All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
need more soluble foods
      #157375 - 03/05/05 08:43 PM
del e

Reged: 02/27/05
Loc: Clever, Mo

Can any of you that have been doing this diet for a long time add more foods to the SF list!!

Del

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: need more soluble foods new
      #157442 - 03/06/05 09:14 AM
del e

I reread my post and it didn't come across the way I wanted it too. I am asking if you can think of more foods that are classified as SF foods, that are not on the list posted on this website.

Thanks,
Del

Re: need more soluble foods new
      #157458 - 03/06/05 09:57 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Del

I usually think of it as general categories that are totally safe:

- any kind of white flour product (bread, english muffins, bagels, pretzels, pasta, saltines, angel food cake, fortune cookies, arrowroot cookies...), obviously look for very low fat or fat free for the safest options

- really any cooked root vegetable (potaotes, sweet potatoes, beets, parsnips, rutabegas, turnips, carrots...) WITHOUT the skin, and anything low-fat or fat free made from them (like Baked Lays)

- anything rice (white rice, rice crackers, rice cereal, cream of rice made with soy or rice milk...)

- the soluble fruits (bananas, appelsauce, peeled/cooked apples and pears,, mangoes, papayas, avacado etc.) -- pretty much any fruit you can mash easily into a goo**

- If you can tolerate it (some, like me, can't tolerate corn, probably more for allegry-type reasons than anythign to do with fiber...) anything cornmeal (cornmeal, cornbread, polenta, corn cereals) - NOT actual kernel corn itself (that's IF)

- anything made from other mostly SF grains: barley, oats (oatmeal), quinoa, millet...

- a few other veggies, like all squashes (including zucchini, pumpkins etc.), and mushrooms**

- mashed and peeled beans, for most varieties, are almost totally SF**

**For all veggies, legumes and fruits in general, the more mashable they are, the more soluble fiber and less insoluble fiber is in them - which is why cooked veggies are safer than uncooked veggies, for example. Generally, removing peels/skins and seeds removes a lot of the IF from a food. Cooking it even more, and mashing it even more.

Hope this helps a little! I know it doesn't add a lot to the list but I hope it gives you a more general sense of what foods are safe instead of just picking from a list. This is the way I think about it anyway

wow, thanks for al this info new
      #157461 - 03/06/05 10:04 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

But a question. I see you listed millet as a SF. Is that true? That would be great as I avoid gluten so would be able to do millet easily as an SF base if it is. I always thought it was IF.

Also, mushrooms are SF too? That would be cool to add to if they are safe. I thought these were trouble makers for lots of people with IBS. I know, everyone is different, but as a general rule it is good to see them as SF. I guess I do remember seeing them on Heather's cheat sheet list and in her books. I guess because they aren't mushy, I don't think of them as safe.
Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: wow, thanks for al this info new
      #157477 - 03/06/05 10:28 AM
retrograde

Oops, you're right millet is mostly IF! Sorry about that!!! If you're ok with some other whole grains eaten with lots of SF it would probably be ok for you though. I know some of the other gals on here eat it. But yeah it's NOT a safe SF food - sorry!

Mushrooms are on Heather's list of SF foods but I think some people do have trouble with them, whether or not that's a fiber thing or not I don't know. Really well cooked they'd probably be safer (and mushier). I've never liked them personally so I don't eat them.

Re: wow, thanks for al this info new
      #157488 - 03/06/05 12:47 PM
del e

Thank You. I was surprised to learn millet was IF. It is a very light colored grain so I was counting it as SF. I am GI also. What about spaghetti squash? Is it SF? Wish I could have mushrooms but I can't because I am allergic to molds.
Thanks again,
Del

Yup, all squashes are a good source of SF -nt- new
      #157509 - 03/06/05 03:25 PM
retrograde

Thanks loads!-nt- new
      #157601 - 03/06/05 08:42 PM
del e

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2362 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1206

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review