All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Does Singing Affect IBS?
      #157483 - 03/06/05 11:26 AM
lobstress

Reged: 11/29/04

Does anyone here sing in a choir or a some type of musical group? I used to sing and I wanted to get started again, so I practiced singing and tried using my diaphragm instead of my throat. The next day I had some D-trouble. Has this happened to anyone after singing? I don't know if this is possible, but I suspect that using my diaphragm to sing might have caused the muscle to push against my colon and push the food through it too quickly. Does that make any sense? It's just a theory and I don't know if your diaphragm can really do that, but I'd like to know if anyone has had a similar experience.
Thank you,
Sara

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does Singing Affect IBS? new
      #157490 - 03/06/05 01:05 PM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Well...I'm not sure about D as I am C - but I sing, and find that it makes me feel more relaxed, once I've warmed up and I'm breathing properly I find that it helps rather than hinders me! Singing is a real release of loads of things, its good to have a good wail! Well, it is for me!! Maybe it was something that triggered you off, and not the singing, just a suggestion?

#157500 - 03/06/05 02:01 PM
lobstress

Reged: 11/29/04

Thanks for your input. It could have been a lot of other things that caused the attack. I'll have to look back and try to figure what it was...

#157504 - 03/06/05 02:19 PM
little suzy

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: Maine

For me, if I'm not having a bad tummy day singing seems to help--almost feels like a massage for my stomach if that makes sense. Overall I think my voice lessons and singing work help my stomach a lot--same as nikjones--it's a real stress reliever.

But if I'm having a particularly nauseous day (my main symptom), it's not so good...

Generally though, singing won't set anything off if I'm having a relatively nausea-free day.

Singing is painful for me when new
      #157559 - 03/06/05 06:54 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I'm not feeling well tummy wise. I go to church and just lip sync as it hurts my tummy while trying to breath and sing out. I don't understand why. Just know it does. I'm IBS-C so maybe this is common no matter what if D or C. I miss singing my favorite hymns and often wonder if people are wondering if I'm too lazy to be singing my praises to the Lord. I know He understands though!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1602 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1034

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review