All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
new girl with questions: calcium trouble, nighttime gas and cramping, fiber trouble
      #157877 - 03/07/05 12:08 PM
michauxd

Reged: 03/07/05
Loc: Richmond, VA

Hi everyone,

I've just read Eating for IBS, and I have a few questions. I was diagnosed with IBS in 1998, and have been adjusting my diet and trying natural remedies and prescriptions both before and since. My symptoms now occur at night and in the early morning, when I wake up with gas and cramps, and can't get back to sleep. I'm currently taking Miralax and a tiny dose of Elavil, which used to work better than it does now.

I've cut out dairy for years now, eat bread with no preservatives, use fresh veggies and fruit sparingly, avoid red meat, limit alcohol to less than one lite beer per week, and avoid red meat.

I have recently tried taking Citrucel before bed and when I am awakened in the AM, but this produces only very temporary relief. And if I take too much, then I become constipated. Can anyone recommend another brand that is particularly good for gas and cramping, that won't constipate?

Also, I've tried several multivitamins, including ones that say they are dairy free, and I still get gassy after a day or two on them. I think that it's the calcium--I get gassy after calcium-fortified soymilks and juices. Any recommendations here? I am often tired, even after eight or nine hours of sleep, and I think a multi, and/or calcium, might help.

Last thing--does anyone have the nighttime/early AM gas/cramping extravaganza? Does anyone know what might help on the spot? I've tried charcoal, aloe vera caplets, Citrucel, and a million prescription anti-spasmodics. The latter make me too sleepy and spacey during the day to use long-term.

Thanks!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: new girl with questions: calcium trouble, nighttime gas and cramping, fiber trouble new
      #157918 - 03/07/05 03:05 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Welcome! I am a terrible nightime gas sufferer. Well I used to be and occassionally am now. Anyway I don't know what causes it. I find squatting with my butt in the air and drinking lots of fennel tea helps. Nothing else would help but maybe a walk and who does that in the middle of the night? Oh yeah a heating pad/therma care pad may help too.

I am not sure why Citrucel caused C. So I can't help. Acacia sold here works great and doesn't cause C. Also I don't take vitamins so I can't help there. I eat a Luna bar everyday which is loaded with nutrition but I used to like my Total cereal! Anyway welcome and hope you get some help.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: new girl with questions: calcium trouble, nighttime gas and cramping, fiber trouble new
      #158079 - 03/08/05 01:28 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

A SFS won't make you C...you might have increased your dose too fast which can cause problems as your body adjusts to the sudden change. I'd try again cos a SFS is the first thing I'd suggest for this problem...maybe try a different one as you didn't get on with the Citrucel?

Are you now following Heather's diet suggestions re. triggers and SF? I know you were nearly there anyway, but often it's the little things that people think aren't that important that stop them from finally conquering their symptoms.

Also, try a cup of hot fennel tea when you wake up...and something small and SF. The problems are probably because you're tummy's empty (a good reason to take a SFS during the day and before bed).

Linz new
      #158110 - 03/08/05 05:05 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I take my fiber containing tea in the evening but not before bed and I am going to try that. I already pee every 30 minutes for the first few hours anyway! But I often wake with bloating- did last night- but it is never enough anymore to remain awakened. Anyway I am going to try SFS at bedtime.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#158198 - 03/08/05 08:37 AM
michauxd

Thanks for the tips. I'm ordering some acacia and the heat pads, and some fennel tea, because I see here that lots of people recommend it. I've had IBS for ten years and no one has ever mentioned it to me before!

I like Luna bars, too, but I've been afraid to try again because it seems that all calcium-supplemented foods (OJ, cereals, bread, everything!) make me do the gas dance. Maybe the fennel could make some of these more tolerable? And how does it work, exactly? Does it keep the gas from forming, or does it just make you fart?

• Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

• Re: new girl with questions: calcium trouble, nighttime gas and cramping, fiber trouble new
          #158204 - 03/08/05 08:45 AM
    michauxd

Hmm, I did start on a pretty high dose of Citrucel--patience is not one of my virtues. I am also very attached to my one, small, cup of morning coffee. It doesn't seem to affect me at all when I drink it, but I will switch to tea for a few days and see what happens. Heather's diet is so right with what I have found to be true through trial and error, that I am willing to go a little further.

I just ordered the fennel tea, heat pads, and the hypnosis CD's. Has anyone out there tried the latter? Did they work?

Thanks a million for this site, and the advice. It is a huge deal to feel like others are out there listening and relating!!!!

