All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Re: Two questions about insoluble fiber and ginger question
      #161376 - 03/17/05 06:39 AM
tmc

Reged: 03/07/05

Thanks Linz for your reply and helpful information. Do we know how Heather discovered Acacia as a fiber supplement? I'm very relieved to have found it but just want to feel comfortable that there won't be some unexpected negative long-term effect. Also, I've often heard that ginger helps relieve gas and indigestion. Do people know if this is true or is this more of an old wive's tale? I see that it is in alot of Heather's cookbook recipes so I imagine it's not a problematic food--just wanted to know if it is beneficial as well. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Two questions about insoluble fiber and ginger question new
      #161379 - 03/17/05 06:47 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Yes, it is true about ginger. It does help relieve gas and indigestion. It isn't problematic at all.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Re: Two questions about insoluble fiber and ginger question new
      #161385 - 03/17/05 07:05 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

My impression is that acacia is used in a lot of prepared foods and has been for a while. I did a Google search on "acacia + fiber" and found some food industry sites that reference it. Here are a couple, including one company that claims to have been around for 100 years (you'll have to copy and paste the second address, it doesn't work as a click-on hyperlink):

http://www.farbest.com/products/gum_acacia.html

http://www.preparedfoods.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,1231,115026,00.html

Based on this, it looks like acacia's been in use long enough for any weird side effects or long-term problems to have already appeared.

Hopefully, someone on the Board with more specific knowlege about acacia will chime in.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Both answers true! new
      #161389 - 03/17/05 07:21 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Ginger is actually best at relieving nausea, but it is good for all-round digestive health. However, if you GERDs/reflux then unfortunately it needs to be avoided, along with peppermint.

Acacia is used in foods...the SFS Heather produces (which is organic unlike most of the Acacia used in foods) just hasn't been on the market very long. So long-term side effects are unlikely, especially as it doesn't enter the bloodstream anyway in the manner of all SFSs.

I personally cannot tolerate ginger new
      #161401 - 03/17/05 08:06 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

So it may not be safe for everyone. Just my 2 cents!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

As I said... new
      #161421 - 03/17/05 09:09 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...it's not suitable for anyone with GERDs, reflux or any acid problems.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1357 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 630

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review