All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Any Good Book Rec's for GERD/Stomach Acidity (upper GI)?
      #158477 - 03/08/05 06:16 PM
beanqueen

Reged: 03/04/05

since i have IBS and GERD (acidic stomach) was hoping for any book rec's for GERD or geared toward the UPPER GI Tract. that way i can arm myself with heather's books for the gut...and hopefully a good book for GERD and upper GI problems..cross reference each other..and voila...my IBS/upper GI diet! TIA!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Any Good Book Rec's for GERD/Stomach Acidity (upper GI)? new
      #158524 - 03/08/05 10:54 PM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

Hello!

I have several books on IBS, one of them called: IBS: A Dr.'s Plan for Digestive Disorders. I'll share with you what I was able to find under upper GI.

Aside from clinical history and physical exam, they order a limited number of routine screening tests which can include: blood tests, urinalysis, and a stool specimin to check for blood or other abnormalities. They can do CT scans and check your liver, pancreas, gallbladder, etc. The possibility of adhesions is there but without direct visual observation such as a Laparotomy or a Laparascope, it's difficult to determine. An Upper GI series with small-bowel follow through may occasionaly help in making the determination. I also read that sometimes abdominal surgeries can worsen IBS symptoms.

What I can personally tell you from past experience is that when Prilosec first came out on the market I was at that time (13-14 yr. ago) diagnosed with a couple of things to include esophagitis. The Prilosec worked wonderfully. Now the Nexium is even better. And...as in Heather's book, don't do any form of Peppermint of any kind as it can make you feel worse. I hope this was somewhat helpful. Heidi

Re: Any Good Book Rec's for GERD/Stomach Acidity (upper GI)? new
      #158545 - 03/09/05 01:11 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

As well as peppermint, ginger needs to be avoided. And acidic foods and spices may be a problem. Other than that all the other triggers (high-fat, eating too fast, over-eating, carbonated drinks, ice-cold drinks, etc) should be cut out for IBS anyway.

thank you so much, heidi and linz! :) new
      #158754 - 03/09/05 11:13 AM
beanqueen

Reged: 03/04/05

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 964 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 755

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review