All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
A question for everyone about SFS
      #163662 - 03/24/05 07:45 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Just wondering how many you had to try before you found one that you're body tolerated and didn't create worsening symptoms?

And how many just gave up and decided to take none? How many did you go through before giving up?

I have tried about 4 or 5 now and don't know if I should just give up.

Thanks again for your feedback. I know I'm getting to be kind of a pain! I was hoping by this time I could be on the helping end of the scope (hey like a colonoscopy pun!) instead of the constantly needing help end. Thank you guys for not giving up on me. I so appreciate each and every one of you!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

You already know my answer, but I'm replying anyway! new
      #163666 - 03/24/05 07:49 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I tried 2 before finding one that worked for me. First was Citrucel, and it was horrible. I knew that was bad because even the tiniest bit had me doubled over with pain. Next I tried FiberChoice, and that was my winner. It did NOT make me feel instantly better, but it didn't make me feel WORSE, so I figured that was good enough for me. And sure enough, as I kept increasing, I had no problems with it, and eventually I got to a dose (9g/day) that made me feel better. Before that point, I really didn't feel like it was doing anything at all.

Since starting Lexapro, I've needed the SFS less, and since I honestly can't afford to buy one now anyway, I just don't take one. I think I'd be more stable if I started back up and took it regularly, but... well, lack of money wins this one.

And silly, you're not a pain - you're still looking for your answers, and I hope you find them so you can get feeling better!

Re: A question for everyone about SFS new
      #163667 - 03/24/05 07:49 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

We're here for you, Augie! We'll never give up on you. Remember, a lot of us are in the same boat as you. (or have been in the past). Don't give up on trying a SFS. There are lots of brands out there. Just make sure you start at a VERY low dose (I start at half the recommended starting dose for Acacia for example). Also, give it a bit of time. Sometimes the initial symptoms will wear off after a week or so. So don't be quick to drop off a particular brand after a rough day. Give it time, sweetheart. IN the meantime, hang in there!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#163673 - 03/24/05 08:04 AM
roid

Reged: 11/21/03
Loc: united kingdom

Well, i tried acacia, and didn't really see any benifit. I guess i wasnt really sure what i was doing with it. Anyways, i slowly increased the dose, but stopped after i ran out, as i just didnt think it was doing anything for me really.

I managed to stabalise without it, and was doing fine, up until this damn panic disorder reared its ugly head!

#163675 - 03/24/05 08:07 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I tried Metamucil on and off over the years, but just couldn't stand to swallow it - plus it never seemed to do anything.

I also tried Benefiber last summer, but it made me feel very burbly.

I finally tried Acacia, started at 1/2 teaspoon per day and worked my way up by adding 1/2 teaspoon every 3 days. I never had any trouble with it and between the Acacia and Heather's diet, I'm doing much better. I will say that when I first started taking Acacia, the dose was so low it didn't seem to be doing anything, so I kept taking it and increasing it pretty much on faith - or, more likely, desperation.

As for continuing to need help, I spent months thrashing around before I finally felt like I had somewhat of a handle on things. I'm not very comfortable asking for help, so I did it all by reading stuff on the Internet and, once I finally, blessedly, found this site, reading both Heather's book and everything she wrote on the main part of this site and then doing about a million searches on the Boards. I suspect your way of asking questions until you know what you need to know is probably a lot better - certainly more efficient!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#163726 - 03/24/05 10:38 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Here's what I've tried and the results:

Metamucil - horrible gas pains and bloating
Benefiber - horrible gas pains and bloating
Acacia - bad pains
Citrucel (powder) - chalky taste, wouldn't drink it!
Citrucel (capsules) - these worked the best, but my acid stomach couldn't handle the citrus
Fibercon - bad gas pains and bloating

The one I'm on now is FiberClear and it is working awesome for me. Heather recommened it to me after everything else I had tried. I actually found it at my nearby Walgreens and love how I can mix it into my cream of rice in the morning. What is nice about the FiberClear is that it doesn't have the guargum or other products that weren't agreeing with my tummy. I believe it is derived from corn starch.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#163732 - 03/24/05 10:58 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

Hey Augie,
For what it's worth, I started out with Benefiber & although it wasn't hurting me, I didn't think it did much. I started reading about acacia & since it was stronger, I decided to try it. I started with 1/2 teaspoon & increased by 1/2 teaspoon every week. I'm now up to 9grams per day & I do think it helps. I still get gas/bloat almost every day but at least I'm having a BM every day (or at the most every other day) & for me that's a plus. I find that if I don't over eat & I move around a lot, the gas/bloating is much better. I'm really bad about sticking to this diet so I have to find other alternatives to help me. One strange thing I've found is that when I don't obsess about it, it's better. The more I really think about it, I think my problem is stress related. I'll have to consdier AD's but I'm afraid of them.
well, that was probably more than you were asking for, I hope some of it helps.
Meryl

that's good new
      #163734 - 03/24/05 11:08 AM
Augie

that you only had to try 1 before finding acacia. Doesn't the gas/bloat still bug you?

I also think that because I am sooo obsessed with this IBS that I am probably just making things worse. But it is hard not to think about the pain and trying to research and read everything I can get my hands on about GI problems.

I have wasted so much money on supplements too.

And you can never post too much info for me! The more feedback I get, the more helpful the reply

Did you just take your 1/2 tsp once a day, then the next week, 1/2 tsp twice a day, etc?

--------------------
~ Beth

I always love getting your replies new
      #163735 - 03/24/05 11:10 AM
Augie

Even when I already know. You still seem to add some additional info I don't know, or some encouragement! Plus, others may benefit from your replies!

Will email you tomorrow. I'm off from work!

--------------------
~ Beth

#163743 - 03/24/05 11:33 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I tried metamucil (ick!!!) and then citrucel tablets which had no effect and then I tried Benefiber (Ding! Ding! It's a winner!!) I take 4 tablespoons a day and that is my magic dose.

Honey sorry to hear you are still having problems, I am guessing you are not stable yet, huh? Hang in there you can control this thing.

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1912 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3665

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review