All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Did it ever get better??
      #162552 - 03/21/05 12:34 AM
ToilettPrisoner

Reged: 02/20/05

I've been sticking to a daily intake of Acacia fiber, Peppermint tea and pills, Fennell tea, and an overal boost in my soluble fiber. I've seen some improvement, some is better than none ofcource.

I think I believed I'd read Heather's books and jump into al this and *poof* no more IBS.

When I'm at home on an average day the IBS is so so. I usually know the triggers and can help easily like say drinking herbtea with a questionable dinner sorta thing.

Going out tho is STILL killer.
I'm already so shy in public, my whole life I know I've been tense in public anyways, well now I have wonderfull IBS to remind me of just how tense I am and I just seem to be getting nowhere there.
The diet and herbs have failed me in this aspect.
I go weeks atta time never leaving my home!!!

So first I'd like to ask...what next??
Drs and drugs?? If so what do you recommend?
Did anyone here EVER get away from IBS on JUST diet and herbs??????????????
And then for those who did do drugs with diet an all....as well as even Hypnotherapy....exactly where did it get you???? IBS free??

Like ok here this is my question:
First state what YOU are doing bout your IBS, just diet? Just drugs? Hypnotherapy? Name it all.

And then on a scale of 1-10 1 being your life without all of that when you had no help with IBS the pre-diagnosis days. and 10 being a free spontanous life such as your no-IBS friends have. Then where has your IBS prevention aids put you??

Like for me I'd say the diet changes and herb/fiber intake daily has put my IBS life at maybe a 4.6. Certainly better than the 0 it was in the begining when I was still drinking a thick Espressor daily and then crying in agony in the bathroom for hours.

I am so desperate. and miserable. Please help

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Did it ever get better?? new
      #162556 - 03/21/05 01:49 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

First of all, hang in there. Nothing works immediately. I think I was 3 months or so on the diet before I noticed ANY improvement at all, so you're ahead of me in that regard!

Second, and I'm not trying to be discouraging, I swear, but there is NO cure for IBS. You can manage the symptoms very well and in effect you'll be "cured", but there's always the chance that it will come back. If your IBS is mild, I truly believe that you CAN get yourself 100% symptom-free. If it's severe, like mine is, I just think that's an unrealistic goal in a lot of respects... and when I let go of that expectation and just concentrated on the fact that I was improving, it helped my state of mind greatly.

Anyway, that said, on a scale of 1-10, I'd rate the normalcy of my life at about a 7 or 8 - and that's FANTASTIC. I'm very happy with that. I've had IBS since I was 12, possibly even younger than that, and after 18+ years, 7-8 is like a godsend, even though I still have bad days.

What I'm doing is pretty simple: I follow the diet religiously, with no cheats. (Ok, I steal a sip of soda here and there, but we're talking once or twice a month.) I take medication for my anxiety - Lexapro 20mg daily - and by extension, it's helped my IBS greatly. I take a fiber supplement when I remember to, which isn't very often. I take Imodium when I need to.

I also have to be very particular about what I eat when, and how much I eat, and how often. All in all, it took me from May 2004 till February 2005 to really get what works for me down pat.

And that's it.

As far as symptoms go, I tend to have a "bad tummy day" once or twice a month, depending on how stressful things are in my life in general. Even with the meds, stress sends me running to the bathroom. But for the most part, I know I can go out and not have much in the way of problems. I always carry safe snacks with me, as well as some imodium in case I have problems.

If you have anxiety issues, which it does sound like you do, to an extent, I definitely urge you to pay attention to that and do what you can to improve it. You don't necessarily need to be on medication. Seeing a therapist was my first step, and after that, I decided to try anti-anxiety medication. You could also try the hypnotherapy program; I haven't tried it because I can't afford it, but I've heard nothing but wonderful things about it. Anxiety and that "tense feeling" is worth addressing. I went for YEARS convinced that I didn't need help for it, and I really think that was keeping me from ever really feeling well.

Does it get better? Absolutely! Hang in there - you'll see!

#162557 - 03/21/05 03:07 AM
roid

Reged: 11/21/03
Loc: united kingdom

I'm afraid there is no easy solution, what works for some people, may not work for you. But these things do take time. If you think to how much your gut and you have been through, it makes sense that things aren't going to improve that quickly. It may even be that you might experience withdrawnal symptoms from the things you have to cut out (like coffee), but you'll be better off without them in the long run.

On the other hand, depending on the severity of your ibs, once you have identified what works for you, it may get better much quicker!!

