All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Has anyone ever suffered muscle spasms in the throat which my Dr. says is connected to IBS?
      #156133 - 03/03/05 12:29 AM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

For the past 7 years I have been experiencing this horrible tightness in my throat area but not inside the throat itself. It's more around the gland area. I have talked to my PCP many times about this pain as it causes great difficulty in relaxing to sleep as well as much anxiety. It can last for hours and the only thing that has stopped it is the Xanax. When I saw my PCP yesterday I reconfirmed the area I was talking about and he again stated "yes" the IBS symptoms can travel up through the esophageous which stops in the area of the larynx but isn't settled in the larynx itself. It's really painful. If anyone has this as well, what do you do for it? Are there any kind of exercises other than yoga that help? I've tried yoga and can't seem to get a good handle on it. Thanks! Heidi

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Have you been checked out for GERDS? new
      #156142 - 03/03/05 01:03 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Gastro-Esophagal-Reflux-Disease. It causes all sorts of weird problems with your throat, but can be treated easily with meds.

Re: Has anyone ever suffered muscle spasms in the throat which my Dr. says is connected to IBS? new
      #156248 - 03/03/05 07:01 AM
thumper41

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: Wisconsin

I am no dr but it does sound simulair to what I experience. I suffer from an anxiety disorder and have the same symptoms and am on clonazepam for it. I too have tried yoga and meditation but could not get the hang of it. If you are suffering from what I suffer from you too might have alot of stress in your life even though you might not think so, your body does and is reacting to it. and that is why the xanax (I know I spelled that wrong) is working. But if you are thinking it might be gerd or reflux you might want to consider adding a broad range good digestive enzyme to your meal. Thumper

As far as I know... new
      #156252 - 03/03/05 07:03 AM
Linz

...a digestive enzyme won't stop GERDs (which can cause horrible complications if left untreated). You need something to stop the enzyme which triggers it off...like Zantac or Zoton.

Zantac... new
      #156254 - 03/03/05 07:05 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

When do you take your Zantac, I bought some today, was feeling particularly gerdy, is it right when the symptoms start? As I took it well into it!? I still don't feel better?

Re: Zantac... new
      #156266 - 03/03/05 07:19 AM
Linz

Zantac isn't actually the best one to manage GERD symptoms long-term. Taking it as soon as pos gives it the best chance to work...if it doesn't help much take another as per the instructions. And remember...stay upright, eat SF, no spices, acid foods or cold drinks/foods!

Good luck.

PS. Ask your doc about Lansoprazole (Zoton)...it's the bees knees as far as I'm concerned. Kicked my GERDs butt! I only have to take it very occasionally now and I was getting severe heartburn everyday.

Re: Zantac... new
      #156267 - 03/03/05 07:21 AM
nikjones_uk

Ok, thats great. I ate two slices of Hovis Best of Both (yep, bought it) and I don't think it agrees with me!?

I will - thats the proton pump inhibitor isn't it - I've heard of them! Cool, will do - thanks loads xxxxxx

Can you get some white bread... new
      #156269 - 03/03/05 07:22 AM
Linz

...anything really SF and bland like that is great for settling my GERDs.

Re: Can you get some white bread... new
      #156273 - 03/03/05 07:28 AM
nikjones_uk

I ate a really big pitta bread with white pasta and some cod for lunch. But have just had an upsetting/stressful phone call with a family member, so that has set me off again!!!

Eeek. new
      #156274 - 03/03/05 07:29 AM
Linz

Feel better soon!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1199 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8409

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review