All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
How do you know when it's a lack of digestive enzymes versus
      #165620 - 03/31/05 05:34 AM
Harmony

Reged: 01/08/05

having too much acid? The pain seems to be the same, and if you take acid relievers, that will make the pain worse if you need enzymes to eat. Or am I missing something here?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How do you know when it's a lack of digestive enzymes versus new
      #165641 - 03/31/05 06:34 AM
Harmony

just wanted to bump this one.

#165688 - 03/31/05 09:37 AM
Harmony

Can't anyone help with this...:(

#165701 - 03/31/05 10:15 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

having too much acid? The pain seems to be the same, and if you take acid relievers, that will make the pain worse if you need enzymes to eat. Or am I missing something here?

All I can add is that before starting on a routine of digestive enzymes I was getting GERD, which I'd never had before IBS. WITH digestive enzymes/probiotics AND SFS I get no gas/burping/belching, GERD, etc. I still get pains/some bloating, but that is usually caused by eating to much or a trigger food. It may be a bit different for me since I'm older and as we age the pancreas cannot manufacture the amount of digestive enzymes we really need. I took acid relievers at first and they did nothing on a long term basis..they were only 5 minute band aids. I prefer to stick with digestive enzymes thank you...I take them with every meal except bkfst which is usually light and my best time of the day. Most people don't give them enough time to start working on a regular basis..they'll try something for a week max and if it it doesn't work, give up... Kandee

--------------------

Should digestive enzymes be taken new
      #165704 - 03/31/05 10:20 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

with snacks as well? Like a serving of potato chips or a piece of toast with some almond butter? Or do you only need them with "meals"?

Since we are suppose to snack often, do I need to take a digestive enzyme with every snack?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#165707 - 03/31/05 10:30 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I tried enzymes for about 2 1/2 months after much research. I started probiotics at the same time as I was made to understand that the combination was more effective than either alone. Well, I did notice improvement, I'm a C, but I was having problems with breakthru bleeding that my gyn said was probably being caused by the enzymes...it started about the time I started the enzymes, so made sense to me. I have decided to leave off the enzymes for the past few days, and so far am noticing no difference.

I've been doing tons of research, and there is a lot of argument over this subject. I don't think lack of enzymes is a true problem with anyone under 60 or someone who does not have true inability to digest milk or sugar (a lot of IBS'ers can't do either too well. If acid is the problem, I would think it unrelated to IBS - as in GERD - because I have never been bothered by acid UNTIL I started taking the enzymes.

I don't mean to ramble on so, but acid and IBS are separate issues even though they are often found together in IBS patients. If you are younger than 60 and eat a fairly balanced diet, you really shouldn't need enzymes other than something like bean-o for gas or lactaid for milk. I'm going to drop the enzymes myself and stick with the probiotic and acacia. I think all in all it turned out to be something I just didn't need.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#165717 - 03/31/05 11:00 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Kandee - I know you are a C too, so I appreciate your opinion on this. I'll be 38 my next birthday, and at this time of life bc pills are considered necessity. I just didn't want to give that up for the enzymes. I hope I didn't give bad advise. But I never had acid reflux until I took the enzymes, not to mention the bleeding. I thought 2 1/2 months was long enough, and just started leaving them off the past 4 days. What do you think?

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Personally... new
      #165740 - 03/31/05 11:52 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I only used to take them when I was having a meal, usually lunch and tea/dinner as I never needed them after breakfast. I am off them for a bit now, am on probiotic and acacia...and still off the refined sugar and sugary foods, and also yeast....day 3 - keep on truckin!

#165743 - 03/31/05 11:58 AM
AerobicsAngel

Reged: 03/24/05
Loc: London Ontario Canada

I take enzymes with supper every day or if I have a big lunch instead of supper. I find when I stop taking them I get D more frequently. I am IBS-A. I'm confused about needing them as well, I hate to be dependent on things.

#165775 - 03/31/05 12:43 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well I guess if you take a PPI or Zantac (NOT antacids) and it helps, then it was likely too much acid. But talk to your doc about this!

Thanks to all who responded, the information is helpful new
      #165980 - 03/31/05 07:08 PM
Harmony

I am 56, and trying to gain weigh, so my food amounts have increased and I was feeling stuffed and that my pancreas and gallbladder, was having trouble digesting the extra food. It's like my body has to relearn to a full stomach. I thanks you all for the thoughts.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3612 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 970

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review