#162596 - 03/21/05 07:07 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Wow, you gotta listen to what Casey says. I remember how hard it was for her to get to the point she is at now. She had it rough! No cold anything. But since she didn't give up she has so much great experience now.
Carrying safe snacks is really important, drinking enough, exercise and eating small smounts often are also very important to me. I agree that IBS is never cured. Even if a person thinks they are cured they could get extremely stressed and it could be back. Doctors need to find more things to help us- especially with IBS A and bloating!
My life is pretty dran normal, except for having to eat different than others. It doesn't bother me much at all. The only part that does is when close friends/family just disregard my needs (like at my mom-in-law's dinner recently ). I don't worry about C or D at all anymore. I still and always will probably hav streaks of weeks of bloating everyday, sometimes with and sometimes without pain. I think the test with me will be my trip next month. I don't take any drugs or supplements personally and I don't suffer from depression or anxiety (only bit**iness) but I am disappointed with the drug choices in general. I think the otc herbs, probiotics, enzymes and all that are generally placebos. Sticking to the diet is the best, even though a challenge for some.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Little Minnie- question new
      #162607 - 03/21/05 07:22 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

You don't take any supplements or meds? No probiotic, digestive enzyme, or peppermint caps, etc? And no meds?

How the the heck do you manage your constipation? I have been struggling for 5 months with this diet and still suffer severe, dabilitating cramps, pain, and constipation. It is life altering in my case. I am connected to my hot water bottle every night! And the Constipation is outrageous!

What foods do you eat to help the constipation? Brown Rice over white? Certain veggies that help more? Unpeeled fruits? I have tried to get this C under control, but to no avail yet. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Lots of Hugs to you. You have always been so helpful on this board! I want to be where you are! How long did it take you to get there?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Little Minnie- question new
      #162653 - 03/21/05 11:36 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Thanks Beth. I started the diet nominally last April and got on track about June when I came here to ask questions etc. I was awesome all summer. In fall I got bloated again (probably from stress) and was on and off bloated all winter. I am in a non-bloat streak now and I think my dieting and therefore eating less is what did it (maybe why I am better in summer than winter- I am a pig!!)
As a kid I was very C and then as a young adult I got D pretty bad. Since then I go back and forth and can never say what I am more inclined to. X rays show C on me when I don't feel C. Anyway my SFS keeps me regular I think along with liquid intake of 70 oz a day or so. You can see what I eat everyday on the fitness board- nothing special! I don't know why I am not C anymore specifically. But no I am not on anything but acacia and fennel/pep tea mix. I haven't used imodium since my sister's wedding in Sept. and I haven't used GasX in a very long time. Sorry I can't explain anything any better.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#162659 - 03/21/05 12:16 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

It takes time. It takes a lot of time. And then... it takes even MORE time.
But seriously, you will feel better. It takes time for your body to adjust and for you to learn what your body will take and what it won't. There will be some foods that are fine and some that you need to avoid - even ones on the safe list. For example, steamed broccoli is supposed to be OK and a good source of insolubles. I can't tolerate it. Only in tiny amounts in a stir fry can I put up with it. Another thing - I can't tolerate at ALL whole wheat flour or whole grain products. Some people can tolerate small amounts really well.

I've had IBS for 10 years now and the first few were by far the worst. Once I started Heather's diet I did see improvement, but there was still a way to go. I also have an anxiety disorder so I know exactly how you feel about going out in public. It drives me around the bend. Especially to top it all off worrying about an IBS attack. ANd then there's today. Today I am completely symptom free. I found an antidepressant to address my anxiety disorder, and drink lots of peppermint tea, take peppermint caps, etc. I hardly ever worry about a long car trip or going out with friends. IBS is the last thing on my mind now.
And this is from the person who didn't eat anything till 4:00 pm when I got home from work so I wouldn't risk having an attack (I was a teacher so I couldn't leave the room for an attack).
So take it from me. It CAN get better. Just give it some time. I know you're probably sick of being stuck at home. Try for short outings. Like a 10 minute walk. Walk 5 minutes one way and 5 minutes back. That way y ou're never more than a few minutes away from home. Try working on things like that. ANd try it during the part of the day you're most stable. For me it's the morning.
This is a rather long winded response but I hope you take some comfort in what I said.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Little Minnie-second question! new
      #162661 - 03/21/05 12:33 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I checked some of your posts on the Fitness board and you only listed rice. Is it brown rice or white?

Also, how much acacia do you take?

Thanks, I'm done now!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

I only take Acacia or my IBS btw... new
      #162685 - 03/21/05 01:36 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...all the other stuff I take is for my Fibro!

And I'm happy on 2T a day. I'm IBS-A.

Yup! new
      #162690 - 03/21/05 01:40 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

There is no cure for IBS and no miracle treatment. It all takes time. It took me about 6 months to begin to stabilise on this diet and I was working from a point of D (even tho I'm actually A) which in some ways is easier - especially when it comes to working out tolerances, etc.

You've gotta beat the anxiety! Get out there!!!! This will be making the IBS so much worse...you HAVE to go on living. Get more meds if need be. And btw, it's a vicious cycle - the more you DON'T go out, the more of a problem it is. So break the cycle!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4029 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1839

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review