All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Has anyone ever suffered muscle spasms in the throat which my Dr. says is connected to IBS?
      #156133 - 03/03/05 12:29 AM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

For the past 7 years I have been experiencing this horrible tightness in my throat area but not inside the throat itself. It's more around the gland area. I have talked to my PCP many times about this pain as it causes great difficulty in relaxing to sleep as well as much anxiety. It can last for hours and the only thing that has stopped it is the Xanax. When I saw my PCP yesterday I reconfirmed the area I was talking about and he again stated "yes" the IBS symptoms can travel up through the esophageous which stops in the area of the larynx but isn't settled in the larynx itself. It's really painful. If anyone has this as well, what do you do for it? Are there any kind of exercises other than yoga that help? I've tried yoga and can't seem to get a good handle on it. Thanks! Heidi

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Have you been checked out for GERDS? new
      #156142 - 03/03/05 01:03 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Gastro-Esophagal-Reflux-Disease. It causes all sorts of weird problems with your throat, but can be treated easily with meds.

Re: Has anyone ever suffered muscle spasms in the throat which my Dr. says is connected to IBS? new
      #156248 - 03/03/05 07:01 AM
thumper41

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: Wisconsin

I am no dr but it does sound simulair to what I experience. I suffer from an anxiety disorder and have the same symptoms and am on clonazepam for it. I too have tried yoga and meditation but could not get the hang of it. If you are suffering from what I suffer from you too might have alot of stress in your life even though you might not think so, your body does and is reacting to it. and that is why the xanax (I know I spelled that wrong) is working. But if you are thinking it might be gerd or reflux you might want to consider adding a broad range good digestive enzyme to your meal. Thumper

As far as I know... new
      #156252 - 03/03/05 07:03 AM
Linz

...a digestive enzyme won't stop GERDs (which can cause horrible complications if left untreated). You need something to stop the enzyme which triggers it off...like Zantac or Zoton.

Zantac... new
      #156254 - 03/03/05 07:05 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

When do you take your Zantac, I bought some today, was feeling particularly gerdy, is it right when the symptoms start? As I took it well into it!? I still don't feel better?

Re: Zantac... new
      #156266 - 03/03/05 07:19 AM
Linz

Zantac isn't actually the best one to manage GERD symptoms long-term. Taking it as soon as pos gives it the best chance to work...if it doesn't help much take another as per the instructions. And remember...stay upright, eat SF, no spices, acid foods or cold drinks/foods!

Good luck.

PS. Ask your doc about Lansoprazole (Zoton)...it's the bees knees as far as I'm concerned. Kicked my GERDs butt! I only have to take it very occasionally now and I was getting severe heartburn everyday.

Re: Zantac... new
      #156267 - 03/03/05 07:21 AM
nikjones_uk

Ok, thats great. I ate two slices of Hovis Best of Both (yep, bought it) and I don't think it agrees with me!?

I will - thats the proton pump inhibitor isn't it - I've heard of them! Cool, will do - thanks loads xxxxxx

Can you get some white bread... new
      #156269 - 03/03/05 07:22 AM
Linz

...anything really SF and bland like that is great for settling my GERDs.

Re: Can you get some white bread... new
      #156273 - 03/03/05 07:28 AM
nikjones_uk

I ate a really big pitta bread with white pasta and some cod for lunch. But have just had an upsetting/stressful phone call with a family member, so that has set me off again!!!

Eeek. new
      #156274 - 03/03/05 07:29 AM
Linz

Feel better soon!

thanks - nt new
      #156276 - 03/03/05 07:30 AM
nikjones_uk

Re: Has anyone ever suffered muscle spasms in the throat which my Dr. says is connected to IBS? new
      #156384 - 03/03/05 09:21 AM
HeidnOut

Hi. I do have an anxiety disorder which I've had for a long time. I take the Xanax because I sometimes wake up from dead sleep (thinking I'm totaly relaxed) and am having a full blown panic attack. If and when I ever get one during my waking hours, for the most part I can control it on my own with breathing exercises. My Dr. explained that while you're asleep you're body is prone to these attacks more so than while you're awake and staying busy. I started getting them when I worked in medical insurance and we had a new manager in our department. I had to take a week of medical leave from my IC and she went into a rage and threatened my job. It resulted in me having to contact Human Resources (which I didn't want to do, it would make things worse) and they didn't do much. I did have some witnesses as to the harrassment but they didn't want to get involved due to fear of their own job security. I put up with it for 3 years before I quit. When I came back after having been on leave, she stripped me of all my duties and basically made me do just Data Entry. I like to type so I don't mind but I had a lot of other responsibilities and was the one who helped set up a Pilot program, set up accounts, ordered supplies, in charge of training, etc. I was in a lead position. She also kept me from receiving in pay increases for those last 3 years. She lied about how much time I missed from work and I had copies of my time sheet. I had contacted Payroll to get the correct number of hours I missed and found that my Supervisor had doubled the time on my evaluation. I wrote a rebuttal and gave it back to her but because I knew I couldn't trust her I inter-officed it to HR to make sure they got their copy. Nothing was ever done. Since then I have been having these problems with my throat. The rest of my body might not be experiencing any other pains at all.

