All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
needing energy
      #160870 - 03/15/05 05:59 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I have been following the diet for awhile now and we work out a couple times a week. I work full time and am feeling like I have no energy lately. I find it hard to find time to get everything done in a day without wanting to crash on my bed (or never wake up at all)
Is there anything anyone could recommend that I could take for a boost of energy?
I was thinking of rice protein as whey is out of the question, anyone had a good or bad experiences with this?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: needing energy new
      #160871 - 03/15/05 06:15 PM
leoandoreosmom

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Rockwall, Texas

Just a thought (or 3).
Could you be suffering from anemia? Women tend to be particularly prone to this if they are of child-bearing age. Iron is available in meat and egg yolks, as well as organ meats (which are also high fat sources). I would suggest an iron supplement or multivitamin. Make sure that it contains some vitamin C. Vitamin C is needed to help your body absorb the iron.
Iron is not the only thing that can cause anemia if you are not getting enough. Another vitamin that you might need to supplement would be Vitamin B-12. This is available in animal sources. Also, you might not be absorbing B-12 properly if you have any small bowel involvement (Crohn's or Celiac). In that case, shots may be necessary.
Could you have an underlying infection. With the allergy season, you might have a tendancey towards sinusitis. My husband had been feeling tired and that was one of the reasons...he had a sinus infection.
Are you getting enough sleep?
Are you eating breakfast?
Are you eating small frequent meals to keep your blood sugar even?

These are all things that might contribute to fatique. I am sure someone else might have other insights.

Take Care,

Karen

P.S. Like your kitty picture!

Edited by leoandoreosmom (03/15/05 06:16 PM)

#160919 - 03/16/05 02:57 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Make sure you get PLENTY of protein...rice/soy/spirutin powders are a great idea. Also, make sure you get some good fats, eg. olive oil....this diet is NOT no fat, just low-fat. DOn't cut it out completely.

And drink LOADS of water...dehydration makes you fatigued.

Rooibos tea has a nice perky effect without caffeine. I also use Siberian Ginseng for more energy during the day.

PS. I second what Karen said...get your doc to check you for Anaemia...it's easy to get when you cut out red meat and have trouble with dark green veg.

#160964 - 03/16/05 06:42 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

thanks for the help Linz and Karen, I will look into it further because it is not fun feeling like this!
Have a good day!

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#161037 - 03/16/05 09:12 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

what are you eating? some people (me included) find that a diet high in refined carbs makes us very sluggish and depressed...I couldn't eat it....

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 504 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 460

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review