All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Simethicone gas pills
      #159903 - 03/12/05 11:26 AM
fatgirl1

Reged: 11/04/03

Does anyone get relief from pills like- gasx- or Phazyme? My dr.told me that they don't help- and in fact they have a rebound reaction and make the gas worse. What has your experience been?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Simethicone gas pills new
      #159911 - 03/12/05 12:11 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I take Imodium Advanced (loperimide plus simethicone) and it works great! Been taking it for 10 years now with no problem.

~nelly~

#159918 - 03/12/05 12:43 PM
fatgirl1

Reged: 11/04/03

Ok- thanks- will try that immodium product.

#159919 - 03/12/05 12:57 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I take straight simethicone, they aren't a cure all , but they do help a lot and make it much more bearable at times.. I take them when I eat gas causing foods or its that time of the month.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#160485 - 03/14/05 02:26 PM
karmakatt

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Massachusetts

I always thought immodium was something that stopped D..?? you might want to check the pkg. if you're a C it might cause problems!

as for the simethicone, my PCP told me take them 'as needed' which of course varies with my symptoms...

#160515 - 03/14/05 03:41 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I take Phazyme and it has been a lifesaver for me.

Barbie

--------------------

Re: Simethicone gas pills - My Dr. specifically suggested this for me new
      #160604 - 03/14/05 08:51 PM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

My Dr. advised me to take both Beano and either Gas-X or Phazyme together about 10 minutes before eating. At first I had been taking it incorrectly and even though it worked it had to take a while to break through. It wasn't until I experimented and found that taking it before eliminates both gas and bloating 95% of the time. Simethicone is one of the highly suggested things that GI and PCP Dr.'s will tell you to take if you experience bloating/gas. There is also charcoal that is used for the same symptoms, however I personally would be afraid to use charcoal because it turns the stools black. They always tell you it's not a good sign if you have either blood or black tarry stools. I've not tried charcoal because I might get confused and using the Simethicone has been doing the trick. Personally, I use the Phazyme brand of simethicone because each softgel has a higher ingredient of simethicone at 180 mg's where Gas-X only has 125 mg's of Simethicone. Either one if good but when combined with Beano (before you eat) you should notice a difference if not a huge difference. At least that's been my experience.

I wish you luck in your research. Take care. Heidi

Karmacat is right new
      #160607 - 03/14/05 08:56 PM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

If you're more prone to "C" I don't think Immodium will help with that like it does for diarrhea. If I was instructed correctly by a Dr., you normally would use Immodium if you're "D". For "C", I would suggest at least trying either Phazyme or Gas-X at a low dose initially. Don't forget the fiber too with a lot of water. You may be shocked at how fast it affects you for the better.

heidi

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6858 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1848

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review