All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to this,but wanted to ask you guys a few questions...
      #158773 - 03/09/05 12:12 PM
Maddie

Reged: 03/09/05
Loc: Boston , MA

Hello,I'm sure you guys had tests done to determine you have IBS, but for the past 10 years i have been trying to figure out what i have, and I believe it is IBS. Everything matches up, but anyway in 2 weeks i need to get a colonoscopy done and the week after that a upper endoscopy, has anyone had these done? Im terrified to have them done! does anyone have any opinions on it? and will these tests actually let me know what is wrong with me? Thanks so much! and i'm glad to have found this site, and Heathers book!!

Thanks
Maddie

--------------------
Thanks,
Maddie

-------
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New to this,but wanted to ask you guys a few questions... new
      #158780 - 03/09/05 12:25 PM
chi

Reged: 01/05/05
Loc: Chicago

Well, it's not that fun. First of all, check out the sticky on prep on (I think) the Crohn's and Colitis board.

Good job taking care of yourself and getting the tests done! From my experience, the worst part is absolutely the prep. The rest is not that bad (three cheers for drugs!).

If you have IBS, the tests should show that there is nothing wrong-looking. Because IBS is a functional problem, not an organic problem, you can't see it by looking at your insides. However, having all these tests will eliminate the possibility that you have something else, which may lead to an IBS diagnosis.

Good luck!

#158784 - 03/09/05 12:28 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

i'm fairly new to all of this too. it's frusterating how doctors who we think know so much...come up with everything else but IBS. I went to the doctor last year telling them that i thought that's what i had, because i got sick so often....and on occation be so constipated i was in huge pain..which i actually went to the ER for, because i was in so much pain, and seriously thought i was going to die. anyway. many many many people get the colonoscapy...i'm sure i'm spelling that wrong. It's one of those unspoken tests people don't speak of, because it almost feels taboo. this site has helped me more than any doctor really has. as we all have our days....i'm having mine...some days are worse than others...ESPECIALLY WHEN PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY YOU ARE SCARED OF FOOD!! (sorry i'm still trying to recover from my bad day...) but this site, and these people on this site are so informational, and so empathetic to everything, it's nice to know you arent some freak with weird bowl problems! i'm actually almost able to make a joke of it at times...that probably didn't help you too much..but welcome just the same!

#158815 - 03/09/05 01:42 PM
Maddie

Hi Lyndsey!

thanks so much for your reply.. I go thru the same things as you it seems, and im sure many others on here.. I have to explain myself when out to eat with friends and they NEVER GET IT.. ok so ill just be brave and get the tests done... I just want them to tell me i Have this or that, rather than me guess like i have been. Well thanks for the warm welcome

Take care

--------------------
Thanks,
Maddie

-------
IBS-D

#158816 - 03/09/05 01:47 PM
Maddie

Hi! yes thank god for the drugs huh! Im going to be put to sleep which i guess is what im nervous about (first time) Oh ya i heard the Prep is not so fun, I will def check that message board out,thanks for your insight!

Take care!

--------------------
Thanks,
Maddie

-------
IBS-D

#158848 - 03/09/05 02:44 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi Maddie,
Ahh the colonoscopy! I must agree with the other post that the sticky post on the crohn's board is the most comprehensive. I call it Jill's Bible. From Jill's Bible, I would emphasize the following:
If you are doing the phosphasoda prep, you WILL get nausious. Mix the prep with white cranberry juice - it's strong and will attempt (albeit unsuccessfully) to mask the horid taste. It also helped me to bit a lemon that had been dipped in sugar after swallowing each dose of the prep - get the taste out of your mouth! Also, sit when swallowing - preferably on the floor so you're not far from it - again think nausea. Through the whole thing - one important part - don't try to do the prep alone. You should have someone around if at all possible to keep you company in between trips to the bathroom, bring you gatoraid and jello and pat your head when you feel sickly. If you have more specific questions feel free to post and we'll try to help!
Good luck!
Min

I've had both and they're fine! new
      #159004 - 03/10/05 02:06 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

The prep is the worst part, but read Jill's Bible and you'll be prepared...the most important bit is a bathroom to yourself and NO PLANS!

The actual procedure is a breeze...and don't worry about the anaesthetic/sedative...it's not a problem.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2389 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 721

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review