Coffee new
          #158218 - 03/08/05 09:07 AM
    Linz

Cutting it out really is worth it...and you'll have to give it more than a few days cos you're likely to go into caffeine withdrawal, plus it takes your GI system longer to recover. So just cut it out...until you're stable at least!

Re: Coffee new
          #158233 - 03/08/05 10:03 AM
    michauxd

So does that mean no caffeine at all, even tea?

#158234 - 03/08/05 10:04 AM
    Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
    Loc: Michigan

Just a note about Elavil. If you are mostly IBS-C then this can cause constipation.

Yes, elevil really constipated me badly-nt new
          #158246 - 03/08/05 10:25 AM
    Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
    Loc: Illinois

--------------------
    ~ Beth
    Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#158280 - 03/08/05 11:00 AM
    quietwalker

Reged: 02/19/04
    Loc: West Texas

It sounds like you are having the same problems I have . I
    need to take Calcium & I read a article about IBS w/d
    the lady use, took 1 tablet before each meal & it help with her D. But she also said to start slow for a couple day as the calcium gave her cramps & gas. I have been trying but it does cramp me up. I can not take any form of Fiber. On the web site of Gastroenterology (American) it says some people with IBS D can not handle sf .Sometime makes it worse. I believe that to be a fact.Morning is my worst time
    so I cut out my one cup of decaf coffee & now I drink a cup of Chamiloe tea w/honey. But still can't seem to eat but a
    banana about 10:00 a.m. I've order & use the Fennel tea. And it help with the cramping. But I have to take Hbp med &
    its on the herb list as a no no to mix with med's. Anyway
    good luck . I just go from day to day & Eval I want to eat everything sweet so I hate to take it for the sleep part. So I take Librax 3 to 4 x @day. But still get the D in morning. No help here.

Re: Yes, elevil really constipated me badly-nt new
          #158288 - 03/08/05 11:09 AM
    michauxd

How much were you taking? I've been on it since 1998, and before it I felt like I never could empty my bowels, no matter how many BMs I had during the day, no matter how much fiber I took. Then my doc prescribed 12.5 mgs/day, and it was like a miracle drug. My BMs were much more regular, and the gas quieted down remarkably. Things have been up and down since, but never so bad as they were before Elavil, so I'm really reluctant to stop it. Docs since then have recommended Prozac, then Zantac, but I had so much dizziness and trouble sleeping that I had to stop after a couple of weeks of each.

My dosage new
          #158315 - 03/08/05 11:34 AM
    Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
    Loc: Illinois

Honestly, I can't remember. At one time it was 50mg I think. Then went down to 25 or 20mg, then cut those in half. For me it didn't matter, I was constipated on all levels.

If it works for you, then stick with it!!! Everyone has different side effects from the drugs. But I am surprised they would prescribe this drug for someone with Constipation as that is one of the prime side effects of this drug for most everyone, as well as for most of the older drugs like desipramine and Trofanol.

I am on lexapro, but thinking of switching to Prozac. I was on that in the past and can't remember having side effects. But I am seriously thinking about just not bothering with any of them anymore. I have tried about 6 and my body has not liked most of them.

GL

--------------------
    ~ Beth
    Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: My dosage new
          #158361 - 03/08/05 12:44 PM
    michauxd

Haven't heard about Lexapro--is it a serotonin-reuptake inhibitor, like Prozac and Zantac?

I'm thinking like you--going to ask my doc about stopping Elavil. I've been wanting to do it for a while, but am afraid of not being able to sleep--and Benadryl and Ambien, which is what they'll tell me to use instead, have their own host of IBS side effects!

#158415 - 03/08/05 03:08 PM
    RobinV

Reged: 01/08/05
    Loc: wayne,pa

michaud,
    I have been on a really good regimin for my iritable bowel , and Constipation. I take fiber capsules and a mild laxative from a brand enzamatic therapy. It can be found in the store whole foods or go to their website. The fiber is really good because it disolves and absorbes into the body within 5min. Also, the laxative is so mild it can be adjusted to your needs. It is rec. to take 4 but now I am down to 2 just at nite. It is not habit forming. I also take their probiotics for balancing the flora in your digestive tract, and metal magnet. Metal magnet helps expel the buildup of nasty toxins that have been in the body for along time. I have been on this routine for a month now and I had no trouble with C. I also take nexum for reflux. I I have found I don't have to take that everyday. I have even been eating cheese which was a nasty constipation trigger for me. Also, I have been really watching my diet and eating very clean and drinking as least 32oz of water or more. So give it a try, good luck.
    robin

#158421 - 03/08/05 03:20 PM
    michauxd

Robin,

Thanks for the tips. Did you also have gas and cramps?

