All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Going from bad to worse.......new pain symptom
      #160148 - 03/13/05 02:21 PM
valentine

Reged: 06/10/04

I am just having a terrible time at the moment. Am ibs-c and have been dealing with c, terrible bloating and gas on a daily basis for over a year (c - all my life though) and thought that was bad enough until two weeks ago when suddenly doubled over with stabbing pains in my lower abdomen. This went on for a couple of hours until I finally fell asleep. Next morning had 3 bms within a two hour period (now that has NEVER happened before). Not diarrea but felt really sick for the rest of the day.

The pain really scared me. I mean I could not speak it was so debilitating. I had had fish and rice that evening - nothing bad. I guess up until that point I had been slacking off with the SF so decided I had better get with the plan again.

Went back on the benefiber for a week and felt good and even thought my gas and bloating were a little better when BAM got hit again with the pain (woke me up in the middle of the night!!) Next morning 2 bms ... Believe you me normally I would not complain but I felt so icky . Was terrified to eat anything for the rest of the day.

What is going on? Do any other ibs-c ers get this. I know the ibs-d ers suffer with this... Is there anything I can do to prevent this pain.

I am so depressed about this new occurance as it complicates everything even more. Before I just felt extremely uncomfortable (which was bad enough) now I am in fear of the pain and I'm sure I didn't eat anything I shouldn't.

I should add that I have just been diagnosed with GERDs and am on nexium now. What next....!!

Thanks for your help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Going from bad to worse.......new pain symptom new
      #160220 - 03/13/05 09:05 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Sorry to hear that you're having such a rough time I'm not really sure what to suggest...have you been officially diagnosed with IBS? Have you had all the necessary tests to make sure it isn't anything else (colonoscopy, small bowel follow-through)? If not, you may want to talk to your doctor about getting more tests...IBS generally won't wake you from sleep, so that pain may be something else.

Did you find the pain started soon after you started Nexium? Maybe you're having a bad reaction to the medication...as I recall abdominal pain can be a side-effect.

Your post didn't mention if you were male or female, but if you're female, maybe it's gynecological. That's something else to think about.

Hope you feel better soon!
Kelly

Vicam - thanks. Good point about the nexium - anyone else.....? new
      #160684 - 03/15/05 08:08 AM
valentine

Reged: 06/10/04

Anyone else have abdominal pain and/or loose bms while taking any of the indigestion/acid reflux medications.?

Nexium is one of those PPI ones (can't remember what it stands for though) meaning I should take it everyday to prevent heartburn (although I only really took it everday for the first week and then once in a while). It worked great but if it is the cause of the pain then obviously I will not take it.

Any other suggestions for effective heartburn relief in addition to tums, maalox etc?

Thanks in advance.

valentine

#160699 - 03/15/05 09:21 AM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

Did your symptoms seem to worsen after taking the Nexium? Constipation and diarrhea are a common side effect to this med, as is the same with Prevacid and Prilosec. Normally GERD is a temporary period of treatment between 8-12 weeks. How long is your Dr. wanting you to take it?

Maybe increasing your fiber intake will help regulate your symptoms. I know fiber is beneficial in both diarrhea and constipation.

I tend to go both ways with IBS but the most painful is the "C" and I can so understand when you say "debilitating" pain and inability to speak. This is exactly what happens to me and the pain is so great in the lower left abdominal/groin area and lower left back that it's difficult to walk and causes me to breathe hard while trying to cope with the pain. It's terrifying! I really feel for you as I had to go to ER twice the past 1 1/2 months with the same symptoms.

I'm also finding that my stomach is slow to digest during my cycles which is also when my IBS symptoms flare. I often go 5-6 days straight hardly able to eat as the food isn't digesting. If I do eat, it's very little fish with steamed or frozen veggies. After my cycle is over, my system is pretty much back to normal. I'm learning what to do too.

Take care. Heidi

Reflux drugs new
      #160714 - 03/15/05 10:12 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Zantac is the best OTC remedy for reflux. PPI stands for proton pump inhibitor...the proton pumps being the method by which the acid is produced. Zantac is different as it is an H2-blocker, meaning it blocks the action of histamine which stimulates the stomach cells to produce acid. So it's the same kind of effect (not like something that just tries to neutralize the acid and not stop it from forming) but a different method.

I had great success with a PPI in stabilising my GERDs but now use Zanatc for my occasional attacks.

Linz, I'm off to the docs tomoz.... new
      #160727 - 03/15/05 10:33 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

to hopefully get my PPI! I'm still suffering a bit, although as my anxiety is slightly less (two days into it!) its starting to feel a bit better, but it still feels raw in there. Linz, did you ever have other symptoms with it like fluey feelings??

#160809 - 03/15/05 03:18 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

im an IBS-C and i have had that pain before, pretty recently too. i remembered feeling it at work..it was like the pain had backed up all the way in-between the tops of my ribs. it always seems that im the most constipated 5 days out of 7, and then i return to my moms for one night to find that the next morning i have 2-3 BMs and feel pain enough to not eat all day. its strange..but most of the time i am constipated so i dont complain about it much when im able to go. but the pain scared me at first. i was expecting my period so i attributed the new pains to that plus the constip-bloating & gas. i figured it made sense, but my period never came. this wasnt too odd as i have been having problems with my period for nearly a year, now that i have become more aware of my ibs condition and have trying to [sanely] deal with it. try to hang in there. i still am and am sorry that i do not have better advice for you. i just wanted to share my situation since our pains are pretty similar. i hope you feel better!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

I"ve been awakened in the middle of the night with severe IBS pain -Confirmed by ER staff new
      #160855 - 03/15/05 05:26 PM
HeidnOut

It may not be common to awaken from a deep sleep with IBS pain but I can honestly tell you, I am one of the few that it has happened to.

Heidi

Not intended to contradict - Zantac new
      #160856 - 03/15/05 05:29 PM
HeidnOut

I had a former boss who suffered horribly and was taking Zantac for a long time. In his particular case he didn't benefit from it like most people have.

There always seems to be a straggler out there who will need to try something else. Could be a medication reaction or bodily. Hard to say. Isn't this IBS thing such a nightmare???? You guys have wonderful information. Heidi

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6402 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2207

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review