All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Daliatree and others...regarding sugar.
      #158260 - 03/08/05 10:38 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Ok, I'm hearing TONS of stuff about how bad sugar is for you. I can't/won't use artificial sweetners, and despite the info available about stevia, I'm a bit dubious about that too. I eat a fairly balanced diet, no sodas, no caffeine, not a lot of junk food in the house....how do you cut out sugar? I have two small children in the house and live off a very thin shoestring budget...I'd love to know how this is accomplished if it so very bad for me. Ideas?

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Daliatree and others...regarding sugar. new
      #158264 - 03/08/05 10:45 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

What's your diet like now?

What are you trying to accomplish in taking out sugar? that will effect what you do and how you go about it. Are you looking to get it out altogether...or just not to add it when you cook/bake?

No worries...we're here to help *hugs* P.S. My kids will not grow up on sugar....esp. since I have a history of fibro and ADD. And I don't use sweetners in general. For me...fruit is a treat and the only sugar my bod gets! i also use flavored teas when I want something with a sweet taste.

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#158275 - 03/08/05 10:55 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I just don't buy any sugary products. I have not baked anything using sugar either. I don't know if I will continue this once I start feeling better, or if I will then start incorporating some homemade muffins and breads with low sugar contents.

I don't put any sweetners in teas or on baked apples, etc. If it's not in the apartment, I am not tempted. I do miss my baked breads and muffins though! So don't know if I will live like this forever. I can't imagine never having another piece of homemade fruit or veggie bread again, or a pumkin muffin.

It must be hard since you have kids who love cookies and treats. But it certainly would be healthier to be raised without sugar so that once they reach adulthood they won't be craving it like those of us who have eaten it since childhood! They won't develop the sugar habit like us.

Hopefully, someone else can give you more advice.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#158296 - 03/08/05 11:17 AM
bamagirl

Well, I'm a plain 'ole southern cook. We drink sweet tea, but no sodas. Some fruit juice. But I do bake breads, cobblers, pies ect... and always have. I just thought that a good cut-back would be good all around. We keep apples, grapes, bananas in the house regularly, and other than that, just casseroles, vegtables, soups ect...nothing fancy. I probably do a dessert about twice a week...sometimes less. Yet, I bake a lot of biscuits, and honey and molasses flow freely there.

I'm just thinking I should really start cutting back if it so terribly bad for health in general. ADD is not an issue, nor is fibro, but high blood pressure, stroke and arthritis as well as cancer are predominant in my immediate family, so I'm thinking if sugar is the enemy....

My boys are 10 and 11, and have a healthy sweet tooth already established, but cutting back would have to be good. I just can't fathom how you cut it out all together. Just looking for ideas. Thanks so very much!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#158344 - 03/08/05 12:07 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

It is def. unhealthy to eat a lot o sugar. There was a study done by Mayo Clinic regarding fungi and sinusitis. And they are beginning to see that a fungus might be a cause of sinusitis! And fungi LOVE sugar and thrive on it! For someone like me...I can't afford to keep the fungi in my bod!

if you're truly concerned and want the sugar out...I say go for it. Make baked apples and such for dessert instead of pies. Your kids are a bit older now...but I plan to teach my kids the value of fruit/food. Maybe you could do some research and teach your kids what they eat when they put something in their bodies. Have them help you do the research a bit too...to get them involved. I am very careful what I put in my bod and I tell hubby every night at dinner what we are eating (we eat different things...and my food is packed with nutrients, antioxidants, etc.). Make it a game for them! If your children are inquisitive his will work even better.

A juicy, lucious pear is a real treat for me. EVERYTHING tastes better now that I have removed sugar from my life. Butternut squash tastes like candy! It CAN be done...and this is being said from a former sugar ADDICT!

Hope this helps...if not bug me till we come up with something!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

You're my hero! new
      #158347 - 03/08/05 12:13 PM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

...I am SO addicted to sugar...and its what has helped me put the weight back on I think! I'm going to have a hard job stopping it I reckon!! x

I'm going to do some work on this!! Thanks so very much!! -nt- new
      #158352 - 03/08/05 12:27 PM
bamagirl

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: I'm going to do some work on this!! Thanks so very much!! -nt- new
      #158409 - 03/08/05 02:50 PM
del e

