All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
WELLBUTRIN
      #161190 - 03/16/05 01:31 PM
MT

Reged: 03/16/05

Does anyone take wellbutrin to help with their ibs. Any success stories? I am starting today. Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: WELLBUTRIN new
      #161343 - 03/17/05 12:51 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I had some success with a different a-d. Haven't heard of that one being used for IBS before. Be interesting to see how you do.

#161827 - 03/18/05 08:55 AM
MT

Would you mind telling me which one? I know it will probably take awhile to see results, but I don't notice anything yet, I know though it has only been 3 days, but you want to feel something that offers hope. The one you tried wouldn't happen to be effexor would it? If not would you let me know which one. Thanks

#161834 - 03/18/05 09:17 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I'm taking wellbutrin for an anxiety disorder. I do find that life on antidepressants does help my IBS immensely.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#161842 - 03/18/05 09:25 AM
meliskiss

Reged: 03/17/05
Loc: Michigan

I was on Effexor to help stop pain in my bladder (i have interstitial cystitis as well) & never really noticed it helping. Effexor is a scary drug... I had an awful time getting off of it, the withdrawl symptoms are horrible (for me anyway & others i've talked to). I have a friend on welbutrin who swears by it but i would not recommend taking effexor.

Re: WELLBUTRIN/effexor new
      #161843 - 03/18/05 09:33 AM
MT

I know about effexor. I was on it for a year. I probably had one of the best years ever, but the side effects bothered me and eventually I didn't feel it was helping, so I attempted to stop taking it. It was dreadful getting off it. I had these things called head shocks, when you move, it is like getting shocked. But I held strong and got off it. Does anyone know of any other antidepressants that are used in connection with IBS.

I was on... new
      #161858 - 03/18/05 10:23 AM
Linz

...Elavil for IBS and then Celexa for full-on depression. I'm now on both for my Fibro. Side effects: possible weight gain (so much going on I don't know) and decreased sex drive.

#162188 - 03/19/05 09:09 AM
Sunflower5

Reged: 03/17/05
Loc: Georgia, USA

I am on effexor!! I have been on 75mg a day, for about six months. After reading your post I have become concerned. Is it addictive? Is it dificult for everyone to get of it? I am calling my doctor on Monday. Please advise.
Thanks,
Monica

Re: IBS and A-D new
      #162190 - 03/19/05 09:21 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Check out this page for more info on anti-depressants used for IBS:

http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/glossary.asp

I'm IBS-D and I've tried Paxil, which did nothing, and Elavil, which worked for a while, then stopped working. From what I've seen on the Board, it sounds like different anti-depressants work for different people and for some people none of them seem to help. I'm off them now and find that Heather's diet, plus Bentyl and Immodium as needed, help enough that my life is starting to resemble normalcy - not there yet, but I have high hopes!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#162193 - 03/19/05 09:48 AM
RobinV

Reged: 01/08/05
Loc: wayne,pa

I have been taking wellbutrin for a year for anxiety. It hasn't helped with my C AT ALL. Actually it can cause constipation,but I have had C mostly all my life.So don't count on helping it.But everyone is different. It has helped with anxiety and depression which I have.

#162244 - 03/19/05 01:24 PM
Linz

All the a-d's have some withdrawal symptoms (in most people at least). If it's helping you, then I wouldn't worry now. Just be aware when you do come off it that you might want to give yourself a week or so to feel crap and be grouchy!

#162405 - 03/20/05 10:23 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I don't think Effexor or any of the anti-depressants are addictive. It's just that, from what I've read, it's important to taper off gradually when you stop using anti-depressants and it's especially important to do so when you stop using Effexor. In other words, don't just stop cold turkey - step down slowly and the more slowly, the better.

I agree with Linz - if Effexor is helping, keep taking it. If you ever need to stop, you can do some research on the Web and talk to your doctor about how best to taper you off.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 364 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2882

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review