All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Aches and pains, but not fibro?
      #160687 - 03/15/05 08:28 AM
Suze

Reged: 02/24/05
Loc: Virginia

Hi, I'm looking for some insight into my aches and pains! I've noticed that when my IBS flairs up, (I'm IBS-A) I get really achey...sometimes all over, sometimes just various parts. I was never achey before IBS. I don't think it's pervasive or painful enough to be fibromyalgia, at least from what I've read...and it goes away when my IBS symptoms disappear.

Does anyone else experience this??? Any idea what it is? Aspirin seems to help, but I don't want to take too much - I'm afraid it might aggravate my IBS!!

Btw, I'm very active (running, riding, weight-lifting, hiking) and have been for years. I've been on the IBS diet for about 6 weeks, and take acacia (12g/day). My IBS is better, and so is the achiness, but it doesn't go away unless I'm IBS symptom-free (which happens during my periods. Weird.)

Any ideas out there about what's going on???? Thanks soooo much for your help...This site has been a lifesaver!!

-Sue

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Aches and pains, but not fibro? new
      #160692 - 03/15/05 08:46 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I can't really be of much help as far as relief goes, but I get that. Mind you, I'm a little achy all the time anyway, but when I have a flare-up, I end up feeling like I got run over by a truck. I think it's just part of our bodies reacting - I also feel feverish when I'm having an attack, but I never actually run a fever. I've just come to accept it as normal for me, and it does pass, so I don't worry too much about it anymore.

Be careful with aspirin - I don't know about it being an IBS trigger, but it can definitely cause stomach problems. I believe Tylenol is quite a bit safer.

Sorry I couldn't be of any real help.

It's just nice to know... new
      #160696 - 03/15/05 08:58 AM
Suze

the weird stuff my body is doing these days isn't unique!! And you're right about aspirin...but nothing elses seems to work as well!!

Thanks,

-Sue

Re: Aches and pains, but not fibro? new
      #160706 - 03/15/05 09:52 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I used to RUN. One day the fibro hit and I couldn't anymore.
If you think it might maybe be even a tiny bit be fibro....there is so much more you can do if you catch it early. I say get it checked out if you're concerned.

One more thing...it's not ALL about pain. Do you have other symptoms? Go to www.fibrohugs.com and check out the symptom list. If it fits you I'd be concerned. If not...then don't worry about it.

Hope this helps!!! *hugs* Feel good

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I only developed full-blown Fibro.. new
      #160711 - 03/15/05 10:06 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...when my IBS got really bad. Heather VV actually suggested the diagnosis first as I was getting aches and pains with every attack. This is pretty common with Fibro...if one of the secondary illnesses flares, it causes an overall flare.

Plus, I've had Fibro for at least 10 years, but it never used to be a problem regularly. Just occasional joint pain or fatigue, etc.

Have you tried Paracetamol (Panadol)? Or Tylenol? These are both very good. A stronger drug is Ultram (combined with Tylenol it's Ultracet) which is probably the best thing available before you get on to the narcotics.

Question for Linz and Ruchie???? new
      #160804 - 03/15/05 03:00 PM
Suze

Just wondering...when you were developing fibro did you have pain at the pressure points? Or just achey? More pain after exercise? How about sleep disturbance? Sometimes (maybe once or twice a week) I wake up feeling like I've been run over by a truck! Also, about the time my IBS got worse, I began having really strange, vivid dreams...any connection? Are vivid dreams part of the fibro-related sleep disturbance?

Thanks for your help!!

Re: Question for Linz and Ruchie???? new
      #160963 - 03/16/05 06:38 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yeah, my tender points ARE tender. My main complaint pre-diagnosis was being wipe out alot of the time and hurting...with IBS attacks and after exercise in particular.

Poor stamina for exercise (hurting quicker, not not being able to do it) is classic Fibro.

The Mack truck mornings are when your Stage 4 sleep has been disrupted. This is the part of sleep when your body repairs itself. Not sure about the vivid dreams...although I get them I thought that was down to my meds.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4678 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 852

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review