All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
After all that, I DO not have only IBS! Maybe useful info for some
      #158528 - 03/08/05 11:26 PM
MissyB

Reged: 07/22/04

I used to post here a while back, because I was told I had severe IBS ("and that is IT") by a GI Dr,,well guess what? GI man was wrong . I have an auto immune disease that affects my intestines, (Behcet's, it's kind of a cross between Crohn's and Lupus) No WONDER the more fiber I took the worse I got! when you have a disease like this, the fiber scratches you inside and causes swelling and irritation, which causes blockages and constipation. I have been doing very well symptom wise since I'm being treated for the disease by a rheumatologist. I don't even know if I actually even have IBS now. I just wanted to post an FYI in case any of you are experiencing other symptoms that haven't been put together with your intestinal problems, like ,mouth ulcers, joint pain, fatigue, chronic flu like feeling... I hope you will go check into it

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Missy new
      #158544 - 03/09/05 01:09 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

That's good you know what's going on!

What tests did you have for that? I'm curious b/c the symptoms are a bit similar to that of Fibro (like with Lupus) and I'd like to know which test it is in case anyone at the SG ever asks me. Thanks.

Re: Missy new
      #158730 - 03/09/05 09:55 AM
MissyB

Reged: 07/22/04

Linz,
Behcet's is very similar to both Lupus and Crohn's symptom wise. It's is an autoimmune disease of the blood vessels. The immune system attacks them causing ulcerations in various parts of the body, anywhere really. Since this started I've had eye, neuro and skin problems too. The intestinal symptoms appear very similar to Crohn's, so it's often misdiagnosed in the beginning if the presenting problem is intestinal in nature. Fiber causes tiny scratches in intestine's lining, because the immune system doesn't respond properly, these irritations ulcerate causing swelling and blockage. You know I probably told the GI Dr 3 times that I felt like fiber made me sicker, and he insinuated that either I was not really taking it or I was not taking the full amount he suggested because I was so constipated! He also ignored me when I told him about some of the other things I was feeling, like joint pain and the horrible mouth ulcers. I know Behcet's is fairly rare, but I did not know those were symptoms of Crohn's disease too until the Rheum told me, but even THAT did not give the GI a clue! That's why I figured I should post over here in case some of you guys who did not have luck with the IBS diet either might want to know to about this misdiagnosis or underdiagnosis. I'm not sure if I actually even have IBS or not right now. There is not one specific test, I think the inflammation markers and observation of symptoms are what my Rheum used...

Edited by MissyB (03/09/05 09:59 AM)

Thanks Missy new
      #158749 - 03/09/05 11:00 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

That's all useful to know.

Yep, with those symptoms your doc never have stopped at an IBS diagnosis anyway!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3559 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 698

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review