All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Enzymes?
      #158112 - 03/08/05 05:13 AM
M_J

Reged: 04/20/04

If digestive enzymes help, and digesting fats are a problem, is it possible that the problem stems from the organs that produce enzymes? is there a test to see if the body is producing enough enzymes?

thanks, M

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Enzymes? new
      #158120 - 03/08/05 05:43 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I don't know about the testing, but I don know it is proven and research is available, that your body stops making enzymes to a degree as you age. I am in my second month of digestive enzymes, and I think they are helping me. I did find out that it effects some medications (bc pills for one), so check that out before you start.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

taking digestive enzymes new
      #158257 - 03/08/05 10:37 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I had been taking digestive enzymes for almost a year. But now it has occured to me that if I do take them, perhaps my body will lose it's ablitity to digest on it's own. If the supplements are doing the work, perhaps my body will become dependent on them and stop producing them on its own.

Does that make sense?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Enzymes? new
      #158412 - 03/08/05 03:03 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Enzymes are present in the mouth (through saliva), stomach and small intestines, however they are created (mostly) by the pacreas (the liver and gallbladder also play a large role though in the creation of bile, which is also important to digestion.) Conditions affecting these organs - liike cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia, hepatitis etc. - can affect the ability of these organs to produce enzymes and other substances that aid in digestion (like bile).

However, poor digestion or IBS-symptoms are NOT good reasons to think you might have one of these conditions! It seems like kind of a stretch if you have no other signs that these organs might be causing problems. People's enzyme production naturally reduces with age. It's also naturally changed by eating habits - for example, if we never eat beans our bodies don't produce or stop producing much of the enzyme to digest beans, so we may have to help it out with Beano for a while! Some people are naturally without some enzymes - like people who are lactose intollerant are such because they don't produce the enzyme lactase. Some studies suggest that people with IBS are just naturally deficient in enzyme production, though this has not been proven in any way.

Anyway, you get the idea.

any science or nutrition experts... new
      #158665 - 03/09/05 07:24 AM
Augie

have any thoughts on the concern I have in my above post?

--------------------
~ Beth

bump please-nt new
      #158934 - 03/09/05 07:17 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Enzyme dependency? new
      #158956 - 03/09/05 07:56 PM
retrograde

Hey Beth

Sorry I didn't comment on this earlier - to be honest it kind of worried me. I mean, it kind of makes sense doesn't it? Why would our bodies need to keep producing lots of good enzymes if we keep giving them to it? I mean, I know that enzyme production naturally depletes as we age, but c'mon we're still young right! lol

I googled "enzyme dependency" and it came up with nothing so who knows... Maybe someone else can weigh in on this.

Re: Enzyme dependency? new
      #159230 - 03/10/05 11:34 AM
Augie

Yes, this is exactly what I am afraid is happening!! You're right. We are still young!! Are we effecting our bodies natural instinct to be able to produce them?

Do you take them Laurel?

I hope someone can help us. I think Kandee is pretty "up" on her science!! I think someone called her Doc on a post! Maybe someone can help us? Hopefully??? I'm very concerned that I may be doing something to permanently alter my body.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Enzyme dependency? --- anyone have any input on this? new
      #159276 - 03/10/05 12:58 PM
retrograde

Yeah I do take them, I'm not sure we really ought to be (or need to be) freaking out about doing something bad to our bodies - I mean, I 'm sure there are a lot worse things, like we could be smoking for goodness sakes... lol

Still I'd be interested to see if anyone has any advice or opinions.

Re: Enzyme dependency? --- anyone have any input on this? new
      #159305 - 03/10/05 01:43 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I spent a lot of time looking it up too. I couldn't find anything either. If this really was a problem - it would be out there listed. I don't think we need to worry about it. Remember - stress is a factor too ladies. This is something you don't need to stress about. If it's that hard to find anything out about it -- it can't be that serios a threat to your health.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 602 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4992

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review