Michaux

caffeine new
          #158559 - 03/09/05 01:56 AM
    Linz

Yep, caffeine is an IBS trigger in it's own right. Coffee has both the caffeine AND enzymes that are an IBS trigger, which is why even decaf coffee is out. But decaf black tea is usually fine (I have mine with soy milk...I said black to distinguish from green!) and decaf green tea is ok too. Rooibos (red bush tea) is a great pick me up with no caffeine!

#158808 - 03/09/05 01:28 PM
    RobinV

Reged: 01/08/05
    Loc: wayne,pa

Mixhaud,

Yes, alot> not so much now.

#158824 - 03/09/05 02:05 PM
    HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
    Loc: CA, USA

Hi!

I know they do use Charcoal for gas and bloating symptoms but because they can turn the stools black and that's always something Dr.'s would need to know about, I didn't want to get confused between black stools from Charcoal or on there own. What I've been using which many GI's will tell you to use is called Simethicone. It's an over the counter softgel. I always buy the store brand of Phazyme as it's cheaper than brand and it has 180 mg's to each softgel. Gas-X is also straight Simethicone at 125 mg's and less expense, expesically if you buy store brand. I always compare ingredient from store brand to ingredient from brand so I know they didn't add anything. Since taking this a year ago it has almost completely eliminated all the bloating. I get occasional gas but not severe or chronic. I also take another product over the counter called Digestive Advantage-IBS. It does have some fillers but the active ingredients are Lactobacillus and L Lysine. On the package it states that it takes approx 14 days to balance the digestive system if taken daily. They do say for stubborn cases it could take up to a week. This would be used for maintenance purposes. They're chewable and have a good flavor to them. It states that it controls constipation, diarrhea, gas, and bloating. I think it mentions cramps to but I don't have the package in front of me. Speaking of, I need to get more this weekend. I feel it's been (for me) "very" beneficial. I've worked my way up to between 12-15 grams of fiber as Heather's book instructs. It's been keeping me very regular. Here I've been taking FiberChoice a couple of years and have read the insert but for some reason I never caught the part about how it help keep the weight controlled. I don't need to tell you how thrilled I was after reading that. Good luck! I'm rootin' for you! Heidi

Re: HS how much gas -x new
          #158835 - 03/09/05 02:25 PM
    Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
    Loc: Dallas, Texas

gas is my major problem too. How much gas x do you take & how often. Do you take it for maintenance everyday or just when you have gas. I tried it for gas but it didn't seem to do much for me. Maybe I need to start taking it every day? I wish I could stop farting!!!
    thanks
    Meryl

Re: HS how much gas -x - Meryl re: Gas-X new
          #159315 - 03/10/05 02:38 PM
    HeidnOut

The instructions as to how many you can take on the back of the package state limited to two (2) softgels per day.....unless directed otherwise by your physician. Both Gas-X containing are only allowed at 2 per day, unless your Dr. orders you to increase it but I wouldn't without his orders. Each product contains active ingredient of Simethicone.

My PCP initially told me to take Beano and Phazyme (which I found in a store brand - several dollars cheaper). For months I told my PCP that Beano was a joke as I didn't notice any benefits for that. DING - DING...I wasn't taking it as directd on the bottle - before each meal. My own stupidity.

What I found is that it appears to take up to a couple of hours to cut through the gas if taken "after" a meal. I almost "always" eliminate that painful gas problem if taken prior to each meal. When I say before a meal, I don't mean 1/2 before, I mean "literally" before you eat and drink a full glass of water, or at least 1/2 glass before your first bite to give the meds a chance to start to dissolve so they work faster. It seems like the foods and liquids that we take in shortly after are broken up much easier and we don't suffer from those symptoms like you would normally without.

Seriously, this stuff, mainly for me the Phazyme or even Gas-X makes such a huge difference. I can even get into my regular clothes without much if any discomfort.

Since everyones body responds differently, it could take a bit longer before noticing any results.

I have read postings on this board where it appears that many people are using these type of products that have the active ingrededient of Simethicone. In one of my IBS books written by a Dr. Gerard Guillory, M.D. also mentions the benefits of Simethicone.

