All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: I've never actually heard... new
      #162561 - 03/21/05 03:17 AM
roid

Reged: 11/21/03
Loc: united kingdom

Well in my endless quest for knowledge i stumbled accross this site which details some of the med that can be used for anxiety disorders.

I'm feeling a little depressed at the moment, as Louise phoned last night and asked if i wanted to go to the cinema with her, but i had to decline because i was feeling so bad. I could hear in the tone of her voice she was dissapointed, but she said it didnt bother her. Life has a habit of not being fair!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hint... new
      #162713 - 03/21/05 01:58 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...if you can't cope with the cinema, suggest a DVD instead! I still always get an aisle seat at the cinema and take some water.

Fair enough on the a-d's. They do help you to cope better with life I have to admit!

Re: Hint... new
      #162719 - 03/21/05 02:09 PM
roid

We used to watch a lot of films together at each others houses, but it got to the point when we wouldnt go to the cinema ever!

She phoned again today, and said if i felt up to it we could go out later. I felt a bit bad after dinner, so i went for a little walk and listened to some relaxation cds, before phoning her. So she says 'its too late now!', turns out she wanted to go the cinema! I try and get her to just go out for a drink with me, but no luck there

Seems like everything that could go wrong has gone wrong these past two days I felt so bad yesterday, i couldnt even have a normal conversation with her

I just hope and pray that whichever a-d i do go on doesn't effect me too badly. And i can make it up to her quickly!

anxiety meds new
      #162727 - 03/21/05 02:28 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Thank you for posting this link! It's useful to know about the different meds for anxiety. Nice to know there are options.

I'm currently taking Buspar (low-dose, short-term use) for generalized anxiety; this is my fourth week on the medication and I'm finding that I'm able to sleep better and the physical symptoms of anxiety (shaking, stomach cramps, etc) have lessened. I was on imipramine/desipramine about nine or ten years ago when I was first diagnosed with IBS (this was pre-anxiety), but I couldn't tolerate the side effects. So far, I'm happy with the Buspar (no side-effects, and even though it's described as a mild tranquilizer, I never feel sedated). I've never liked taking/relying on medications--I was really against using Buspar at first, but my doctor insisted I give it a try--and I didn't think it would help. I'm glad I tried it because it has been helpful (although it takes 2-4 weeks to have any effect). Has your dr mentioned Buspar to you?

I've also been seeing a counselor (today was my last day!), which has helped me pinpoint thought patterns and self-talk that lead up to the feelings of anxiety. Keeping a symptom journal also has helped. I'm not completely cured, but at least I know how to be aware of what starts the anxiety and how to manage it. The same with the IBS symptoms: I'm finding ways to cope. With this diet, the counseling, and medication, I've only had four D attacks in the past six months. At times, I still feel anxious that I'll have an attack, so the next step I'm going to take will be getting the hypnotherapy CDs offered on this site (once I have the cash).

CBT... new
      #162856 - 03/22/05 01:09 AM
Linz

...(cognitive behavoral therapy) which sounds like what you're describing is one of the best methods to combat anxiety! It's basically what I used on myself...I'm way analytical.

Re: anxiety meds new
      #162868 - 03/22/05 02:55 AM
roid

Well i went this morning, and had a good chat with my gp. We discussed how i'd been getting on the last month, and i explained that the anxiety and ibs was having a major negative effect on my life in general ( with both relationships with my family and girlfriend being strained to the max). She was very sympathetic.

We discussed the a-d route and decided the best one to try 1st was Fluoxetine (Prozac). I did mention Amitriptyline (Elavil) but she advised that as it was an older a-d it was more suited to depression than anxiety, and there was a greater chance of side effects. She did leave the decision to me finally, so i thought best to trust her medical opinion.

Shes also refering me to a counselor, which knowing what the nhs is like might take a while, but might aswell get the ball rolling.

I've just gotta try it, and fingers crossed find the strength to cope with the side effects (if i get any!).

#163088 - 03/22/05 03:51 PM
lalala

Will you please keep us updated on how you're doing with Prozac? I'd like to know whether or not you experience any side effects and if it seems to help with your IBS-D. Did the dr mention how long it would take to work?

Well, I'm wishing you the best!

#163198 - 03/23/05 03:37 AM
roid

She didnt explicitly say how long i should start seeing effects by, i assume that different people have differing drug tolerences, and start seeing benefits at different times.

I must admit i felt quite anxious this morning before taking it, as in the back of my mind im scared of the possible side effects.

I'm going to try really hard for a week tho.

Good effects of a-d's... new
      #163202 - 03/23/05 04:27 AM
Linz

...usually take between 2 weeks to a month.

#163274 - 03/23/05 08:22 AM
lalala

I know what you mean! I was really anxious the first time I took Buspar. REALLY ANXIOUS. Now that I look back on it, I wonder why. I mean, I couldn't feel any worse than I was already feeling.

I was asking how long your GP said it would take because you wouldn't want to give up too soon. Will you being checking in periodically with your GP?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1377 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21782

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review