All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
OUCHIE! Gas attack after Turkey Sand! What did i do wrong?
      #158759 - 03/09/05 11:22 AM
beanqueen

Reged: 03/04/05

last night i ate my 'first real meal' in a few days. i was a good 'SF girl' . turkey breast slices (only 2 thin ones) on sourdough bread w/ avocado a little lettuce and a little 'eggless low fat canola oil mayo'. i only ate about 4 bites.

i had eaten about 3 bites an hour prior w/o any real problem. had a shiatsu done (BIG SMILE ) and then ate another few bites. and then...dadadaaaa OUCHIE OUCHIE OUCHIE..gas pains like crazy!!!!!! thank goodness i had some fennel tea...which worked! amazing stuff...but....on the sandwich what did i do wrong?

these are the potential culprits..pls tell me what you think.
1) the turkey breast listed nonfat dry milk in the ingredients..but i'm sure it was just trace amts. i have an allergy to sugar..so couldn't choose the other one with sugar in it.

2) the eggless low fat canola mayo? i only put miniscule amts of it in there..

3) the shiatsu??? never had trouble like that after a shiatsu before..but she did push on my stomach a bit. overstimulation of the intestines????

i would so greatly appreciate your opinions..i was so excited to start eating some 'real food'.and then the MAJOR GAS ATTACK...really bummed me out. what did i do wrong???

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

How much.... new
      #158761 - 03/09/05 11:29 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

..avocado did you have? As they are a little fatty. And lettuce used to give me gas even in the smallest amounts when I was first starting out....

not a ton... new
      #158763 - 03/09/05 11:32 AM
beanqueen

just a little bit of avocado...i dunno..a thin slice..and just one leaf of lettuce. should i try it W/O the avo and lettuce? sheesh, i guess the idea of guacamole is a 'ways away' for me, huh?

thanks for your help!

Not sure.... new
      #158764 - 03/09/05 11:33 AM
nikjones_uk

..its most bizarre! Try it without and see how you go, I guess as Linz always says, its an trial and error thing - everyone is different - I can't eat turkey at all as I can feel my whole system going into shut down..haha, but I can eat a nice thin slice of beef/lean steak - weeeird!

thanks..'trial & error'..starting not to like those words.. ;) new
      #158765 - 03/09/05 11:35 AM
beanqueen

thanks so much!

AHAA! the culprit..could it be the turkey? here are the ingredients.. new
      #158772 - 03/09/05 12:05 PM
beanqueen

turkey breast, water, potassium lactate, nonfat dry milk, dextrose, salt, contains less than 2% sodium phosphate, modified food starch. browned in canola oil. IS THIS THE CULPRIT? TIA!!!

Re: AHAA! the culprit..could it be the turkey? here are the ingredients.. new
      #158781 - 03/09/05 12:25 PM
nikjones_uk

potassium lactate is an antioxidant, that wouldn't be a prob for me, but deffo the non fat dry milk would be, anything dairy for me is a no-no! Dextrose is a mixture of sugars, modified food starch?? thats disconcertingly vague! Depends how much canola oil it was browned in, deep fried?! Is this deli turkey or fresh, cooked yourself? I can't even handle fresh stuff for some strange reason, I never eat deli meat now, as its got so much cr*p in it!! Again, trial and error for you my dear!!

Re: OUCHIE! Gas attack after Turkey Sand! What did i do wrong? new
      #158864 - 03/09/05 03:23 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I don't think this will help, but I am very sensitive to sandwiches. they just never settle right even though I eat them anyway sometimes- completely "safe" ones. I'm not sure what it is so can't be of any more help.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: OUCHIE! Gas attack after Turkey Sand! What did i do wrong? new
      #158901 - 03/09/05 05:38 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

I just started eating Sara Lee oven roasted turkey on sliced italian bread -dry. Everything seems to bother me but this does not appear to be any worse. Could it be that it is oven roasted and I had it plain (I eat baked chips with it)???????

Several posibilities new
      #158931 - 03/09/05 07:12 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there!

You had a bit of mayo AND avacado and the turkey had oil...could be too much fat even as a bit of each thing.

Maybe you have a hard time digesting carbs and protein together?

The tiny bit of dairy woulda done it for me!

It could also be the shiatsu. If someone pressed on my tummy too hard it'd hurt me!

I hope you feel better...and that you are able to figure this out. It DOES take time! But you'll get there
*hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

thanks, ruchie! :) i thought avocado was safe/soluable..so i went for it! new
      #158969 - 03/09/05 09:13 PM
beanqueen

hmmm...it seems everywhere i read about FAT FREE MAYO...i thought low fat would be okay b/c of the fact that heather uses small amts of oil in her recipes. i guess maybe mayo is just more "there" vs. oils that are dispersed w/in a recipe? i also think the turkey could have been the culprit..(i'm in denial that avocado could be it...LOL ) it had alot of things in it, that sound chemical-ish, and the fact that it was browned in canola, too..could have been the clincher.

oh well..i'm gonna try some rice and avocado tomorrow (sushi!) and then the 'undeniable verdict' on my beloved avocado will be definitive. (sigh)

thanks again for your response, ruchie!
*hugs* right back atchya!

Avocado IS soluble! new
      #158985 - 03/10/05 01:27 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

But it's relatively high in fat for a veggie, so you have to take this into consideration.

It's likely it was a combination of factors - dairy, higher-fat levels, processed food AND shiatsu on your tum! Tell your therapist to be more gentle there next time.

Aaargh! I just noticed the lettuce! new
      #158986 - 03/10/05 01:28 AM
Linz

Lettuce is VERY problematic for me!

Guacamole etc. new
      #158988 - 03/10/05 01:31 AM
Linz

Try it again without the lettuce. And have guacamole (home-made) with baked tortilla chips - that way the avocado is the only real fat source so the snack is alot lower in fat overall.

Dairy is a problem for me even in tiny amounts. I put up with it occasionally to eat something I want to, but I always know in my tum when I've had any dairy.

Me too.... new
      #158989 - 03/10/05 01:32 AM
nikjones_uk

It feels like there are spikes going down!!

Lettuce & even trace amounts of dairy can be the problem - new
      #159187 - 03/10/05 09:22 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I wouldn't worry about the avocado. It has some fat - but is soluble and it is the good kind of fat. As long as you don't go overboard.

I have been sensitive to lunchmeat too -- Just really have problems with it. So that may be the problem. Each person is different though.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2517 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1841

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review