All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: Along the college vein new
      #168592 - 04/09/05 06:41 PM
Alisa

Reged: 03/20/05
Loc: Appleton, Wisconsin

Hi Linda,

I'm so sorry to hear you've been having problems after eating the chocolate. It's so frustrating to be so affected by food, isn't it? I'm going on a day-trip with my choir tomorrow for a concert performance, and I have to bring all my own food to make sure I won't get sick before I sing. It's a hastle, but at least I'll know it will be safe. I'm doing a little better on acacia now. 1/4 tsp at night seems to be the right dose for me. We'll see how it keeps up. I hope you're feeling better now, and I hope you'll be able to find more gluten-free products that are labeled. Do you have a health food store nearby? Most health food stores label their foods if they're for Celiacs or diabetics, etc.

-Alisa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Me too, constant, no episodes new
      #168593 - 04/09/05 06:44 PM
Alisa

Reged: 03/20/05
Loc: Appleton, Wisconsin

Hi there! To get into a doctor at UNC you have to send your records, a referral, and wait for the doctor to review everything. After that, he or she will set up an appointment if they feel they can help you. I'm in contact with doctors at MAYO as well, but I haven't heard back since the receptionist said the doctor was willing to review my records. So, I'm waiting to hear back from both places. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get Naltrexone, but MAYO is looking more promising than UNC at this point. I'll keep you updated!

I'm feeling better on acacia (1/4 tsp at night), so I'm hoping that will keep up. I hope all is well with you!

-Alisa

Re: Linda new
      #168861 - 04/11/05 08:25 AM
123linda

Reged: 04/01/05
Loc: France

Hi Linz,
I was told my blood tests showed a very high chance of celiac,but I never had the full test done as it required eating gluten again and I could not face the severe pain and illness that causes me.For me the end result is the same,I cannot eat gluten.If I have even the smallest amount,I become ill very quickly.Combining gluten free with the IBS diet has brought the most relief I have had in years,but I make many mistakes. I have to buy my treats when I go home to Scotland as there is little here, in France, for me.Thanks for your concern.

Naltrexone and other things. new
      #168863 - 04/11/05 08:37 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Good that the Acacia seems to be helping you. I have had no success with any SFS as of yet (tried about 6 so far). Not acacia as of yet. I have delayed gastric emptying so SFS is not recommended for this. But with the IBS-C it is recommended. So what am I to do?

I wish I could get into Mayo or UNC, but I don't have a doc to give me a referral and my records are scattered all over between about 4 doctors and it cost money to get them!

I read that even after the clinic trials for naltrexone, it will still take 2 to 5 years for it to be made available. Even if you can get a script for it, there are only a few mail order pharmacies who produce the low dose and they provide it at 4.5 mg and the dose for IBS is only 0.5mg. So, you would have to try and cut it into 8 pieces. Impossible.

I don't know how I will make it for up to 2 more years without this drug and it will probably end up being closer to 5! Why do they do this if it shows that it can help people and it is already being used safely for other conditions?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#170054 - 04/15/05 05:17 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Sorry to hear about your problems, Linda, I was just wondering whereabouts in France you are? I go to Nice several times a year and buy lots of stuff in an HFS there - they have tofu, quinoa, lots of other stuff. I can't remember the address right now but could look it up if it is any use to you.

I agree France is difficult about labelling - I was surprised about that as I thought labelling in the UK (which is generally very good) was because of EU regulations so would be the same in France.

One of the best things in France is the bread which is no use at all to anyone eating GF - this must be very frustrating for you!

Do you eat chestnuts - they seem to be a good source of soluble fibre plus a bit of protein and no gluten - and quite widely available as they are grown a lot in France and Italy.

Coincidentally I live in Scotland most of the year - just outside Strathaven now, but I used to live in Glasgow. Where do you shop when you are back over here? Would love to swap notes with you!

Best wishes,

Josephine

#174761 - 04/28/05 09:26 AM
123linda

Reged: 04/01/05
Loc: France

So sorry I did not see your post until today.I live in the part of France which is right beside Geneva in Switzerland.It is very rural here.You are right about the bread.I miss it and the cheese,but not the stomach pains they give me.When I was in Scotland in March,I found the free from sections in Sainsbury's and Tesco very helpful although trying to sort out gluten free and IBS friendly is very hard work.Still,at least it was well labelled and all in English.I too was shocked at the poor labelling here in France,but it is better than it was.I find it easier to cook for myself as I then know that every ingredient is safe.Thank you so much for your comments and good luck to you.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1107 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36504

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review