All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Re: Good effects of a-d's... new
      #163275 - 03/23/05 08:22 AM
roid

Reged: 11/21/03
Loc: united kingdom

I've been up and down on an emotional roller coaster today. Nothing to do with the prozac im sure, but just the whole 'taking an a-d' thing.

To be truthful im really scared about the possible side effects. Even though i may have none. I hardly slept a wink last night worrying about it.

I just feel really torn. On the one hand i want to give it a fair go, but this anxiety im feeling additionally because of these worries surely wont let me give it a proper trial!

Every little twinge i have, i think 'Is it the prozac?'

I dont know, maybe i'm just not desperate enough for this yet.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thank you, Linz! Good effects of a-d's... -nt- new
      #163276 - 03/23/05 08:23 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

#163286 - 03/23/05 08:42 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

What you're describing is EXACTLY how I felt when I started taking Buspar. But now I wonder: Aren't those feelings a sign that we are way too anxious? Would someone who didn't share these anxiety "issues" stay awake at night over-analyzing, attempting to predict, constantly worrying about a medication that has been proven to be effective and that we're taking under a dr's watch? I don't think so.

I think from you've written here and your consultation with your GP that this is the right time to start. If Prozac ends up not working for you, I'm sure she would help you find a different AD.

How are your girlfriend and family supporting you during this time?

#163295 - 03/23/05 08:55 AM
roid

They're leaving it very much upto me.

I guess i've come this far, i may aswell give it a go. This is only the 1st day after all. No doubt i'll change my mind again in a few hours

roid... new
      #163371 - 03/23/05 12:04 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...you might want to talk to your doc about this kind of therapy. Sounds like you could really do with it. I know getting any sort of therapy on the NHS is d*mn difficult, but you might as well try to get the most useful one if you're going to get anything!

Hi Roid, I'm a little late on this conversation. new
      #163500 - 03/23/05 07:17 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

But I wanted to say I totally understand where you're at right now. I'm in a similar situation as far as anxiety goes and am about to embark on AD's. I've been on them before but they weren't right for me. One made my heart speed up to the point where I was getting chest pains and the other made me dopey ALL the time, with 3 kids I didn't have time to be so tired. I had my new ones for about a week a few months ago and didn't notice too many side effects. That being said I'm only on a low dose. I still believe that they are worth trying though.
I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with things with your girlfriend. I'm married but still struggle with many issues with DH about my IBS and how it affects my life. The pain is incredible and never ending, the whole issues around leaving the house. We don't go to movies (I can't sit still that long without the pain getting so bad I want to die)we don't go to restaurants (eating in a public place then probably needing the bathroom immediately after-no thanks!) and just don't do things that most other couples do. It's very tough on him and as much as he tries he just doesn't understand what it's like (and at least he readily admits this). My health causes much stress and many arguments between us. I hope that you can find what helps you and that life starts to be a bit better soon. It can be a very dark place when you constantly feel so sick. I'll be thinking of you, keep us updated on how you are going and keep the questions coming. I think that information is the key, we just have to try it all until we find what works for us. I'm still looking but believe one day things will improve. Hang in there.

--------------------
Amy

Hey Linz, about CBT... new
      #163504 - 03/23/05 07:35 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

You seem to know EVERYTHING!!! I am amazed at your expertise on all of these health subjects...can you explain more about how CBT was for you? I have read many good things about it, and would like to try it, although I'm not sure about going to a therapist without a recommendation (I found one in my area online) and I don't think my current shrink is trained in it. This book I read recommended group therapy, but I don't think there are any groups near me either. Thanks so much for your input!!

--------------------
~Angela

Re: roid... new
      #163539 - 03/24/05 12:53 AM
roid

After you mentioning cbt i had a google, and found this site .

Its services are free, so i signed up, took the test and now fill in the diary every day.

I bit the bullet this morning and took my 2nd prozac.

Re: Hey Linz, about CBT... new
      #163560 - 03/24/05 02:25 AM
Linz

Oh, I didn't take it! Not properly anyway.

I know about different therapy methods cos for a while Si and I were the primary carers for a good friend of mine who was suicidal! And we were trying to find anything that might help. CBT has a GREAT track record.

What I meant about me is....CBT basically teaches you the skills to control your anxiety/depression on your own. Alot of it is to do with learning to recognize when you are getting worked up and what thoughts/actions trigger off that, etc. Then you can learn to stop yourself from doing that.

I realised at one point that b/c I was so anxious about needing the loo in an awkward moment, I was going to the loo even if I didn't particularly need to then just in case! And this was "training" my bod to think it could go to the loo even more regularly than it was! This was a particular problem for me when I was commuting to work and got to London, just before I got on the Tube (no toilets ). So I made a conscious effort that every time I got to the station and automatically started to rush to the loo I would stop myself, take a few deep breaths and ask myself "do I really need to go NOW?" If the answer was no, I would make myself wait! Simple, but quite effective. It did mean I needed to find toilets I could run to en-route if neccessary, but it stopped me always having to run to the loo wherever I was.

Note, I was using Immodium and this diet to reduce my symptoms while I did this...the anxiety loo stops were extra.

Sounds very cool! new
      #163562 - 03/24/05 02:27 AM
Linz

Well done! Keep up with the meds..it'll take a while to get the effects, so you need to take them for at least a month before you can see if you like them or not anyway!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 833 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21914

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review