All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
malnutrition
      #156618 - 03/03/05 03:40 PM
court10

Reged: 10/06/04

I am malnourished and my dietician wants me drinking ensures. Sometimes I can handle them sometimes not. They are lactose free and she says they should not bother me. Does anyone handle these okay?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: malnutrition new
      #156623 - 03/03/05 03:53 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

They are lactose free, but they are not DAIRY free. If you have problems with dairy, they may bother you.

I think someone on here was using them for a while, but I don't remember who. I do know that Spiru-Tein shakes are vegan and safe, and you should find those in a health food store, should you decide to pass on the Ensure.

I can't- new
      #156678 - 03/03/05 05:59 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

but I'm not just IBS, I'm dairy allergic... and LACTOSE is not the only bad thing in dairy for IBS'ers... Casey makes a good point- spirutein is dairy free.. and comes in many flavors, some of them premixed, and some as a powder to be mixed with rice or soy milk of your choice.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: malnutrition new
      #156724 - 03/03/05 07:47 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

Hey Courtney, it's Dana. I can handle Dairy of all kinds - milk, cheese, etc.. The reason I could not handle Ensure was because of the High Fructose Corn Syrup that was in it. BIG trigger for me and most everyone on this board. It is even a trigger for people who don't have stomach problems. I know that you are drinking a lot of them to gain weight, and if you are sensitive to HFCS which you probably are, that would definitely give you some stomach grief. Maybe there is something else out there that you can talk to your nutritionist about that has lots of calories byt no HFCS. I know that Whole Foods sells this stuff called Amazake drinks. A lot of people on this board have used them for extra nutrition and to gain weight. They are IBS save and are FULL of calories. I believe they are made from rice or soy milk. I can't drink them because of the sugar content but you could. I think they are like 300-400 calories per drink and come in a variety of flavors. They are a little expensive but worth it for nutrition and weight gain. I know the big Whole Foods here in Houston sells them. Some of the smaller chains don't. I know you can get more info. on the internet about them if you look up "Amazake drink"

Good luck

Dana

--------------------
Dana

Yes to Amazake!!! It's Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free and full of calories. new
      #156745 - 03/03/05 10:54 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

web page
See ingredients list. Oh yes, and NO HFCS.

I love their Mochi too.

Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3323 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 479

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review