All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Beginning acacia help!
      #157742 - 03/07/05 07:57 AM
del e

Reged: 02/27/05
Loc: Clever, Mo

I am undiagnosed IBS and diagnosed celiac 2 1/2 years. Was just tested for allergies and have allergies to beef, chicken, soy, dairy, eggs, nuts, seeds, all cooking oils except olive oil, mustard, pears, vinegar,coconut, celery, grapes, raisins, mushrooms, MSG, gums, and a host of other additives added to foods so all packaged things are out!

For the last week I was following the ISB diet without the SFS and felt like I was doing okay. On saturday I started using 1/2 t 2x a Day of acacia powder. On the same day I started taking my powdered mag/cal supplement, which is taken right after I eat (best absorbed when taken with food). Morning is like this: I drink a full glass of water with the SFS, 30 minutes later I eat breakfast and right after I drink the Cal/Mag supplement (same plan at dinner time)! I am really bloated after that! This morning, I didn't take the SFS. I don't have gas, heartburn or acid reflex. Bm's are every 2-3 days, soft-formed.
So, can anyone offer any suggestions?
Del

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Blimey... new
      #157747 - 03/07/05 08:00 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

You are allergic to a lot of things! Poor you! As everyone says on here, it takes a while for your body to adjust to these things, as with all diety type things it takes time. Keep at it, and take a note of what you are eating and what is happening to your body, thats what I do - I'm a beginner with the acacia too, so am going through the "adjustment" period!!

Acacia is a gum new
      #157753 - 03/07/05 08:09 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

So if you are allergic to gums, acacia may not be the best choice for you. This could be part of your problem.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Acacia is a gum new
      #157815 - 03/07/05 09:28 AM
del e

OH No! I missed it! Which one is the best for me???
Del

allergy testing question..pls.. new
      #157818 - 03/07/05 09:32 AM
beanqueen

Reged: 03/04/05

hi, was wondering what type of doctor you went for your allergy testing...and what type of tests did they perform to figure out your allergies? i have what seems like a ton of food sensitivities..but don't have always just 'assumed' certain problems w/ foods. it'd be great to get tested for something more definitive. tia!

Re: allergy testing question..pls.. new
      #157854 - 03/07/05 11:03 AM
del e

I saw Dr Jeremy Baptist, MD in Kansas City, Mo. Phone number 913-469-4043 He is an allergist. People go to him from all over. He is very through and does not hesitate to do testing that you would never get done by going to a GI doctor, intern or GP. He did the skin test and blood test called an Elisa test. That is one of the best. However, here is a link to another test.
http://yorkallergyusa.com/dfa.html
Great link, also tells about different types of allergies, delayed and immediate reaction.
Del

Re: Blimey...new also at acacia new
      #157915 - 03/07/05 02:57 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

I just received my package of acacia today. I am planning on starting out with 1/4 tsp 2 times a day - taking it slow for a few days before I increase to 1/2 tsp. I was planning on taking one of my dosages before dinner and then another before I go to bed and then tomorrow doing one in the morning and one at night. Is that okay to start today so close to eachother -HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

wow, del...what a great site....THANK YOU! new
      #158238 - 03/08/05 10:08 AM
beanqueen

Reged: 03/04/05

choosing a different SFS new
      #158252 - 03/08/05 10:31 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

is just trial and error. There is psyllium in products such as metamucil which many C folks find helpful, but also notorious for causing gas and bloat!!

Or Citrucel tablets and/or clear mix powder, which is what I currently take. Some take Fiber Choice. None of those contain gums. The only ones that contain gums are acacia and benefiber.

Unfortunately, you just need to try one to see if your body tolerates it or if it just causes you worse problems. It's frustrating if you don't find one on the 1st or 2nd try. And expensive to have 3/4 containers left of these useless SFS!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

This should be fine, though... new
      #158417 - 03/08/05 03:13 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

..it's recommended to take the doses throughout the day - it'll do you more good that way because your body will have a constant supply of SF, i.e. 3-4 doses one at breakfast, 1-2 midday (before lunch/dinner) and 1 before bed.

Think of it this way - you don't want to let your stomach/intestines get emptied of SF, so the more often you have small meals with lots of SF and SFS doses, the better.

However, if what you're planning works better for you, there should really be a problem with taking them too close together (remember that acacia is NOT a drug!). The issue would be having the doses too far APART, but it really shouldn't be a problem. The best advice is to play around with it to see what works best for YOU.

Re: choosing a different SFS new
      #158424 - 03/08/05 03:30 PM
del e

Augie, Thanks so much for telling me which ones did not have gums! I am thinking those can be found at the drug store or maybe even the HFS. I may have a problem though because when I looked at the supplements at the HFS, they all contained ingredients that I am allergic too. Are there people here that get by without taking SF supplements? If so how do they do it?
Del

Del

Going without a SFS! new
      #158558 - 03/09/05 01:54 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It is possible, but it's just harder. I find that taking a SFS lets me experiment and just plain cheat alot more! So follow the diet extra strictly and make sure you're always grazing on SF - one of the best things a SFS does is help keep some SF in our guts all the time. So LOTS of tiny SF snacks throughout the day!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4271 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2217

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review