I exercise at the gym and do at least a minimal of 30 minutes of cardio a day and light muscle toning, walk my dog daily when it doesn't rain. I'm also taking Acidophilus, Multi-Vitamin, L Lysine, Lactobacillus Cultures, Papaya Enzymes, an FiberChoice. I've changed my diet quite a bit too.

I know Xanax and Valium are also used to treat IBS as I read it in one of my medical books. My Dr. confirmed that.

Heidi

Re: As far as I know... Oh, about Gerd new
      #156389 - 03/03/05 09:24 AM
HeidnOut

I forgot to mention, I don't have GERD. And yes, it can be very dangerous if left untreated. I was recently sharing that with someone who was describing their symptoms that sounded like GERD to me (I'm not a Dr. either) but from past work I know it can become a serious matter.

It could also be esophageal spasms from a delayed food allergy. Try an antihistamine like Benedryl.-nt- new
      #156448 - 03/03/05 10:29 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Kandee

--------------------

Re: It could also be esophageal spasms from a delayed food allergy. Try an antihistamine like Benedr new
      #157284 - 03/05/05 11:40 AM
HeidnOut

I have used Benadryl and it doesn't help at all. The only thing "so far" that does help is Xanax and I do not like to take Xanax unless I need it. Although, it is also used for IBS.

Re: Have you been checked out for GERDS? You mean Me? new
      #157289 - 03/05/05 11:45 AM
HeidnOut

Linz:

I wasn't sure who you were posting that question to since it's was a string under my original question. In the past I was checked for GERD but not lately. I couldn't get the last GI to do anything. My PCP had sent me to an ENT Dr. who gave me a medication to see if my symptoms were medical in nature or stress related. He gave me Nexium and it didn't do a thing and I did take it as directed. This next GI I'm hoping will be able to confirm what that spasm type of feeling is related to. Heidi

Re: GERDS new
      #158811 - 03/09/05 01:30 PM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

Well, I went to my GP today b/c I was tired of feeling this way. He thinks its GERDS and prescribed me ACIPHEX. Anyone know anything about it?

He said if it doesn't get better in a week, to return and possibly do an upper GI (I had one a couple of years ago). I'm praying it does.

Dee - I hope this is helpful new
      #158818 - 03/09/05 01:55 PM
HeidnOut

The type of drug Aciphex is, is called a Proton-Pump Inhibitor. It is used to treat GERD and stomach and/or duodenal ulcers. It isn't considered to be used as a maintenance drug and treatment typically goes from 8 - 16 weeks.

I have other information on it if you're interested as I have both a pill book and a PDR. I am known to check what side effects are, etc. before I will agree to take anything.

I hope this was helpful for you! If you would like to know about side effects, cautions/warnings, or other general information, you can email me directly: time2heid@cs.com

Take care. Heidi

Re: Dee - I hope this is helpful new
      #159007 - 03/10/05 02:13 AM
Linz

Here's medicinenet's page on Aciphex .

It's in the same family of drugs as Lansoprazole which is what I took with great results. Hopefully you'll improve in a week but it's likely to take longer to get it fully under control. The upper GI scope is a great test to have done tho as it allows the doc to check for any damage.

#159146 - 03/10/05 08:14 AM
DeeSingleton

Very helpful! I have also looked up GERD's so I sort know exactly what I'm dealing with. Do a lot of IBS'ers have GERD's?

Do you just maintain your diet to control the GERD's?

#159162 - 03/10/05 08:37 AM
Linz

Yup, just diet and the occasional Zantac.

I'm not actually sure how many IBSers have GERDs. It isn't that uncommon.

