All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I think I've worked out why I bloat.....
      #164444 - 03/27/05 09:31 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Now you lot are going to say "well, duuuh" when I say this but I think I have figured out why I'm constantly bloated lately. I've been on this diet now for nearly 3 months I think, and at the beginning it was a real case of survival because I desparately needed to put weight on - thankfully Heather saved my life!

I delighted in eating lots of soluble stuff esp bread/pasta/rice and sugar especially coco pops with chocolate soya milk. So, now my body (and mind) are finally stabilising my body is trying to tell me something. I got such a shock when I realised that I polished off a 600g box of Coco Pops in less than a week!!!! I used to be addicted to sugar and now I'm doing the same things but with IBS safe foods!!?!

Anyway, back to the point....my friend told me that when she was a student she used to eat and eat coco pops and in the end she ended up with candida - which made me think, ok I've just polished off that HUGE box of ccp's, I keep craving sugar, my gerd is worse, my tongue feels thick and like it needs a scrape, and (excuse the TMI but...) I am getting discharge in the you-know-what area....not massively but more than I used to get when I was off the sugar!

Which all points to one thing doesn't it guys?!

I'm overdosing on the sugar, and I feel like I can't stop.....my bloat is constant and only goes down slightly if I'm empty!! OMG...what a revelation....sorry for the mindless rantings but I really think I need help!! Does anyone have any suggestions...if I haven't confused you with my ranty blatherings....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I think I've worked out why I bloat..... new
      #164447 - 03/27/05 09:47 AM
roid

Reged: 11/21/03
Loc: united kingdom

Garlic!!

Garlic has natural anti-fungal substances. Thats if im reading what your syaing correctly and thinking its a yeast infection :]

Garlic is wonderful stuff anyways, so i take a tablet everyday.

Thank you... new
      #164449 - 03/27/05 09:54 AM
nikjones_uk

..although I think my main problem is my obsession over sugar The yeast prob I can probably overcome but not without giving up the sugar...which is hard work! But I will give the garlic a try, although my body doesn't like garlic much, hope it deals better with caps!

Yogurt/Probiotics new
      #164471 - 03/27/05 11:31 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Years ago I had a gyno who swore by yogurt for yeast infections, so I would think either soy yogurt with active cultures or possibly probiotics would help. (She actually recommended not only eating yogurt, but also - Warning: TMI - using it as a douche or pack. I have to admit I never tried the latter.)

Maybe if you think of cutting down on sugar gradually rather than making it a "forbidden" food it would help psychologically in eating less of it. I don't know about you, but as soon as a food goes in the "No, Absolutely Not" category, I just crave it more.

HTH. Good luck.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Yogurt/Probiotics new
      #164483 - 03/27/05 12:35 PM
nikjones_uk

Thank you - I have heard about putting on "the area" - which kinda made me laugh! haha. The problem isn't really down there, although its not 100%, the main problem is in my tum, and my tongue feels like I've just eaten a jar of vege/marmite!! I wake up in the morning with a nasty taste in my mouth like I'm dehydrated, but I'm not, because I drink enough (if not more than I'm supposed to)....anyway, I'm going to do a bit of trial and error with the diet, making sure my IBS doesn't get affected too badly, its a real balancing act all of this. They do say that candida albicans can cause IBS, I've had these symptoms for a long long time, so maybe thats what has affected my IBS!?! Who knows eh! Thanks for your post xx

My revelation on bloat new
      #164523 - 03/27/05 05:15 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

is that I eat too much and too much at one time.

Nik why do British people say "soya" instead of just soy? I just got an e-mail from the B&B people that said that and it got my attention.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Good post! new
      #164525 - 03/27/05 05:19 PM
Little Minnie

A friend of mine was on antibiotics recently and started on yogurt *before* the antibiotics had a chance to do anything of that nature. wink wink.
I had to give yogurt to a filly once that had D really bad to the point of needing an IV of ringer's solution (from an antibiotic reaction). The vet recommended yogurt to get her flora back to normal in her gut. Poor thing. She took it in a syringe tube.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Soy -vs- Soya... (LINZ...!) new
      #164566 - 03/27/05 10:42 PM
nikjones_uk

Truthfully....I have absolutely no idea, I'm never sure whether to call it soy or soya, so just take my pick when I type!! We have soy sauce over here, which goes with chinese food and soya milk which is what it says on the carton?! I bet Linz would be able to tell you - she is SO the fount of all knowledge....

Re: Soy -vs- Soya... (LINZ...!) new
      #164576 - 03/28/05 02:48 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Soy, soya, whatever milk always used to be called soya milk over here. I've started calling it soy milk since I've been on here.

Cutting down on sugar. new
      #164577 - 03/28/05 02:50 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

This is what I've been doing and it's alot easier than going cold-turkey!

Re: Good post! new
      #164629 - 03/28/05 08:25 AM
Sand

You sound like you have an incredibly interesting life: meter reader, novelist, trip to UK, now filly fixer. Neat!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I am definitely... new
      #164664 - 03/28/05 09:55 AM
nikjones_uk

...cutting sugar out of my diet, although having it in fruit and as rice syrup (not sure if thats sweet or not?) in plain soya yoghurt - if I don't, and I eat just a little bit, I will want more and more....I'm sad....the lack of sugar today has made me kinda depressed and my heart feels disconnected from my head (if that makes sense) - so fingers crossed eh

Since cutting processed sugar out of my diet my tummy doesn't bloat as much...~nt~ new
      #164707 - 03/28/05 11:12 AM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

--------------------
"puffy"

LOL new
      #164737 - 03/28/05 01:07 PM
Little Minnie

You mean an incredibly low paid life! I worked with horses for 10 years right out of high school and by the end I made $8 an hour as a manager AND they tried to make me work extra for free as if I was salaried. I do miss the horses though.

--------------------

Re: LOL new
      #164798 - 03/28/05 04:31 PM
Sand

Well, there's a part of me that wants to say "money isn't everything" or "the important thing is that you liked your work", but I really think those sayings are more true if you're actually making a living wage. And boo, hiss for employers who try to get extra hours without paying extra money.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 775 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1850

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review