I wish you luck. If for any reason you don't notice a change the first few times, don't get discouraged and give up. Many notice benefits at different times. Good luck. Heidi

#159316 - 03/10/05 02:42 PM
    michele

Reged: 06/02/03
    Loc: southeastern michigan

I take gas-x pretty much every day!! Usually 2 with dinner. Sometimes I'll even take 2 more with lunch or before bed!! I've taken up to 6 in one day before!

It will not stop you from farting! In fact, it may make you fart more but they won't be painful and you won't bloat as much!! Gas-x works to break up the gas bubbles in your colon and lets you pass the gas easier!! I don't know of anything that will make you fart less!! If you find something, PLEASE let me know!!

--------------------
    Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: HS how much gas -x - Meryl re: Gas-X new
          #159317 - 03/10/05 02:53 PM
    Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
    Loc: Ontario, Canada

I take no name brand simethicone and it works well for me. I buy a big box of 60 gelcaps at Sam's Club for $4.80 Cdn. Much, much cheaper than Gas-X which my tummy didn't like too much anyway. I also buy no name immodium (loperamide) in big boxes there as well.
    I take 2-3 simethicone tabs a tab generally and two at once if I am doubled over. I also take loperamide about 2 times a day because I find it regulates my D. I have asked a GI about this because I was worried about overdosing or it not being healthy and he told me that I could take them whenever I wanted if they made me feel safe.
    I try to go without on days off, when I will be staying in or don't have important plans.

--------------------
    Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
    Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Hi Robin! new
          #159319 - 03/10/05 03:05 PM
    HeidnOut

You didn't mention how much and how often you are taking fiber. If too much fiber is taken it can result in gas. Depending upon how long you have been using fiber, you are supposed to slowly work your way up to the required dosage. Your Dr. should be able to further instruct you on this. It may also mean that there is a better form of fiber on the market for you to take. I used to take FiberCon caplets and had no benefit to them. I've used Metamucil which I couldn't stand. I found (for me personally that FiberChoice agreed the best for my body and what it was willing to tolerate.

I know many people take a mild laxative daily to help aid in regular bowel movements but in some cases (not all) it can counter act betweem the fiber and laxative. Laxatives are safe to take on a limited basis. Again, unless specified otherwise by your Dr.

There can be so many factors that play into IBS that's it's so difficult to avoid a reaction until you find what works best for you. I hope you find something that agrees with you. Take care. Heidi

Re: HS how much gas -x - Michelle new
          #159464 - 03/10/05 10:15 PM
    HeidnOut

The Gas-X is a good product but Phayme is at 180 mg's for straight Simethicone. If you combine that with three )3) Beanos just before you eat, it should eliminate much of the gas. Your answer may lie between taking both Beano and either Phazye or Beano and Gas-X.

You sound like you have enough gas to blow up the state of Michigan!!!! Just thought I would throw a joke in for you. I kow how miserable a person can get from that. Try it out for a 30 day period and see if it makes a better difference.

I will get killed for sharing this but, several months ago while my husband and I were in bed, he had to poof, and boy howdy did he ever let one go. It was shrieky and sounded like a trumpet. I told him that he should just be thankful and still awake because if I would have awaken to that noise and still groggy from sleep, I would have thought the second coming came and went. I kid you not, he had a trumpet out of his rear! Heidi

#164851 - 03/28/05 11:10 PM
    Jennifer1946

Reged: 02/13/05
    Loc: Karachi - Pakistan

Hi Meryl,
    I read your message about gas. I too suffered the same sometime back and just could not stop farting. It was embarrasing as in the office I had to go out every time it happened even going to church was bad. No tablets helped. Then I read somewhere that one should not drink water immediately after a meal but should wait for one hour and then take water. No water in between meals as well. I also roast fennel seeds and keep it with me everywhere thus munching on them several times a day. This is good for eliminating gas. I got immediate relief from doing these two things. Try it out. Hope you feel better. Jennifer

#164925 - 03/29/05 08:38 AM
    HeidnOut

I buy my gas pills in generic form too as it's so much cheaper. I haven't found a generic for Beano yet.

Re: HS how much gas -x Meryl new
          #164926 - 03/29/05 08:41 AM
    HeidnOut

I think it's an individual thing. Personally, I take mine for maintenance because my stomach has been so sensitive to many things I eat. I never had that problem before. I think I went with severe gas/bloating for about almost a year before my Dr. told me to try the Beano and Gas-X.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
    0 registered and 7928 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
          You cannot post until you login
          You cannot reply until you login
          HTML is enabled
          UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7212

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review