I have....boo - nt new
      #159165 - 03/10/05 08:38 AM
nikjones_uk

GERDS frustration new
      #159504 - 03/11/05 04:33 AM
DeeSingleton

I went to the doctor on Wed. and they diagnosed me with GERDS, and prescribed me Aciphex. He told me it would take a few days to see improvements, and I could continue to take TUMS if needed (they have been needed...A LOT!) Anyone have any comments on how long it took them to see some improvements, or any other advice to help? I'm really frustrated, and just want to feel better!!

Thanks.

Re: GERDS frustration new
      #159507 - 03/11/05 04:45 AM
Linz

It was a cuople of WEEKS before I saw real improvement, although my symptoms did START to lessen after a few days. Give it time...there's no problem taking these drugs quite long-term (in fact it's a good idea to get it properly under control) so don't worry.

Re: GERDS frustration new
      #159520 - 03/11/05 05:22 AM
DeeSingleton

Did you have some really bad times? I mean, sometimes during the day I feel TERRIBLE and have heartburn (I guess its what it is) VERY badly. To the point it crosses my mind something is seriously wrong with me!

Thank goodness we are skating in PE this week, and my fellow teachers have been very cool with it! I've had to sit out so much, which is SO unlike me! They even have told me I look like I don't feel well, and sometimes, I have to leave and go in the lockerroom and lie down!

Don't lie down! new
      #159521 - 03/11/05 05:25 AM
Linz

Even if you feel sick...lying down just helps the acids go up to where you don't want them!

And yup I had it pretty bad...thought I was having a heart attack or angina! Zantac's the best OTC around btw.

Re: Don't lie down! new
      #159523 - 03/11/05 05:30 AM
DeeSingleton

You're right....you've already told me not to lie down and I have been following. I meant just relax it came out wrong. I've been sleeping propped up too!

So after my 20 days of the Aciphex, would you suggest taking Zantac daily or just when needed?

(BTW, I got some Zantac that first day after you suggested it might be GERDS).

Aciphex new
      #159525 - 03/11/05 05:34 AM
Linz

Are you only on it for 20 days? Cos you might need it for longer...see how it goes. You want to be thoroughly settled down before you do without it. I was on Lansoprazole (the same type of drug) for a few months and needed it (if I tried coming off it, the acid came back). But after a few months my IBS was stabilising and I came off the Lansoprazole ok. Now I just use Zantac on the rare occasions I get acid attacks.

Re: Aciphex new
      #159526 - 03/11/05 05:41 AM
DeeSingleton

Yes, I only have 20 days worth. But, I'm going to my GI on Monday for check-ups and stuff (I haven't done much for about 2 years, just want to be safe) and I will talk to him about it.

However, I don't think it would be a problem to get more from my GP if needed.

Re: Linz - another GERDS question new
      #159700 - 03/11/05 02:04 PM
DeeSingleton

I seem to start having heartburn/empty stomach feeling/acidy (I can't really describe it) every few hours. Its almost like if I don't eat, the discomfort comes back. So I'll eat something safe, and I'm a little better. Just curious if you experienced this also. I feel like I'm eating so often!!!

Any suggestions for things to eat to help? Did anything really help you? Also, what about drink wise? I've been basically having nothing but water.

I guess I DO feel a little better. I had no appetite for days....but now stuff is actually sounding appealing, where before it didn't at all! Just wish the discomfort would subside!

Thanks!

Re: Linz - another GERDS question new
      #159802 - 03/12/05 04:00 AM
Linz

Oh yeah...one of my GERDs triggers is an empty tum, so snacking on SF is great for that as well as the IBS. Soy milk and Acacia actually helps with both probs for me...I guess it lines the stomach a bit.

Drinks wise...water, chamomile tea, fennel tea, soy milk, decaf black tea, Rooibos. Anything that isn't acidic or peppermint/ginger.

Re: Linz (or anyone!) - another GERDS question new
      #159931 - 03/12/05 02:09 PM
DeeSingleton

The good news...I AM feeling better today! I've only had to take 3 TUMS! WOO HOO!!

But my question is, when do you think its a good idea to start back on my probiotic and stool softner? I have been having my Acacia since this started (even though sometimes I didn't feel like it), but I was scared to take the probiotic and stool softner.

Even though I'm still healing, thanks so much Linz (and everyone else), for your help this week! You really helped me make it! Now to get everything stablized again!

Yep! new
      #160084 - 03/13/05 07:19 AM
Linz

They shouldn't affect the GERDs...in fact as I said before, Acacia in a drink can sometimes even help my GERDs a little bit. So get stabilised- that'll help the GERDs more than anything.

Good luck. Glad I could help out.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1235 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8409

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review