All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Are all GF people STRICTLY GF? new
      #162896 - 03/22/05 05:42 AM
Neeta

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi there, catching up with you again. I have gone gf now for about 8 months and there is now way I will every injest the stuff again (knowingly). Infact, reading your thread solved a mystery for me. I mentioned how my bladder was killing me after my weekend. Well on Fri. night I hosted a birthday party. I cooked the cake (gf of course) but forgot about the icing! That's why I got so sick!!! Thanks to the person who mentioned icing sugar had gluten. Now that really does tell me something. . . to answer your question, yep I feel that once you go gf you become more sensitive to it OR you feel more sensitive to the stuff because now you have times that you feel so well that when you accidentally injest it you feel awful, a state you are not now used to feeling. I gather you are quite young still. I am 45 and don't really care about eating or the lack of eating out business. I have been so sick for so long I just want to feel well. I can totally understand though, if you are young, what a pain this regime would be. All I can say is this is not something to mess with. Celiac can kill you. The worst is when you get d. with it. I had bloating not d. The d. can get so bad for people they just can't continue. There are all sorts of other diseases that stem from celiac. Even though I am gluten sensitive, I am not going to take any risks! I would not forgive myself years down the road if I developed cancer or something because I ignored by gluten sensitivity. Think about it. Much empathy, Neeta

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

JenX was like that... new
      #162898 - 03/22/05 05:49 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...when her Fibro was really bad she was convinced she was gluten intolerant...when she finally got some good meds to control her sleep, she could eat gluten all the time! Weird, huh?

{{{HUGS}}}

Good for Jen new
      #162905 - 03/22/05 06:17 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Good that she can now eat all the gluten she wants!! Yummy gluten! Gluten is so good! I miss my bagels!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I too am in this bind new
      #162934 - 03/22/05 07:21 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Well I just started a GF diet exactly one month ago, I have had a TON of improvement but I too still get bloated and uncomfortable every night starting at about 5pm or so. Its driving me crazy! I was sooo excited when I went GF and my symptoms started to disappear one by one, but this one just wont go away!
Im not sure about the question about slowly adding gluten back into your diet if you DONT have Celiac. I find the whole gluten sensitivity/celiac thing quite confusing! I do know that I will NEVER go back to gluten though after reading what it can do to you if you do have celiac and because of how much better I feel. Also, Ive read that it can take up to a year to feel better after going GF depending on how much damage you had, so who knows - maybe a couple more months and the bloating/gas will be gone too. Its weird - for me foods with gluten dont even sound good to me anymore because of what they used to do to me so I guess Im lucky when it comes to that! I have had a lot of success so far with GF baking and actually like most of it better than the stuff with gluten.
Do any of you know much about the blood test and test results? I had the blood tests done and both my IgA and IgG levels came back positive (my IgG level was like 102 with anything greater than 20 being positive!) and my IgA level was like a 22 but still positive. But I also had the TTG test (I think thats what its called) thats supposed to be the most specific for celiac and it came back negative so my doctor just looked at that and didnt even recommend a GF diet! So I guess my question is - is why didnt he even consider it? Isnt having two positive results enough to even try a GF diet? Well anyways I ordered a allergy test through York labs that tests you for 113 food allergies and Im considering another that tests for antibodies and also tests if you carry the gene for Celiac so I will let you know how those go too!

Re: Are all GF people STRICTLY GF? new
      #162939 - 03/22/05 07:35 AM
Neeta

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi me again, the site that I get alot of info. re celiac is USA Silly Yaks (celiac). They have a message board just like this one. Try it out. Any problems, let me know.

Neeta

Abby... new
      #162944 - 03/22/05 07:42 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there!

My GPs didn't even want to test me for celiac. I had to BEG for an upper endoscopy. Most conventional docs seem to fee that celiac is SO RARE...why bother? Most patients won't have it anyway

Docs do NOT know everything! I went to an endocronologist. I had written down my list of symptoms and handed it to him to read it. On it included things like fatigue, general achiness, etc. When I asked him if it might be fibromyalgia he just laughed....it couldn't be cause I didn't have the symptoms (I have been diagnosed with fibro by 3 docs since!) he didn't even READ my list of symptoms.

If a doc doesn't know about something...it takes a LOT for them to admit to this. Maybe they are afraid u won't come back if they don't know everthig...or their pride gets in the way ?

In any case....good for you for sticking to the diet! It's hard to when you don't know for sure....but your resu lts are MUCH clearer than mine as I came back completely negative on all accounts!

Keep feeling better....I bet the bloating WILL get better in time! *big hugs* You're doing GREAT!!!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Abby... new
      #162945 - 03/22/05 07:43 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there!

My GPs didn't even want to test me for celiac. I had to BEG for an upper endoscopy. Most conventional docs seem to fee that celiac is SO RARE...why bother? Most patients won't have it anyway

Docs do NOT know everything! I went to an endocronologist. I had written down my list of symptoms and handed it to him to read it. On it included things like fatigue, general achiness, etc. When I asked him if it might be fibromyalgia he just laughed....it couldn't be cause I didn't have the symptoms (I have been diagnosed with fibro by 3 docs since!) he didn't even READ my list of symptoms.

If a doc doesn't know about something...it takes a LOT for them to admit to this. Maybe they are afraid u won't come back if they don't know everthig...or their pride gets in the way ?

In any case....good for you for sticking to the diet! It's hard to when you don't know for sure....but your results are MUCH clearer than mine as I came back completely negative on all accounts!

Keep feeling better....I bet the bloating WILL get better in time! *big hugs* You're doing GREAT!!!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Hey again Neeta new
      #163120 - 03/22/05 06:04 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Hey Neeta, I'm glad you sorted out the C mystery! Yep icing sugar and cornflour contain gluten.... is there anything that doesn't!!

Well being GF as well as needing to eat IBS friendly at my age (27) is pretty tough because I used to have a really social life, but now I sometimes avoid social occasions because I don't feel I have the energy to explain why I can't drink, can't eat pizza.... can't eat chips and dip. There are a myriad of other activities that I do with friends and family, that don't involve food and alcohol, but we are a big 'foody' family, we love cooking and (used to) love eating and enjoying a few wines.

I am feeling a bit despondent at the moment because despite eating within the IBS guidelines AND being GF I'm still really bloated, the worst I've ever been. I guess I just need to give my body time to recover. But I can't help but wonder whether maybe there's something I'm missing.....

Waiting waiting waiting....

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Abby new
      #163130 - 03/22/05 07:12 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Are you still eating the kinikinnic bread with the whole egg? The white type? How are you handling the egg?

Let me know how you're York test comes back. I am very close to ordering from that company too as they seem to have the best track record as far as reliability. But the test is close to 400 bucks!

Glad you are finding some relief from the GF diet. I have had none! Except now C instead of D. But cramps, bloat and pain and gas are same or worse!

What other supplements are you taking? Acacia? Digestive Enzyme? Probiotic?

How is your weight on the GF diet? Are you gaining? Hope so!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Wheat free, not gluten free new
      #163164 - 03/22/05 09:44 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

I don't eat anything with wheat or yeast, so that limits me somewhat, but I do eat breads with gluten from Whole Foods or SFS. When I bake breads, I usually use a gluten free flour mix, and I eat a lot of rice and stuff. I am thinking of adding wheat back in, because my intolerance is only mild, but am scared

--------------------
~Angela

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7658 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10277

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review