Reged: 02/27/05
Loc: Clever, Mo

I am so glad to see this thread and to know that there are others here that don't eat sugar! And, also some that want to cut it back or out. Sugar is not a good food! I eat no sugar and the state of my gut has helped me to cut it out! Not too many summers ago I ate dairy queen everyday! I am a true sugar addict that has stopped. I miss it every day and want to have something baked to replace it. I love fruit but fruit is not what I am looking for. Did any of you see my post where I made the Mango Cake with stevia? I am trying to find somthing I can bake and just sweeten with the fruit in the recipe, no sugar. I did use stevia in the Mango cake but I think I could have made it easily without. Here is one tip to start cutting back: Cut the sugar in half in all recipes that call for sugar and use recipes that use a small amount of sugar in the first place! Sugar is additive and so it won't be easy to cut it out!
Del

#158441 - 03/08/05 04:20 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

good for you for wanting to give up sugar!! :-) listen, we live in a quick fix culture where we want pills to fix us and we lack patience...eg it can take a few months of hard hard work to reach a better place...not many people have those levels of stamina these days...
there is no easy way to give up sugar...you can decide whether to wean yourself off...(which would involve less extreme symptoms of withdrawal) or to go cold turkey. I am the kind of person that goes cold turkey because I get all inspired and then want to do it immediately!! but everyone is different...as long as you have your ultimate goal its a good thing...
the truth is, that once you are over the withdrawal, your taste buds adapt and suddenly EVERYTHING naturally sweet tastes sooo much better...squash, carrots, mango...amazing! plus, mood and energy swings disappear and you just feel so inspired you never look back! its wonderful...

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Just wanted to point out here... new
      #158557 - 03/09/05 01:52 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...(yup, I'm being Devil's Advocate again ) that sugar isn't an ENEMY and it's not bad in itself. It's just that our culture eats way too much...as Dalia said once, it used to be condiment and now it's a food in it's own right!

I'm finding that fruit easily sorts out my sugar cravings. Especially tinned peaches (in juice) which seem like a proper treat anyway. I want to start experimenting with fruit and veggie breads and see if I can make them without sugar and just fruit and honey!

Note: honey is ALOT healthier than refined sugar!

I wonder if you could bake a fruit pie without sugar? Some fruit (and veg like carrots) is just so sweet anyway.

Re: Just wanted to point out here... new
      #158577 - 03/09/05 02:28 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

You can definitely bake a fruit pie without sugar - my granny used to make an unsweetened apple or rhubarb pie every Sunday, served with homemade yogurt, but it was pretty sour to eat! She actually had a book called 'Sugar - Mankind's Number One Enemy'. All these debates go back quite a long way ...

I agree sugar should be used as a condiment and also it should be served without guilt or anxiety! It took me a long time to stop seeing sugar as the enemy, to break the cycle of bingeing and punishment and concentrate on eating in moderation. I don't like to see other people falling into the same trap ...

Josephine

Mango Cake question new
      #158776 - 03/09/05 12:19 PM
Augie

Do you really think it could be made without the stevia or sugar? Just using the other ingredients?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Mango Cake question new
      #158831 - 03/09/05 02:17 PM
del e

Reged: 02/27/05
Loc: Clever, Mo

I think I could be happy without the sugar in the recipe but I don't think a person that is used to eating any sugar would be. I just have to find the right GF flour mixture so I won't taste any one flour.

I started out using raw honey as a substitute for sugar but quickly learned that it is just as bad as using the sugar! Then again I killed all the enzymes in the raw honey by cooking it. Something else a person could do is to serve the sugar-less cake with some raw honey on it for those not off sugar. You would still have the great benifit of the raw honey howbeit....you still have sugar! Stevia is the way to go.

Del

Del

my family and i have NOT had sugar for over 12 yrs... new
      #158833 - 03/09/05 02:23 PM
beanqueen

Reged: 03/04/05

both my boys (now 12 and 11) grew up W/O any sugar. we used alternative sweeteners..fruit juice sweetened, brown rice syrup, date sugar etc... they grew up w/o a real sweet tooth..their pallettes are such, that many things that people consider 'not sweet' to them is blaringly sweet.

i also, have a problem w/ sugar so have always substituted w/ various sweeteners. many premade items i used to buy were 'fruit juice sweetened'..but i'm not sure if that'll work with the IBS diet. hmmm...either way, date sugar and brown rice syrup are great substitutes if you ever wanna give it a go!

good luck!

Re: Mango Cake question new
      #158927 - 03/09/05 07:05 PM
Augie

How much stevia did you use? A full cup as was called for in the "sugar" version? But isn't stevia much sweeter so less is needed?

I don't know if I even trust stevia though. It still seems bad to me, even though I know others use it okay. I don't want to try anything questionable now.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2853 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1464

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review