All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Gas question
      #163104 - 03/22/05 05:03 PM
AmyNC

Reged: 03/22/05

This is a different username now. I found that it really stunk that people could search my common other name and read my posts from a search engine. Anyhow, I'm not new to the board.

I've dealt with pain, bloating and gas almost daily for the last year. Can someone tell me why I can eat a PB&J sandwich at lunch and do fairly descent, but I cannot eat a sandwich and salad or my english muffin pizzas and salad? I'm stuck with PB&J. Used to be a favorite and now, bleck.

When I eat other than PB&J, the gas smells of (excuse me for this, but) rotten eggs every time. Now the hydrogen sulfide is produced from meat, fish, beans, eggs and I think dairy. Now, all my meals consist of small amounts of dairy. I handle breakfast just fabulous as long as I stick with oatmeal or cereal. If I say have a waffle then I have D. Dinner, I can just about have anything I want. But, lunch is the killer. So I can eat PB&J and feel 80%, but have a salad and a sandwich and it is the worst of the worst. And always the yucky gas described above. Once this kind of gas starts, it is generally gone around bedtime or thereafter.

Any thoughts???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gas question new
      #163197 - 03/23/05 03:33 AM
Kemi

Reged: 03/15/05
Loc: MO,USA

hi Amy!i have a problem with gas also,expect i have it 24/7 from the time i wake up to the time i fall asleep..and it flares up and goes crazy when i have an aniexty attack or cant let it out.it usally passes threw my thoart and rarley out the other way.i know i cant eat pb and jelly..and when i eat oats it goes crazy too,i dont know why this is!i dont totally understand the ibs diet,im banging my head into the wall trying to figure it out.

#163203 - 03/23/05 04:29 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

IF can cause gas - it's my major trigger. So like you I can eat a PB&J sarnie and am fine, but if I put lettuce in my tuna sarnie, I get gas and D! Bummer, huh? Salad is generally one of the hardest things to reintroduce...so avoid it atm!!!

And you should cut out ALL dairy...it's really important to cut out all the triggers until you start to stabilise.

#163216 - 03/23/05 05:18 AM
AmyNC

Now, the dairy thing, is it really a trigger?? I can eat it in the morning and I can eat in the evening fine... it seems anything that upsets me upsets me in the middle of the day. I guess I could just do a little test and see what happens.

Thanks for the response!

#163218 - 03/23/05 05:23 AM
Neeta

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I find this too, all is well until lunchtime, then all goes to pot! Now I have found that I can eat toasted rice bread with flax seed marg. and sardines for lunch, followed by some hemp icecream (not dairy, hemp based) and all is well! It's just trial and error. Things changed for the better for me when I stopped eating wheat and gluten. Neeta

Triggers... new
      #163219 - 03/23/05 05:23 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...rarely work as simply as that...having some in your diet (even if it doesn;t immediately cause a reaction) can make you more susceptible to attacks - ESPECIALLY before you stabilise. SO it's best to cut it out completely, at least until you stabilise.

And different triggers can have a cumulative effect. SO in your case, having dairy in the morning could make you more sensitive to the salad you have at lunch.

#163226 - 03/23/05 05:38 AM
AmyNC

Sorry you are having problems, too. It stinks to have IBS.

#163231 - 03/23/05 05:43 AM
AmyNC

Thanks for your input. The afternoons can really be horrible for me and unfortunately I only work part time / flexible jobs because of it. IBS has caused a real financial strain and that's on top of all the tests and doctor visits I have had.

Neeta, question about hemp ice cream? new
      #163409 - 03/23/05 02:34 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

Where do you get this hemp ice cream?? I am very intrigued, it sounds yum Thanks!

--------------------
~Angela

Re: Neeta, question about hemp ice cream? new
      #163484 - 03/23/05 05:49 PM
Neeta

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

The product I get is called "cool hemp" website www.coolhemp.ca or .com, not sure. It is made organically near Ottawa (up here in Canada). I actually met these people at an Organic show at our local University. Man what great people! Anyway, I don't know if they ship down there but contact them they always answer emails, let them know that I gave you their name Anita Stevenson is my name, anyway it is a great source of omega 3 and 6 and all sorts of other good things, check out their website. The chocolate is go damn yummy, I am hooked! Infact all our local suppliers have run out so I sent the makers an urgent plea begging them never to stop making it. They are a small outfit, I hope they continue to succeed. Sending this to the states might be tricky. Why not ask them if you could start making it down there. It would sell like crazy in California. Isn't that where you are from? Good luck, maybe somebody down there is already making such a product. Worth the effort of finding it. Helps my digestion tremendously!!!!!!! Can't live without it. Let me know how you get on. Neeta

Neeta thanks for the info about the hemp ice cream!!! new
      #164198 - 03/25/05 11:27 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

It sounds fabulous!! They are definitely the most nutritious frozen desserts I have seen, and totally IBS safe and low in fat!! I am definitely going to write to them and beg them to carry the stuff in the US. It seems like a great company and the other products look good too!! Thanks so much again for the info!!

--------------------
~Angela

MMMMM. Looks yummy! Too bad .... new
      #164204 - 03/25/05 11:49 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

NO-ONE ever seems to ship outside canada and the US! Oh well. I suppose that's cause it costs a small fortune to do it and the conversion rate kinda goes against us Aussies. Maybe one day in the future (me crossing fingers).

--------------------
Amy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3113 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1995

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review