All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
soy milk probs- blame on carageenan?
      #16250 - 08/04/03 09:30 PM
ladydaisy

Reged: 07/03/03
Loc: maryland, u.s.a.

although i took the lactose test and was officially branded as NOT lactose intolerant, i still find dairy products upset my gut a little, except for parmesan cheese, oddly. naturally, i decided to try a health food store-brand of vanilla soy milk. as a predominantly C IBSer, i ended up having D for a day and an ultra-sensitive stomach. i've had other soy products before, i.e. mostly meat alternatives such as boca or morning star products, so i didn't think i've have a problem. at first, i thought i had a bad reaction to the soy milk, because i'm not used to that type of soy, but after doing a little research, i discovered that the additive carageenan (found in the brand of soy milk i bought) can be troublesome for people with digestive probs. my question is: what should i try next? should i try another brand of soy milk (without the carageenan stuff, of course) or just move on to rice milk instead? what about other dairy alternatives, such as cheese and yogurt: are they as troublesome the first time around? (sorry so many q's!! but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! )

--------------------
"Only the strongest are put through the fire..."
~Quote from the novel "Archangel" by Sharon Shinn

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: soy milk probs- blame on carageenan? new
      #16258 - 08/05/03 05:25 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I'm doing much better now that I switched from the soy milk to the rice milk. (I'm IBS-C.) You may want to try it. At first I thought it was gross tasting, but now that I've gotten used to it, I like it. I buy the vanilla flavored kind. The brand is WestBrae Natural. Hope this helps.

#16263 - 08/05/03 06:07 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

If dairy bothers you, stay away! You might not be lactoste intolerant...but there may be other things about milk that upset you (like casein, the milk protein, for example).

Soy milk. Did you drink a lot of it? (I am also IBS C and I think soy milk may have done that to me once too...I had a TON of it though!) Was there anything else suspicious you ate/drank that day? How many times did you try soy milk? I might try it again...a small glass...OR I might just go ahead and try some carrageenan free.

I had a tough time with soy in the beginning. Heather suggested I take it slow (and I had to read ingredients to make sure things were gluten free!) and I am doing ok with it now.

I hope this helps...let us know how it goes!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: soy milk probs- Can it cause C? new
      #16266 - 08/05/03 06:14 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I just started drinking soy milk and still very C. I wasn't able to nurse my third child and he had a reaction to foumula, so we switched him to soy formula. He went from D to C.
I'm wondering if soy can also cause C in adults. Any thought on this.

Re: soy milk probs- Can it cause C? new
      #16277 - 08/05/03 06:52 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I know when I stopped drinking it, my C improved!!!

#16816 - 08/09/03 01:43 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I've been drinking soy milk for years and have never noticed it worsening IBS...except...and this is all I can think of:

Dairy products consistently give me D--have for about 10 years--I haven't *unthinkingly* had a glass of milk in that time (though I have caved in and had a glass or two ). Since soy products *don't* give me D, I revert back to my usual state: chronic C. Also, soy milk/cheese/etc. are protein foods, and I know that if I have to much protein it makes my C worse. So if I have soy mac'n'cheese, it might not contain any milk and it might still cause a problem. Does that make sense? Just my two cents about the whole soy/C issue.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 447 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 978

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review