last few weeks..if I eat it hurts if I don't eat it hurts? can't win!!

#165753 - 03/31/05 12:18 PM
Sand

Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm IBS-D and acacia has been great for me, but different people do well with different soluble fiber supplements. If you do a search on "Acacia", you should find lots of posts where people discuss what it does and doesn't do for them and what other soluble fiber supplements they've tried and found helpful or not.

If you've only checked the message Boards, you really need to look through the whole site. Heather's help for IBS is not based just on a soluble fiber supplement, so relief is not just as easy as taking Acacia or any other supplement. (I wish!) Heather's plan is also based on avoiding trigger foods, basing your meals on soluble fiber foods, and eating insoluble fiber foods very carefully. Beyond what you eat, you can be helped by the use of some herbal teas (nothing too weird, so don't worry ), exercise, and stress management.

This plan has been a Godsend for me and the people on the Boards are great, so welcome and I hope it helps you, also.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Psyllium is notorious! new
      #165760 - 03/31/05 12:23 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

ESPECIALLY for causing gas/bloating. I was on that before I tried Acacia and Oh MY! is the Acacia easier on me! I LOVE the stuff.

Like Sand said tho, it's isn't that simple...but I HIGHLY recommend getting "IBS: The First Year"...I learnt more (that made sense) from that book than from anything else.

Linz is right about the book. (More) new
      #165774 - 03/31/05 12:33 PM
Sand

Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It's great and well worth the price.

One of the things I love about Heather, though, is that you can find the basics of her plan on her Website for free. So, while you're waiting for the book to arrive, go to the main message board page and under the Eating For IBS Board description you'll see a bunch of hyperlinks that you're asked to familiarize yourself with. Read these and you'll have a firm handle on the basics. What you read on the Boards will make a lot more sense.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3563 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3052

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review