All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Help! I Feel Like I'm Drowning new
      #16593 - 08/07/03 11:27 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Kristen,
Good for you for standing up and speaking to all 32 girls about this! I may have to do that at my next luncheon. It is hard when people don't understand. Everyone I talk to insists I must have a problem with my gallbladder. When I tell them the doctor checked for that and it wasn't that, they still instist it is. Everyone thinks they're a doctor!!!! One thing this has taught me is to emphasize with others that have a medical problem and to not judge them.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#16645 - 08/07/03 05:30 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

Hi
So sorry they said that too you. That so wasn't kind. Tell them to understand that you have serious digestive problems and tell them some safe foods you like so you can eat a good lunch. Make sure to only have IBS friendly foods so you don't get horrible cramps. It's just not worth it to get cramps because you ate food that isn't safe. Here's some food suggestions that you can serve rice cakes, rice crakers, fat free pitas, garlic pea dip, salsa, baked potato chips, pretzels, corn chips, soy cream cheese, tofu, soy sour cream, sourdough bread, french bread, fruit salad, saltines.
Best of luck.

#16656 - 08/07/03 07:47 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I've been reading through all these posts and I can't relate. My friends and family are so supportive. Before I go over to any of their homes they ask me what I can eat.

A year ago my family gave me a very hard time for losing a lot of weight. My brother called me up and chewed me out for having an eating disorder again(something I took control of 14-15 years ago). My brother and sister changed their attitudes once they understood IBS, but not right away. Now when I visit my sister she makes IBS safe meals and I really apperciate she did her own research to know what to feed me.

Sometimes it takes longer for people to understand. Sometimes I think people don't know how to handle situations, so they avoid dealing with the issues. Give your friends some time and hopefully you can educate them on your turf.
Good luck!

#16666 - 08/07/03 11:35 PM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

Hi,
I sooooo understand what your going through as they say been there and have the T-shirt.
Years ago I had a doctor that blamed me said I must be anerexic and must be taking laxatives!
That sure shot down my spirit but thanks to my Mom saying she believed in me, helped me see how wrong he was and I fired Him! But alas friends, I just keep repeating and re-educating them or just ignoring what they say (depends on how I feel at the time).
I try to bring my own food to get-to-gethers. friends rave about Heather's Pumpkin bread and Tuscan Tomato Bread Salad
If I can't bring something, I eat safe food before going and have a pretzel stash in the car at all times.
A friend told me about a wine cooler recipe (think she made it up)
1 glass of water & splash of any wine (1 teaspoon) and ice if can handle.
I love the way it changes the flavor of the water but not enough wine in it to trigger my IBS, and I nibble on bread or pretzels along with the wine cooler.
Remember we here know what your going through and we're on your side.
paintlady

Re: This is so frustrating... new
      #16863 - 08/09/03 09:59 PM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

I have a friend who claims to have IBS, yet when we go out, she has a few drinks, fried tortilla chips and artichoke and cheese dip, red meat and dairy desserts! She doesn't understand why I cannot eat what I want teven though I have IBS. She claims she can eat whatever and at times have problems. I told her that I am into preventing any problems so I am careful about what I eat. It can be so frustrating and yes I'd like to strangle her at times too!
leah

#16876 - 08/10/03 11:56 AM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

Kristen, you are incredibly poised and brave. We are proud of you! You did exactly the right thing. I was finally able to adopt this strategy since getting Heather's book and finding this message board. I don't feel all alone and "weird" anymore, so just tell it like it is. I feel like I am continually educating everyone I know, and am no longer embarrassed by the situation. Go for it, beaglelover! Just tell the luncheon group the way it is, explain, explain, explain, and then serve safe food--maybe as a teaching experience to show them what you can eat so they'll know what they can prepare for you next time you come.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1232 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 25018

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review