All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help!Teriyaki a no-go?
      #159467 - 03/10/05 11:17 PM
WarMaiden

Reged: 03/01/05
Loc: Lexington, KY

New to the diet, I felt great all week (although mourning my cheeseburgers while eating Chex). I've been so good - last night I had rice with a pice of baked chicken with teriyaki and had such a severe attack I couldn't even leave work (I work the third shift). I didn't know I couldn't do teriyaki...or was it the chicken? Help....

--------------------
"Everything I really love to do is either illegal, immoral or fattening." - Alexander Woolcott

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help!Teriyaki a no-go? new
      #159496 - 03/11/05 03:35 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, it could be a number of things? Was the chicken white meat? You took the skin off, right? Did the teriyaki have high-fructose corn syrup and/or MSG in it? Both of those are common triggers. I can eat teriyaki just fine, just have to be careful of what's in the sauce!

#159515 - 03/11/05 04:59 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I agree with casey. Teriyaki is usually a good bet - but just read the labels on the container. Better yet, make your own. I've got a great teriyaki marinade recipe on the recipe board. It's SO easy. Just dump and soak.
I usually choose teriyaki meals at a restaurant over other things. Did you eat something else with the chicken? Veggies of some kind?

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

its ok, but be wary... new
      #159580 - 03/11/05 07:30 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

some of it has HFCS... I actually just do sushi at japanese restaurants and make teriyaki at home.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#176297 - 05/03/05 04:35 PM
notadocter

Reged: 04/26/05

This is amazing actually, I was about to make a topic with the exact same problem.
I had teriyaki chicken, outside my place, a few hours ago.
After eating the teriyaki chicken, I felt bloated, similiar to how I feel when I eat a hamburger or when I have dairy.
I'm wondering if it's possible there was lactose in the teriyaki, high fructose corn syrup, and fat.
I feel bloated, I have gas, and while I don't have diarahha I feel the constant need to go, there was no lable too.

#176312 - 05/03/05 05:22 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

What, is it terraki season or something? I was just thinking of making terriyaki chicken for dinner tonight.

Here's the ingredients from the Kikkoman Lite Teriyake Marinade I have in the fridge: naturally brewed soy sauce (water, wheat, soybeans, salt), sugar, water, wine, vinegar, modified food starch, xanthan gum, salt, spice extractives, garlic extract, dextrose, citric acid, sodium benzoate, less than 1/10 of 1 % as a preservative, disodium inosiante, disodium guanylate.

Okay, it's not all natural, but I don't see anything dairy-ish there.

Maybe just make it at home and check the labels.

Tirriyaki often has gluten in it new
      #176313 - 05/03/05 05:25 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

so there's a chance that gluten is the problem...

Just something to consider. Check the bottle...if it has barley, malt, maltodextrin, citric acid, caramel coloring (can't think of all the other possibilities)...it might be a prob for you.

Just a thought

P.S. IF it had MSG in it...that's a trigger for many things...IBS included (as someone else mentioned). So it may not be gluten...I just wanted to make sure all bases were covered

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Tirriyaki often has gluten in it new
      #176373 - 05/03/05 09:19 PM
notadocter

Reged: 04/26/05

I have no idea what was in the chicken, I bought it from the store already cooked, as you would in a restaraunt, perhaps MSG was the cause.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7296 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 894

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review