All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
acacia dosage-HELP
      #158910 - 03/09/05 06:01 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

I have been taking acacia (1/4 tsp) 2x a day for 3 days. I plan on increasing my dosage by the weekend to 1/2 tsp 2x a day. (morning and nite). After a few days can I safely increase my dosage to 1/2 tsp 3x a day or 3/4 tsp still 2x a day? Do I ever go 3x a day? I want to make sure that I do it the best possible way to make it work - thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: acacia dosage-HELP new
      #158915 - 03/09/05 06:37 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Try to go up slowly but do so when YOU feel you are ready. I have to go really slow! and get gassy and bloated from increases and changes. You do want to go with 3 or even 4 times a day if that option is available, since you can take smaller amounts it is easier to handle. Smaller amounts more often is best. Personally I would go up to 1/2t twice a day and when you feel fine on that go ahead with 1/2t three times if it works for you. When you start to increase dosage and not times per day then you should increase just once in the day for awhile. For instance, say you get up to 1t 3x a day and want to go up to 1 1/2t. You should stay with 1t morning and noon and 1 1/2 at night. Then after a few days go to 1 1/2 in morning and evening and then go to 1 1/2 three times a day. Does that make sense? However you do it just go very gradually and do it when YOU feel ready.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#158923 - 03/09/05 06:57 PM

This may sound dumb - but how do I know when I am ready when I still feel the same right now?

I would just prefer to take it in the morning and at nite because it is very hard to take it at work with the powder and mixing in food or my sandwich.

I think I will try and increase (slowly) still 2x per day.

#158940 - 03/09/05 07:32 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I mix my mid-day dose into a big 1L water bottle and just sip it throughout the day - MUCH easier than dealing with powders! Sometimes I also mix it with a little bit of water so it dissolves and put it in a tiny little tupperware container I have (I think it holds about 2tbsp) and then put that in a cup of tea after lunch while I'm at school.

Doesn't need to be difficult! But Minnie's given some good advice, go with what works for you!

As for knowing when you're ready... hmmm... well if you're feeling good and having no problems you can probably increase your dosage every 3-7 days (i.e. new dose... wait a few days or a week... new dose... etc.) If you're getting really gassy or bloated on it, that's a good sign that you should slow down a little. Keep increasing until a) you start to get really stable (which you might!) or b) you get to 3 tbsp a day. Everyone needs slightly different amounts of fiber.

#158945 - 03/09/05 07:37 PM

Thanks for the info - I still have extremely bad gas pains so it is hard to tell. I better wait for one week to pass before I increase my dosage to 1/2 tsp 2x per day. Then I will stay on that for at least one week also.

I have been taking my second dose at dinner - would it be best to take it before I go to bed??

Would rice milk tend to be more tolerable than soy milk? I am searching for answers - sorry for rambling and so many questions!

#158950 - 03/09/05 07:41 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I just responded to your other post about soymilk - is it possible that this is causing your gas more than the acaica? Maybe cut that out for a bit just to make sure you know how the acaica dosages are going. Yup, rice milk would probably be more tolerable if its the soy you're having problems with - but not too great for your protein shakes, as unlike soymilk it is very low in protein.

If you find you get a lot of IBS problems in the mornings (lots of people do, it's the worst time fo the day for me always) then taking acaica right before bed can really help that. That's what I do, and it does help. Then I take another full dose (1tbsp) in the morning. The third dose, as I said, I space out through the rest of the day by sipping water mixed with Acacia (1/2 tbsp while I'm at school and the other 1/2 tbsp while I'm at home in the evening).

#158951 - 03/09/05 07:43 PM

Thanks again for the quick response!

#158999 - 03/10/05 01:49 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I think you've been answered, but I just wanted to say a couple of things.

1. If you haven't had ANY (extra) side effects from the Acacia then just increase your dose after a few days.

2. Laurel said this, but remember it's always best to have more doses in a day than fewer larger doses...so maybe add a third dose in BEFORE you increase it?

Linz new
      #159186 - 03/10/05 09:22 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I am too lazy to go back to find the topic about nighttime bloating. But I have taken the fiber right before bed for a few nights and it hasn't done any good. I am bummed that it didn't work. I think I might have something that is additional or different in some way to make me bloat so much. I mean I am stable and very regular. I get bloated and gassy when I have to go and haven't yet done so- mid afternoon and need to go and can't or whatever. But like last night I was very painfully bloated. I went from 1 spoon acacia AM and 1 1/2 PM to 1 AM Pm and bedtime. That might have made me worse last night but in general I am still bloated and not D or C in any way. I think my bloating is extra stubborn, since it has always been the primary problem with me. In summer I am better. Anyways sorry to ramble but I am still wondering about that illiocecal valve. I might need to go in and talk about it. (wow I didn't mean to go into all that. I just wanted to say the bedtime fiber didn't make a difference).

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Little Minnie new
      #159347 - 03/10/05 03:45 PM

What is that "valve" you are talking about? It sounds like you are pretty much stable and the acacia has done you well.

I am hoping the same.

thanks!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3100 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1665

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review