All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Hello - I'm new here.
      #156098 - 03/02/05 07:57 PM
Tessa00

Reged: 01/23/05

Hello Everyone,

I have been recently diagnosed with IBS. Went through all the testing to rule out Crohn's, Colitis and Celiac. I am IBS-A, leaning more towards C.

I started Heather's diet about 6 weeks ago. I have noticed some improvement, but still experience some pain and bloating everyday. But still... it is an improvement.

It is great to be able to come here and know that I am not alone in my suffering. My husband, kids and friends have been very understanding though, and that helps a lot.

Thank you for all the great information and advice.

Tessa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi Tessa new
      #156111 - 03/02/05 09:03 PM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

Hello. I'm fairly new to this board too and I'm finding so many people on this board to be helpful. I too would say that I'm IBS-A but more so on the C side as well. I sometimes suffer with D for a while but the severe pain is when I'm C and it cripples me to the point of having to go to ER. I try to let it run it's course and walk it out but sometimes it takes me to the floor.

This is pretty new for me since I had my first attack a couple of months after administering Hospice care to my Grandmother a year ago March 20th. I had 3 C attacks within a couple of months. This year I suffered 3 C attacks after a series of events happened when a storm knocked our backyard fence down and our Australian Shepherd became disoriented. Then while trying to calm him down he turned on me confused and attacked and by my hand pretty good sending me to ER. They put me on Cipro and Clyndamycin. A day or so later my husband got rearended at a red light with minor back injuries. I think stress has played a big role in my attacks but I have also been told by a fellow IC'er (Interstitial Cystitis) and my PCP that Clyndamycin is really hard on the gut and could have caused a major trigger. Plus I become mildly symptomatic during my monthly cycles.

Like you, I'm learning by reading and sometimes posting and/or replying on this board. I seem to find more people have D rather than C from what I've read so far. I'm reading a lot of positive information on this board. I'm glad I joined it and hope you benefit from it as well. Trial and error a lot. Take care. Heidi

Hi there! new
      #156146 - 03/03/05 01:17 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Have you statred a SFS as well as the diet...they're are really helpful, particularly if you're A?

And peppermint tea for cramps and fennel tea for gas/bloating are very helpful.

welcome... new
      #156192 - 03/03/05 03:40 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

and I second Linz- have you started an SFS- as an A I find that helps even more then diet, though combined with the diet I have almost no attacks anymore unless they are triggered by something major. Antibiotics, screwing up the diet, missing SFS, being sick or severe extreme stress.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: welcome... new
      #156265 - 03/03/05 07:18 AM
Tessa00

Thanks for the warm welcome!
I have been ingesting acacia powder for the past four weeks and I'm up to 4 tsp. a day. I also drink lots of peppermint & chamomile tea and take a couple of Heather's peppermint oil capsules a day. I haven't tried fennel tea yet.

I carry fiber supplements for when I eat out, as well as a SFS snack in case I'm running late between meals. I have cut out all potetntial trigger foods and pretty much stick to safe foods. I am having fun experimenting with combinations and always have something yummy to eat.

Besides the SF cereals/breads/foods, I have added rice milk, almond milk, eggbeaters, white chicken and turkey, tilapia, very small amounts of natural smooth peanut butter & natural fruit spreads, canned fruits and minced cooked veggies to my diet.

I just celebrated my one year anniversary for keeping off the 60 pounds I lost, so I try to eat enough to keep me healthy without regaining the weight. The fact that I exercise everyday helps with that, although it is harder to do so now. I don't think I am getting enough iron. Any recommendations since I can't tolerate a supplement right now??

Tessa

I just posted about the iron... new
      #156268 - 03/03/05 07:21 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...for Sue She...see that post here.

Sounds like you're doing great with the diet. Fennel tea is miraculous for gas and bloating tho...def worth the taste!

Re: Hi Tessa new
      #156380 - 03/03/05 09:20 AM
Tessa00

I am still having daily reactions, even though I'm sticking to safe foods. I can a meal one day and be perfectly fine, then eat the exact same thing the next day start suffering immediately. So I'm still working out the kinks!

My symptoms consist of a lot of gas and bloating, but no flatulence. Sometimes I have D, most often it is C, with just a lot of gas and mucus. The pain and pressure builds up and I feel it mosly in my lower back - so badly that sometimes I can 't stand, sit or walk and all I can do is lay on the bed with a heating pad. But I'm learning that I am affected mostly in the mornings and evenings. My safest pain-free times occur during the day.

I used to go running first thing in the morning, but I've had to change my schedule to accomodate my bathroom visits and give my tummy a chance to settle down. I can't run as fast as I used to because of the IBS problems, but I can still run 4 miles at a time, versus the 5-7 I used to get in. I have continued with Pilates and that really helps me to feel better after getting all stretched out.

Tessa

Re: Hello - I'm new here. new
      #156819 - 03/04/05 04:08 AM
thumper41

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: Wisconsin

Welcome !!!! I am Thumper and have suffered with IBS-D for over 4 years now. I have met some really supportive and wonderful people here I am sure you will also. Once again WELCOME !!

Welcome, Tessa.....you will love this site! -nt- new
      #156888 - 03/04/05 06:36 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1306 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 711

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review