All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
new girl with questions: calcium trouble, nighttime gas and cramping, fiber trouble
      #157877 - 03/07/05 12:08 PM
michauxd

Reged: 03/07/05
Loc: Richmond, VA

Hi everyone,

I've just read Eating for IBS, and I have a few questions. I was diagnosed with IBS in 1998, and have been adjusting my diet and trying natural remedies and prescriptions both before and since. My symptoms now occur at night and in the early morning, when I wake up with gas and cramps, and can't get back to sleep. I'm currently taking Miralax and a tiny dose of Elavil, which used to work better than it does now.

I've cut out dairy for years now, eat bread with no preservatives, use fresh veggies and fruit sparingly, avoid red meat, limit alcohol to less than one lite beer per week, and avoid red meat.

I have recently tried taking Citrucel before bed and when I am awakened in the AM, but this produces only very temporary relief. And if I take too much, then I become constipated. Can anyone recommend another brand that is particularly good for gas and cramping, that won't constipate?

Also, I've tried several multivitamins, including ones that say they are dairy free, and I still get gassy after a day or two on them. I think that it's the calcium--I get gassy after calcium-fortified soymilks and juices. Any recommendations here? I am often tired, even after eight or nine hours of sleep, and I think a multi, and/or calcium, might help.

Last thing--does anyone have the nighttime/early AM gas/cramping extravaganza? Does anyone know what might help on the spot? I've tried charcoal, aloe vera caplets, Citrucel, and a million prescription anti-spasmodics. The latter make me too sleepy and spacey during the day to use long-term.

Thanks!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: new girl with questions: calcium trouble, nighttime gas and cramping, fiber trouble new
      #157918 - 03/07/05 03:05 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Welcome! I am a terrible nightime gas sufferer. Well I used to be and occassionally am now. Anyway I don't know what causes it. I find squatting with my butt in the air and drinking lots of fennel tea helps. Nothing else would help but maybe a walk and who does that in the middle of the night? Oh yeah a heating pad/therma care pad may help too.

I am not sure why Citrucel caused C. So I can't help. Acacia sold here works great and doesn't cause C. Also I don't take vitamins so I can't help there. I eat a Luna bar everyday which is loaded with nutrition but I used to like my Total cereal! Anyway welcome and hope you get some help.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: new girl with questions: calcium trouble, nighttime gas and cramping, fiber trouble new
      #158079 - 03/08/05 01:28 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

A SFS won't make you C...you might have increased your dose too fast which can cause problems as your body adjusts to the sudden change. I'd try again cos a SFS is the first thing I'd suggest for this problem...maybe try a different one as you didn't get on with the Citrucel?

Are you now following Heather's diet suggestions re. triggers and SF? I know you were nearly there anyway, but often it's the little things that people think aren't that important that stop them from finally conquering their symptoms.

Also, try a cup of hot fennel tea when you wake up...and something small and SF. The problems are probably because you're tummy's empty (a good reason to take a SFS during the day and before bed).

Linz new
      #158110 - 03/08/05 05:05 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I take my fiber containing tea in the evening but not before bed and I am going to try that. I already pee every 30 minutes for the first few hours anyway! But I often wake with bloating- did last night- but it is never enough anymore to remain awakened. Anyway I am going to try SFS at bedtime.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#158198 - 03/08/05 08:37 AM
michauxd

Thanks for the tips. I'm ordering some acacia and the heat pads, and some fennel tea, because I see here that lots of people recommend it. I've had IBS for ten years and no one has ever mentioned it to me before!

I like Luna bars, too, but I've been afraid to try again because it seems that all calcium-supplemented foods (OJ, cereals, bread, everything!) make me do the gas dance. Maybe the fennel could make some of these more tolerable? And how does it work, exactly? Does it keep the gas from forming, or does it just make you fart?

• Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

• Re: new girl with questions: calcium trouble, nighttime gas and cramping, fiber trouble new
          #158204 - 03/08/05 08:45 AM
    michauxd

Hmm, I did start on a pretty high dose of Citrucel--patience is not one of my virtues. I am also very attached to my one, small, cup of morning coffee. It doesn't seem to affect me at all when I drink it, but I will switch to tea for a few days and see what happens. Heather's diet is so right with what I have found to be true through trial and error, that I am willing to go a little further.

I just ordered the fennel tea, heat pads, and the hypnosis CD's. Has anyone out there tried the latter? Did they work?

Thanks a million for this site, and the advice. It is a huge deal to feel like others are out there listening and relating!!!!

Coffee new
          #158218 - 03/08/05 09:07 AM
    Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
    Loc: England

Cutting it out really is worth it...and you'll have to give it more than a few days cos you're likely to go into caffeine withdrawal, plus it takes your GI system longer to recover. So just cut it out...until you're stable at least!

Re: Coffee new
          #158233 - 03/08/05 10:03 AM
    michauxd

So does that mean no caffeine at all, even tea?

#158234 - 03/08/05 10:04 AM
    Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
    Loc: Michigan

Just a note about Elavil. If you are mostly IBS-C then this can cause constipation.

Yes, elevil really constipated me badly-nt new
          #158246 - 03/08/05 10:25 AM
    Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
    Loc: Illinois

--------------------
    ~ Beth
    Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
    0 registered and 7824 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
          You cannot post until you login
          You cannot reply until you login
          HTML is enabled
          UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7212

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review